Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: A Thread About COFFEE

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have never drank a cup of coffee in my life. I took a sip as a teenager but that's it.
    I had a conversation with my fellow-geezer neighbor last week.....when we worked, we drank coffee ALL day....Maybe if we continued it today it would cut down on all the morning / afternoon naps.... He said he's miss his pre-dinner nap.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

And now for something completely different...

I WANT THAT MUG.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Well, most coffee is absolute SWILL.

I couldn't stand it until I tasted the real thing.

So, never say never....

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have never drank a cup of coffee in my life. I took a sip as a teenager but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Well, most coffee is absolute SWILL.

I couldn't stand it until I tasted the real thing.

So, never say never....
    You are right. I started drinking coffee as a student, because all that "Red Bull" thing was bullshit and coffee even with taste of piss wsa the only thing to keep me awake at 2 a.m. before exam, but several years later, when you can afford proper grinder and other equipment, learn how to make a good coffee, it's a completely different thing

The best part of waking up.
    toiletmug.jpg
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
    You are right. I started drinking coffee as a student, because all that "Red Bull" thing was bullshit and coffee even with taste of piss wsa the only thing to keep me awake at 2 a.m. before exam, but several years later, when you can afford proper grinder and other equipment, learn how to make a good coffee, it's a completely different thing
    Yes, there were times when I could drink and instant coffee. Fortunately, they are over. Now I don't even know what the end of the world should happen for me to give up my favorite Italian coffee beans.

^^^ There are some excellent memes on the Interweb with comments like that.

If I owned a coffee shop, I would make posters of as many as I could find and line the walls with them
    Regards,

Duncan

This hangs in our kitchen. A present from my wife.
    Robustcoffee.jpg
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

If you want to drink coffee black--my preferred method-I don't think going to Starbuck's is the best idea. Hell, you need to milk, sugar, and all those flavorings to make their stuff drinkable. That meme makes no sense.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I go to Starbucks almost daily, and feel no shame in ordering lattes/mochas/whatevers. I like espresso drinks with milk and flavorings sometimes, and I'm not embarrassed to drink them.

As to the guy who posted that on Facebook, maybe he thinks that kind of coffee elitism is funny. Life's too short for that kind of stuff, IMO. Just enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy things too.

Typically if I'm going to drink black coffee, I'll make it at home. When Starbucks started brewing the Pike Place blend in all their stores, I stopped getting plain coffee there for the most part. I used to get stuff like the Komodo Dragon or Holiday Blend when they would brew them in the store; it was better back then, at least IMO.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I make Lattes at home. I use Lavazza coffee, and my lattes are better than Starbucks.

I'm even learning latte art

Sorry, coffee purists - but enjoy it.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I make Lattes at home. I use Lavazza coffee, and my lattes are better than Starbucks.

I'm even learning latte art

Sorry, coffee purists - but enjoy it.
    Hey man, that sounds like fun! I'd like to try my hand at that someday.

How is Lavazza coffee btw? I've never tried it myself, but I'm curious. Been getting kinda burned out on 8 O'clock.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Hey man, that sounds like fun! I'd like to try my hand at that someday.

How is Lavazza coffee btw? I've never tried it myself, but I'm curious. Been getting kinda burned out on 8 O'clock.
    The experts here will probably argue with this but Lavazza and Ily are probably the best coffees you can get in regular supermarkets.

They even make Keurig pods now - expensive, but probably better than any other pod.
    Regards,

Duncan

Ember
    For those who like oily dark roasts, this is an unsolicited and unaffiliated endorsement of whole bean “Into the Black,” available only via mail order from craftcoffee.com. As a benchmark, I was formerly happy with the Starbucks French Roast I was getting for $14/2.5lb bag on sale from Costco. The Craft Coffee beans are $7.50 per 12oz bag with free shipping, arriving within a week of roasting. Other varieties available, untried by me, often more costly.

I personally like the slightly burned meta-flavor of some Starbucks coffees. I grind my beans and use a pourover rig, brewing one big 20oz mug at a time and drinking it strong and black. The Craft Coffee beans cost more — twice as much as the Costco sale price — but just make better coffee. Delivery has been reliable, although the USPS dysfunction did affect it by a couple of days for a while.

I first learned about this business from the New York Times Wirecutter site, which frequently covers coffee equipment and supplies.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Count me among the "brainwashed" that prefer the Starbucks style of dark oily roast. I've tried every method there is, from old-fashioned stovetop espresso maker to drip (paper or gold mesh filter) to french press to pour-over, but when we bought our first Jura superautomatic about ten years ago I was hooked and haven't looked back since. If I'm traveling I still love patronizing local coffee houses and roasteries, but at home ours is the best.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Greek coffee -σκέτος, is RIO of coffee.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    If you want to drink coffee black--my preferred method-I don't think going to Starbuck's is the best idea. Hell, you need to milk, sugar, and all those flavorings to make their stuff drinkable. That meme makes no sense.
    Maybe the guy takes his own coffee into Starbucks, making him just as elitist as he sees Starbucks customers. Maybe he made the whole story up. It's only a meme. I personally don't have a problem with people drinking coffee with whatever milk, sugar and flavorings make it taste good to them. For what Starbucks and their ilk charge, the coffee drink better taste good. But adding a bunch of flavorings just to make their burnt roast tolerable seems a waste of money. My main problem with their drinks is they are confusing and embarrassing for a grown man to order (although if I ordered one to my liking I wouldn't be embarrassed to drink it), and that's enough to keep me out of those stores and making my coffee at home. Plus, my own preference is for good-tasting, perfectly roasted, black coffee. But that's just me. To each his own.

