Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: A Thread About COFFEE

I won't use the friggin' coffee-snob vocabulary.

I just say "small, medium or large", and always get what I want.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I won't use the friggin' coffee-snob vocabulary.
    No need to when you go to real coffee shops. The only time I go to Starbucks is to meet with a colleague and look at the women. It's amazing how much business those places do. Take all that crap out of the coffee and people would realize how utterly lousy it is.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

I thought it was the point when the smell of the roast began to cut through the stink of their cheeses.

A woman opened a little coffee shop in my town a few years back and roasts her own beans. Fair trade organic usually. This is by far the best coffee I have ever had. She explained to me one day that one size does not fit all when roasting beans. Beans from various regions need to be roasted differently to maximize their flavor. All I can say is that her coffee, regardless of what part of the planet the beans came from, is the tastiest I've ever had.

A couple of years ago my wife got me a Jura coffee maker. It's a put the beans in, water, push a button and it brews the coffee, type of machine. At first I was against it. I didn't want a machine that I felt I needed a PHd to operate. But once I set it the way I want to have the coffee made, its a push button and get coffee machine. It brews the coffee under high pressure so it comes out with the frothy foam on top. I go to Europe a lot and that's how I get coffee over there. Anyway, between the beans and the machine I've been drinking the best coffee I've ever had these last few years.

The woman with the shop has a website. I always see her staff packaging coffee up for shipment if anyone is interested.
    http://www.aeroastery.com

That's my coffee story. Now back to bidding my May schedule. Looks like I'm going to be in Brussels for Mr Hackett's show on May 16. I've had some fun things just kind of happen on layovers in Europe. This one could move to the top of the list if I can make it happen.

Did you've tried the Malasian coffee?
    It seems to be a total innovating event......

Nescafe Gold Blend instant....it does what I want coffee to do.

Don't feed the energy troll.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Occasionally I'll have an espresso at home or when I'm out. But brewed coffee at work usually tastes awful and I must say I'm no great shakes at brewing coffee at home, I either make it too weak or too strong, I can rarely get it to taste right.
    For me instant has a good rounded taste & gives me the kick I want.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    For a long time I was having a travel mug a day plus I'd usually grab another cup of coffee at work mid-morning. Been having problems with acid reflux so I'm down to just the travel mug. Sugar seems to aggravate the situation as well. I'd love to be completely free of coffee, but it's such an integral part of the morning ritual. Tea just isn't the same in the morning, hot chocolate is too sweet, decaf just seems wrong. And when I didn't get quite enough sleep, it's nice to have a little boost. Slooooowly weaning myself off the juice...

(I will really miss drinking "cafe sua da" - Vietnamese iced coffee.)
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Anyone know the name of the South American beverage that His Holiness drinks? I've heard the name but can't remember it. I'd like to try that, if it's good enough for il Papa then it's good enough for me

Just found it, it's called maté http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Just found it, it's called maté http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)
    The plant is actually called Yerba, which is a South American species of holly.

I've been drinking Yerba Mate since I had to quit coffee. I don't do it the traditional way, since I don't have a mate or a bombilla, and brewing it like I would any good Chinese tea works just fine. Although, I've found that people recommend wetting the leaves with cold water a minute or so before brewing as it is supposed to "protect the nutrients" in the Yerba.

The taste is a bit bitter, not like a green or oolong tea at all. It has about the same caffeine content as a green tea, but the tannins are vastly different. I can drink yerba on an empty stomach with no acid discomfort, but I can't drink green or oolong tea without at least something to eat before hand.

Thanks Greg. What does it taste like then? A bitter Ceylon perhaps?

Thanks Greg. What does it taste like then? A bitter Ceylon perhaps?
    Ceylon is a black tea, which has been cooked and fermented. Yerba is closer to a green tea, which is also cooked, but not fermented. Although, I don't belief Yerba is cooked at all--I think it's dried as comes off the tree. The bitterness of a Ceylon tea is distinctly different from the Yerba. The closes bitterness I can describe is to ampalaya, which is an Asian bitter melon, but Yerba is much more mild.

It's a bit difficult to equate with other teas. It's got more a hay/straw-like flavour, rather than a lawn-grass, green-leaf like taste as you'd get in some high quality green teas.

