Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: A Thread About COFFEE

I had a cup of coffee one day at Caffè Artigiano in Vancouver from a Clover 1.
    That was a pretty smooth cuppa. Don't remember the exact bean that day, New Guinea perhaps.
    Quite the machine. Not the elaborate ritual of the vacuum pot. Not too shabby though.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

"Alienated-so alien I go!"

Thanks for the Slayer video. When he mentions how much service the existing machines needed, he's not kidding. The technicians I know who had to work on the first models hated them. Glad to hear that the loud angry mobs convinced him to go to a solenoid.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate
    Anybody here that have tasted Kona coffee with vannilla and crunched roasted macadamia nuts?
    I've had plenty of Kona coffee, but never flavored. Flavored coffee is not my preference, although I like both vanilla and macadamias outside of coffee. Most exported Kona coffee is lightly roasted. The light roast does allow one to taste the subtleties of flavor that make Kona different from other coffees. If you can get a darker roast (not burned, but medium-dark) it is even better, IMO. You are correct in your assumption that Kona coffee originates in Hawaii. Many Kona blends contain only a small amount of Kona coffee. The remainder of the blend need not even be Hawaiian. The island of Kauai also produces coffee that is good, but not as world famous as the Kona coffee that is grown on the big island. 100% Kona coffee will cost you more than a blend will, but it is certainly worth trying.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra
    Thanks for the Slayer video.
    That's not a Slayer video. This is a Slayer video:

if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Anybody here that have tasted Kona coffee with vannilla and crunched roasted macadamia nuts?
    I, too, am not a fan of flavoured coffees. But, I've had my fair share of Kona and Kona blends. 100% Kona is far cheaper in Hawaii, where they pretty much drink only Kona coffee (not even in blends). It was unavoidable when I was in Hawaii to have Kona. Not my favourite coffee, but still very good.

To me, there is a distinct difference between volcanic soil island grown coffees and what I'll just call "large continent" grown coffees. They seem to lack the underlying sour note that I dislike so much in Colombian coffee. But you can certainly taste the difference between coffee grown on two different islands.

I would stay away from the "Kona blends", as they really don't have enough Kona bean in them to make them worthwhile--for me, at least.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

"Alienated-so alien I go!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Thanks for the Slayer video. When he mentions how much service the existing machines needed, he's not kidding. The technicians I know who had to work on the first models hated them. Glad to hear that the loud angry mobs convinced him to go to a solenoid.
    I used to go to a place that used a Slayer - it was cool looking, and made great espresso. Best thing was they sold t-shirts that just said "Slayer" on them. I got one for my wife, and we thought it was pretty funny. I wanted to get one for our younger son, who was about three at the time, but they didn't have his size.

Hey, heard something on NPR this morning - it was really about internet addiction, but they talked about coffee addiction, and how it had to be decided if it should be added to the DSMIV - the document that lists the official criteria for mental illnesses, addictions, etc. They decided against adding it.

But I didn't know that "coffee addiction" was considered a true addiction. Although I love my morning coffee, I could easily skip it without any problems. Also, I'm pretty sure someone could switch my regular for decaf and I wouldn't know. It's really not about the caffeine for me - it's the warm beverage I like to have in the AM. It just feels like it helps get my innards to a good working temperature or something. More of a comfort thing than needing a caffeine fix.

Greg, I fell in love with Dallis Brothers' Brazil Fazenda Nossa Senhora Aparecida coffee, which you had recommended a few years back. It's the best I've ever had, but I could only find it at Whole Foods, and ordering it from Dallis Bros directly, the shipping is high (over $10).
    Do you know of any way to order it with lower shipping?

They're right on with the flavor notes they list:

"This lot provides a deliciously sweet, smooth cup laden with notes of honey, graham, milk chocolate and spice."

It's a bit like a liquid smore.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Hey, heard something on NPR this morning - it was really about internet addiction, but they talked about coffee addiction, and how it had to be decided if it should be added to the DSMIV - the document that lists the official criteria for mental illnesses, addictions, etc. They decided against adding it.

But I didn't know that "coffee addiction" was considered a true addiction. Although I love my morning coffee, I could easily skip it without any problems.
    Try drinking several cups per day of caffeinated coffee 7 days a week for a few weeks, then quit caffeine cold turkey for a few days and let us know how you feel.

