Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A Thread About COFFEE

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I think it's really interesting, but I'm not sure how much of an actual expert the guy is on coffee so much as an addict and fan boy ;-) In each show he seems to settle for the first large farm he hits, but that could just be due to time constraints on the hour and editing. I would have expected him to pass on some or at least visit several farms just to compare quality before dumping $20k - $100k US on bags of beans.

I also like the show for the travel aspect. Always nice to see actual local areas in a more Tony-Bourdain-gritty style than you could ever hope to get with Samantha Brown.
    Exactly my feeling about the show. There have been a couple where he's passed on farms along the way, but it does seem rare; and, the show only has one tasting in it, so I have no idea if the farms he passes on are just due to the look of the beans, or if there are some tastings that are simply edited out due to time restrictions.

One thing that got me wondering if this guy is anything other than a fan boy is the Bolivia episode where he has an orgasm over some high-grown robusta, which he seems to denigrate in every other episode where he mentions the robusta variety.

One thing that seems impressive about Le Colombe is that they do seem to roast the beans "to order". Or, at least in small batches in response to customer order for the week/month/whatever. Or, the roast date on the bags of beans I got was just a ruse.

I notice you're from CT - any chance for the Prog On The Sound concert series to get you out to a show? Scott Corcoran the promoter is going to have to stop doing them if the turnout doesn't improve.
    I had completely forgotten about this. I see he's got Tom Brislin, here, in B-port on the 29th---right smack in the middle of the afternoon--but, I'm not sure I can make it. We've got a two-month old that has been consuming most of our energy, and the wife gets a bit irritable if she can't take her frequent breaks from our co-dependent little princess ;-)

In each show he seems to settle for the first large farm he hits, but that could just be due to time constraints on the hour and editing
    I've seen him turn beans down in one of the shows.

I also like the show for the travel aspect. Always nice to see actual local areas in a more Tony-Bourdain-gritty style than you could ever hope to get with Samantha Brown.
    Agreed - 'cept Bourdain and the coffee guy are ugly buggers, while Samantha Brown is cute!
    Regards,

Duncan

(Greg and I were posting at the same time )
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Agreed - 'cept Bourdain and the coffee guy are ugly buggers, while Samantha Brown is cute!
    Sam Brown is cute as long as you can keep a sock in her mouth. MAN! can her voice get annoying ;-) More so for Rachel Ray.

Now, put either or both of them in a hard-core (I could stop the sentence here, but I won't) show about back country reality tourism in some of the world's least advertised and gritty nations, and I think I could withstand the self-torture of enduring their yappity lap-dog-style banter for a good series or three.

But, that, I guess, is off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    (Greg and I were posting at the same time )
    Why does it seem like you use this excuse a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Sam Brown is cute as long as you can keep a sock in her mouth. MAN! can her voice get annoying ;-) More so for Rachel Ray.

Now, put either or both of them in a hard-core (I could stop the sentence here, but I won't) show about back country reality tourism in some of the world's least advertised and gritty nations, and I think I could withstand the self-torture of enduring their yappity lap-dog-style banter for a good series or three.
    Have you seen Samantha Brown in a bikini?

Hot!!

Rachel Ray - probably not so much.

Now - back to your regularly scheduled programming...
    Regards,

Duncan

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Have you seen Samantha Brown in a bikini?
    I have never seen her at all. Never heard of her before this thread. Kindly post a photo.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Borrowing from the thread about Frasier addiction, I'm curious how many of you have had authentically brewed 6 oz latte where the milk is 10 degrees cooler, all one creamy consistency rather than any "foam", and where the barista's skill has made the sugar hiding in the milk fat molecules come to the forefront so the milk tastes sweet without any sugar added and the espresso is a multi-faceted elixir you can taste in every sip. Heaven. Also, NOT about to become the standard in the USA cuz it can't be "Hot in a 20 oz cup to go!" Six ounces, people, made fresh in the cafe to be enjoyed on the premises.

↑I can’t bring myself to order a “latte.” Just uttering the word makes me sound like a yuppie douche.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

“It doesn't get any more...like this. Than this.” --Anders Lundquist

N.P.:nothing

^^^
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

The shit smells good, but I don't drink it.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have a feeling someone could substitute my morning coffee for some really good decaf and I wouldn't notice. I need the warm, unsweetened drink in the morning more than I need the caffeine. That said, time for another cup of tasteless crap - hey, it's free at work, and at my last job the free coffee was even worse.

I LOVE COFFEE!!

I have changed to decaf, meaning I am grinding decaf'fed roasted whole beans.
    It taste as good as normal beans, but I dont get the kick.
    I changed because I had an intenstine problem last year, and the doctor said that coffeine might be the cause.
    The problem somehow disappeared, and I dont miss the coffeine.
    In Café's and at friends I drink the normal coffee again, but in less amounts.

I just love Niles & Frasier Crane's neurotic adventures into coffe land at Cafe Nervosa. It's hilarious!

Interesting...

Regards,

Duncan

That's great, Duncan - is there one with ounces instead?

That's great, Duncan - is there one with ounces instead?
    Yep - Google found one for me:

Regards,

Duncan

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Interesting field guide, Duncan. Especially for those of us who don't speak Italian or French. I have had espresso. Not bad, but too small a serving. And IMO, brewed coffee tastes better. I have no tolerance for dairy, so most of the illustrated drinks are out, but I would like to try a black eye sometime. If I order one, will I be punched in the face?

I never before knew the difference between caffe latte, caffe au lait and cafe con leche. And I always thought noisette referred to hazelnuts. Or a Soft Machine album.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Useful guide, I agree.

I'd never quite understood the difference between a cappuccino and a latte.

Wanna have fun? Go to Starbux and ask the "barrista" for a Con Panna, a Cafe Con Leche, or a Ristretto
    Regards,

Duncan

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

"Alienated-so alien I go!"

In a lot of places what is shown above as a black eye is called a "Depth charge."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    In a lot of places what is shown above as a black eye is called a "Depth charge."
    I call it starter fluid.
    The baristas I see most often know me well enough, 5 shots, top it off with medium roast drip and a little ice to temper the heat.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

That vacuum pot - I got to do some side-by-side tests in Philly years ago with a rep from the Vacuum pot manufacturer and he brewed my coffee at the right strength on his V.P. and I used the cafe we were in's Fetco brewer - and there was no comparison. The V.P. was okay but missed all KINDS of subtleties.

Banned
    Caffe Americano looks like a joke. Who would add 3 oz of hot water to 2 oz of expresso?

Also, the guy operating the vacuum pot is great - but the off-camera guy and girl talking with him? I would shoot her just for having that voice, and he's a smug annoying worm

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Caffe Americano looks like a joke. Who would add 3 oz of hot water to 2 oz of expresso?
    Probably invented when Americans thought Chock Full o' Nuts was as good as it got.

Anybody here that have tasted Kona coffee with vannilla and crunched roasted macadamia nuts?

I got a small bag once from someone who had spend a week on Samoa and bought it there. I think the coffe blend was from Hawai (Volcano soil). I was amazingly good and different!
    I searched the net for it (its not available in Denmark) and found it online, but it was way too expensive for me.