Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: A Thread About COFFEE

Mapping the world's prices 2019 - Copenhagen/Denmark tops the list on coffee 6,5 $ for a cup...

https://www.dbresearch.com/PROD/RPS_...CES_2019.alias

I was in Iceland last year and like everything else in Scandinavia (living like kings ain't cheap), the coffee I had at Rejkjavik Roasters was quite pricey.

I've just been looking to buy a burr grinder and I must say, I can't believe the prices they are asking. I completely 'get' the idea that blade grinders produce an inconsistent grind with some grinds coming out like little crystals and others like talcum powder in the same batch, but some of the burr grinders are way beyond my humble pocket.
    Anyone have any burr grinder suggestions less than say $35? Hand-cranked or electric, I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Anyone have any burr grinder suggestions less than say $35? Hand-cranked or electric, I don't care.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Manual-...fb39843e1a711c

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Coff...fb39843e1a711c

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gourmia-GCG...4AAOSw8sBb1yER

That's at a quick glance. There's myriad more on the bay.

According to This article at The Wirecutter about the-best-coffee-grinder
    you probably want to spend more than $50 on a burr grinder.
    Hand grinders will be sort of ok for 1 cup at a time, but grinding enough for a pot might prove to be more work than it is worth.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I recommend the Cuisinart Grind And brew. Should cost less than $80, combines a burr grinder and a drip maker with a timer - set it up the night before, wake up to a pot of freshly-ground coffee of your choice. Can't beat that with a stick. Not a big pain to clean either.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I've just been looking to buy a burr grinder and I must say, I can't believe the prices they are asking. I completely 'get' the idea that blade grinders produce an inconsistent grind with some grinds coming out like little crystals and others like talcum powder in the same batch, but some of the burr grinders are way beyond my humble pocket.
    I use the Cuisinart DBM-8 every day. Noisy but consistent.

I'm just amazed - but glad - that this thread is still going. Wish we'd all have met in the green room at NEARfest when I was running my coffee palace back then. Every year was a new magical find.

Are they good for grinding weed too?
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I'm just amazed - but glad - that this thread is still going. Wish we'd all have met in the green room at NEARfest when I was running my coffee palace back then. Every year was a new magical find.
    Fond memories of your NJ Proghouse schoolhouse coffee's. You made me a low acid brew that tasted delicious. I couldn't drink regular coffee back then, I'm fine now...
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Are they good for grinding weed too?
    Only if you need to snort it.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Only if you need to snort it.
    Dave Sr.

Thanks so much, Dave, I recall meeting you there. You were probably there for the My River Flows tour by IZZ? What a magical time....
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Fond memories of your NJ Proghouse schoolhouse coffee's. You made me a low acid brew that tasted delicious. I couldn't drink regular coffee back then, I'm fine now...

Thanks so much, Dave, I recall meeting you there. You were probably there for the My River Flows tour by IZZ? What a magical time....
    A memorable night Greg! hope you are keeping well...
    Dave Sr.

We use a French Press 95% of the time.

A song about coffee:
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

More coffee humor:
    -- Aristotle

A song about coffee? Piddling piffle. Try a whole cantata about coffee ... by JS Bach, no less...

Ahhh....Bach....
    Last edited by Sturgeon's Lawyer; 01-10-2020 at 10:42 AM.

But how WAS it? When the coffee's exquisite, price doesn't matter....
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I was in Iceland last year and like everything else in Scandinavia (living like kings ain't cheap), the coffee I had at Rejkjavik Roasters was quite pricey.

I just went full manual:
    https://www.crateandbarrel.com/hario...SABEgLGBvD_BwE

$58. It works well and is a burr grinder. And it works when the power goes out!

But how WAS it? When the coffee's exquisite, price doesn't matter....
    It was good. I always search out true and excellent coffee purveyors when I plan my travels. Latest foreign lands I enjoyed coffee in were Quebec City and Montreal. Both full of great coffee.

For the last ten years or so, my wife and I have used the Jura Capresso Impressa super-automatics. Spendy, but they're reliable, the quality of the beverage is excellent, there are tons of options/tweaks to account for personal taste, and honestly, once you've lived with the one-touch convenience for awhile one finds it difficult to imagine going back to "the old days". That's our experience, at least.

The one downside is that it's not great for entertaining larger groups of people. For that, we'll either get out the french press, or we even have an old Braun 12-cupper we can break out.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I'm probably the only one here who didn't know this.

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

That's a pretty cool graphic...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I've had coffee, black, and espresso, black. I don't even know the difference between steamed milk and foam. Not that I care. It's not up to me to keep the dairy industry in business.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973