Sometimes I have to fast to get blood drawn at the doctors--on those days I can really miss that morning cuppa joe, sometimes it gives me a headache. First thing I do is grab a cup after the blood work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Try drinking several cups per day of caffeinated coffee 7 days a week for a few weeks, then quit caffeine cold turkey for a few days and let us know how you feel.
    My habit was down from a few pots per day to a half pot per day for past ten years or so. When I recently had to cut it out altogether in an attempt to track down some new food allergies the lack of coffee was certainly noticeable: mild headache the first few days, general lack energy over th course of the day for about two weeks, constipation for the first month or so.

While I'd definitely say their is a "withdrawal" type impact on the system, it's still hard for me to see it as a true "addiction". Although I really do miss the taste of coffee, I haven't had the need for a "fix". But, I also quit--"cold turkey"--smoking almost four packs of filter-less cigarettes a day for numerable years without any problem, so maybe I just don't have an addictive personality.

Most of the time I drink de-caffed at home. It took me just a few days to adjust, the taste is basically the same. And somehow the large quantities of coffe I inhaled, made me exhausted or tired later during the day. It not logical, I know but nevertheless...

I buy de-caffed whole beans and grind myself. Sometimes I blend with 'normal' beans, depends on if I need a kick, or a different taste, since there are only 2 brands with de-caffed beans available.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Greg, I fell in love with Dallis Brothers' Brazil Fazenda Nossa Senhora Aparecida coffee, which you had recommended a few years back. It's the best I've ever had, but I could only find it at Whole Foods, and ordering it from Dallis Bros directly, the shipping is high (over $10).
    Do you know of any way to order it with lower shipping?

They're right on with the flavor notes they list:

"This lot provides a deliciously sweet, smooth cup laden with notes of honey, graham, milk chocolate and spice."

It's a bit like a liquid smore.
    Jed: I haven't seen this thread in MONTHS - so sorry not to have seen your query here till now (it's 2014!). Uh, the company that owned Dallis Bros and that Brazilian farm has sold Dallis Bros to an American coffee company - so the fate of that Nossa Senhora Aperacida is up in the air as far as I know. Also, I'm thrilled it pleased you, but each crop could taste wildly different from year to year, which means that the smore-like characteristics might have gone away. The only way I know to get the shipping down is to order it by phone and pick it up a day or two later in person. But, they're no longer in Queens.

Thanks for the reply, Greg. Never too late for coffee! Maybe I'll splurge and order the Dallis Bros coffee and try it again. Haven't really found anything to replace it and the Whole Foods we go to now doesn't carry it. Mostly relegated to drinking Peet's Major Dickason's Blend from whole bean. Not bad but not exceptional.

I am so depressed. I think my body has become allergic to coffee.

Up through last year I could drink it with no problems, but sometime during the year it seemed that my morning coffee started triggering my eczema, and I had to stop. I've tried a few times since, and it seems to have confirmed that coffee is a new trigger for my eczema.

So many coffees I wanted to try from everyone's recommendations, here. And, now I can't. Life just isn't same relying on Yerba Mate for my morning mug.

Please pray for me

^^ Well, that's a bummer. Are you a tea drinker? Could be a nice alternative. And there are plenty of great teas out there. ^^
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Well, that's a bummer. Are you a tea drinker? Could be a nice alternative. And there are plenty of great teas out there. ^^

Yeah, I do drink tea--have a lot of different loose Chinese teas--but it's just not the same in the morning. Coffee was my morning ritual. Tea is more of an evening thing, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    Coffee was my morning ritual. Tea is more of an evening thing, for me.
    I do the same. I drink tea in the afternoon and evening because it won't keep me awake when I eventually go to bed. But I need my morning jolt of coffee. There is no substitute. It's not all about the lift; I like the flavor.

Have you tried Celestial Seasonings Morning Thunder tea? It is a blend of black tea and yerba mate. Not bad.

It's not so much the caffeine for me, actually. It's the taste of the coffee in the morning that I really miss. The loose leaf Yerba Mate that I drink in the morning has more than enough caffeine to get me started.

It's the psychological thing about the taste of coffee in the morning that kind of says "don't worry, things could be worse than having to wake up". Tea just doesn't do that for me. It's more of a winding down thing.

Jed: The Dallis Bros type I'm drinking and enjoying at the moment is their Honduran. Still quite good, even under new ownership.

Greg: I can't help but suspect the colloids in medium-quality coffee as being potentially responsible for triggering your excema. Before you give up entirely on coffee due to this, try and find some extremely low acid coffees (India's Monsooned Malabar comes to mind) - and pay for the top of the line. George Howell Coffee Company has some great ones sometimes; Dallis Bros usually has an Indonesian Sumatra or Tanzania Peaberry that are both delicious and would fit the bill.