On the low end of the coffee spectrum, I used to enjoy Beech Nut coffee. It had a smoother, more enjoyable taste than most of the other brands. Sometime in the last 10 years, I stopped being able to find it. Is it no longer being sold? Google didn't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It's got more a hay/straw-like flavour
    Right, now I've got ya, I've tried various herbal infusions in the past with that type of taste.
    BTW, have you ever tried Rooibos? I really like it, got a taste for it when I was in South Africa.

I've tried various herbal infusions in the past with that type of taste.
    It's a bit similar, but not off-putting like the herbal remedy teas can be.

BTW, have you ever tried Rooibos? I really like it, got a taste for it when I was in South Africa.
    The only Rooibos I've tried has been a Celestial Seasonings tea blend. Unfortunately, that company covers the taste of almost everything with high concentrations of Hibiscus, so it's difficult to easily pick out the flavour of the Rooibos. They have an Acai and blueberry tea that is nice, but it's still got that darned Hibiscus. Not that I hate hibiscus; I jut don't want it in everything.

I do still keep my eyes open for a good Rooibos tea, but I haven't exactly been on a mission to find it. ;-)

I grew up there - and (sorry to say) I absolutely HATE rooibos. (We used to call it "bush tea".)

When I was in the S.A. army, it was the only thing they'd serve us (no coffee or regular tea) - and they served the lowest grade available.

Then they discovered that the factory had a rat infestation, and the tea had traces of rat shit. So they did something about the rats, but claimed they could never get rid of them 100%, so they started irradiating the tea. I.e. it now had germ-free rat shit! The joke at the time was - not "decaffinated" tea, but "defecenated" tea.

And through all this, the f***ing army kept serving the shit to us.

This was almost 40 years ago and I'm sure those problems have been resolved now - but I cannot stand the taste or even the smell of bloody rooibos.

(Sorry about the rant )
    Regards,

Duncan

Well, the US FDA appears to allow an "Average of 1 mg or more mammalian excreta per pound after processing" of various leaf products. So, we're still getting some poop in our foods, whether we like it or not. And, it was the FDA that decided to mix metric and imperial weights in the same friggin' sentence--not me.

I had found something on the internet suggesting that rooibos has anti-inflammatory properties, which is why I've been keeping an eye out for it. Not sure if I'll like the taste or not, but there are some things that I've gotten used to simply because there was a chance they'd help my recent allergic sensitivity to every friggin' thing in existence.

It was like that with the Yerba. The first few cups were not the most enjoyable things, but it seems to quickly grow on you. Now, I actually like the Yerba in the morning. I still really miss my morning coffee, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    The only Rooibos I've tried has been a Celestial Seasonings tea blend. Unfortunately, that company covers the taste of almost everything with high concentrations of Hibiscus, so it's difficult to easily pick out the flavour of the Rooibos.
    The only Celestial Seasonings tea I like is Morning Thunder, which contains only yerba mate and black tea. I rarely care for herbal teas. I have no objection to hibiscus tea or hibiscus flavor agua fresca occasionally. But I don't need hibiscus in other teas as a flavoring. The hibiscus-flavor agua fresca is known here by its Spanish name. The Spanish name for hibiscus is Jamaica, which is just confusing, mon. I have tried the Celestial Seasonings Rooibos, the only brand I have run across. I prefer black tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    (Sorry about the rant )
    No problem. Interesting story I would never have known about otherwise.

Speaking of bush tea, around here there is a wild-growing plant referred to informally as Mormon tea. It is the ephedra plant, from which ephedrine and pseudoephedrine are derived. I know what the plant looks like, but I value my health and have no desire to ingest it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    FDA appears to allow an "Average of 1 mg or more mammalian excreta per pound after processing" of various leaf products.
    So I'm picturing an FDA guy picking through the pile of tea for turds and eyeballing them, and throwing the ones that look like mouse poop back in.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Not sure if it's the discussion here or the coffee I drank....anyone else need to poop now?
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Coffee (caffeine) can exacerbate acid reflux.
    Acid reflux can cause asthma.
    Coffee is a good home remedy for asthma.