I'd think out here in the west there'd be plenty of people who prefer cowboy-style black coffee. But the lines at Starbucks, Dutch Brothers, etc., prove me wrong. Life's too short to drink what you don't like. I've tried pod coffee at other people's homes and it tastes good to me. But in my home I prefer the ritual of grinding the beans and brewing the coffee each morning. Plus, I've seen scary movies about pod people.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer
    I've tried every method there is, from old-fashioned stovetop espresso maker to drip (paper or gold mesh filter) to french press to pour-over, but when we bought our first Jura superautomatic about ten years ago I was hooked and haven't looked back since.
    Jura is good, but I prefer an aged single-malt to the superautomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    My main problem with their drinks is they are confusing and embarrassing for a grown man to order
    I guess I just don't understand why it would be embarrassing for a grown man to order Starbucks drinks. If someone wants to make fun of me for what I order, that's their problem. The drinks are customizable, and I can only see that as a good thing.

I've tried pod coffee at other people's homes and it tastes good to me. But in my home I prefer the ritual of grinding the beans and brewing the coffee each morning.
    Pod coffee, like Keurig, is something I've really grown to dislike over the years. It just can't compare to coffee brewed from fresh grounds, at least for me. I think that Tassimo was better, but Keurig seems to be ubiquitous nowadays.

Plus, I've seen scary movies about pod people.

Jura is good, but I prefer an aged single-malt to the superautomatic.
    Can I have both, please?
    David

Just for the record, I do occasionally drink lattes, caps, etc. Still, that meme was weak. And Starbucks black coffee seems weak to me, too...and there is a quality decline from decades ago, IMO.

And Peet's has been my staple for decades--still is, though I buy from a bunch of places and try new things. Agree that Lavazza is decent stuff, too.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by aith01
    I guess I just don't understand why it would be embarrassing for a grown man to order Starbucks drinks. If someone wants to make fun of me for what I order, that's their problem. The drinks are customizable, and I can only see that as a good thing.
    The embarrassment, to me, isn't in the order. Anyone who has a family can't be overly embarrassed to order things with weird names. And certainly, I'm old enough not to worry about being made fun of. My embarrassment comes from my inability to speak or understand the Starbuckian language. Even if I knew what coffee drink I wanted, I wouldn't know how to order it. I would probably be equally embarrassed to order French food in French in a French restaurant. I just don't know the language.

Pod coffee, like Keurig, is something I've really grown to dislike over the years. It just can't compare to coffee brewed from fresh grounds, at least for me. I think that Tassimo was better, but Keurig seems to be ubiquitous nowadays.
    I haven't had enough pod coffee in my life for it to wear thin on me. But I can understand how it could.

I recently bought some coffee beans from Bali that I did not care for. I could have returned them to the store, but now that a pound is only 12 ounces through the magic of modern retail, I just finished it off and made a mental note not to buy it again.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer
    Can I have both, please?
    Absolutely.

... I've tried pod coffee at other people's homes and it tastes good to me. But in my home I prefer the ritual of grinding the beans and brewing the coffee each morning. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ...Pod coffee, like Keurig, is something I've really grown to dislike over the years. It just can't compare to coffee brewed from fresh grounds, at least for me. I think that Tassimo was better, but Keurig seems to be ubiquitous nowadays.
    Get a decent coffee in a pod, and brewing it is exactly the same process as drip / filter coffee, and the taste is the same.

If I had the luxury of TIME to grind the beans and brew the coffee each morning, I might. But time / convenience of the 30-seconds it takes me to grab a fresh coffee from a pod and get back to work cannot be beaten.
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm a black coffee kind of guy. A couple of cups in the morning and that's it for the day.
    I have grown to prefer a lighter roast with brewed coffee.
    With cold brew, which I drink in the warmer months ( transitioning to french press Real Soon Now ) a basic big bag o' whole bean roasted within the last month or so does just fine.
    The safeway columbian or breakfast blend 32oz bag for $10 is very doable.
    Single origin beans are a sometimes treat. They seem to work better with the french press.
    The aromatic qualities come out better.
    The one cup brew devices do something to make the water black. I had a pod brewer from the before 'k' days. I don't really see a substantial quality improvement with the new ones.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    If I had the luxury of TIME to grind the beans and brew the coffee each morning, I might. But time / convenience of the 30-seconds it takes me to grab a fresh coffee from a pod and get back to work cannot be beaten.
    This is what I love so much about the superauto machines. One button, and you have an excellent cup made from just-ground beans. The machines are spendy, not gonna lie, but when you spread the cost out over years compared to getting your coffee at coffee houses it's very economical. The only disadvantage we've found is that it's not convenient for serving to company (one cup at a time) but we have a FP and a drip machine for the couple times a year when that's necessary. I've had the pods, and, apart from the question of freshness, I just consider them wasteful.
    David