Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: A Thread About COFFEE

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Coffee (caffeine) can exacerbate acid reflux.
    Acid reflux can cause asthma.
    Coffee is a good home remedy for asthma.
    Homeopaths believe that the "essence" of poison ivy will cure itches and rashes. Certain things are a whole lotta bullshit.

I have a Bunn coffee maker too, and they are expensive, mine is about a year old. It stopped working some time back, and I called them, left a message, and they sent me a new one free, and only asked I box up the old one. A pretty good deal I thought. I usually just drink Folgers, but sometimes will mix it with some decaf so I won't get jittery. I drink Starbucks, and have tried the vanilla Seattle brand too (it's a little bitter, but good for a switch--when mixed with some Starbucks decaf it makes for a pretty good brew).

My doctor said that a couple of cups of coffee was good for you, but decaf filters out those benefits, so he told me to just drink the regular. He stayed pretty current on such topics, course they can be subject to change over time.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Homeopaths believe that the "essence" of poison ivy will cure itches and rashes. Certain things are a whole lotta bullshit.
    OK, but there's nothing bs about what I wrote.
    Coffee (caffeine) can exacerbate acid reflux.
    Acid reflux can cause asthma.
    Coffee is a good home remedy for asthma.
    Caffeine not only helps to dilate the airways to help relieve asthma; it similarly relaxes the esophageal muscles to cause acid reflux, and acid reflux can be aspirated and irritate your airways and cause asthma.

I like the skit on Homeopathic Emergency Room on YT where they treat a guy who got hit by a car by scraping bits of the bumper and diluting it over & over again in water to create homeopathic "medicine".

Caffeine not only helps to dilate the airways to help relieve asthma; it similarly relaxes the esophageal muscles to cause acid reflux, and acid reflux can be aspirated and irritate your airways and cause asthma.
    I was commenting on the entirety of the logic, start to finish, which makes no sense: If caffeine causes acid reflux, which then causes asthma, caffeine is then a contributing cause of asthma. In the absence of acid reflux it may very well be beneficial as a remedy for asthma.

On the whole, low dose caffeine, especially in coffee (which has a lot of other constituents), has some health benefits; unfortunately, it also has many contraindications and side effects, as well.

I like the skit on Homeopathic Emergency Room on YT where they treat a guy who got hit by a car by scraping bits of the bumper and diluting it over & over again in water to create homeopathic "medicine".
    That is a great video... really depicts both the "science" of homeopathy, and the conundrum homeopaths create by removing any trace of the thing they call "medicine" from the process. It is, however, a really profitable industry as there is next to no overhead from investing in actual materials that heal people.

I was commenting on the entirety of the logic, start to finish, which makes no sense: If caffeine causes acid reflux, which then causes asthma, caffeine is then a contributing cause of asthma. In the absence of acid reflux it may very well be beneficial as a remedy for asthma.
    There is no one-size-fits-all reaction to caffeine. For some it won't cause acid reflux at all, so for those it could simply be a matter of caffeine being a benefit to their asthma. And of course lots of people don't have asthma...but they could develop an acid reflux problem. The logic only seems absurd if we assume caffeine always and invariably has the effects put forward in that seemingly illogical scenario.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    The logic only seems absurd if we assume caffeine always and invariably has the effects put forward in that seemingly illogical scenario.
    I was only commenting on the logic contained in the three lines that Dave posted.

Just got a new Capresso CoffeeTeam machine - the grinder on our old one died. The first cuppa this morning was excellent. I highly recommend this puppy.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    There is no one-size-fits-all reaction to caffeine. For some it won't cause acid reflux at all, so for those it could simply be a matter of caffeine being a benefit to their asthma. And of course lots of people don't have asthma...but they could develop an acid reflux problem. The logic only seems absurd if we assume caffeine always and invariably has the effects put forward in that seemingly illogical scenario.
    I wasn't saying that it always has these effects, but I have experienced all three.

Well, the US FDA appears to allow an "Average of 1 mg or more mammalian excreta per pound after processing" of various leaf products. So, we're still getting some poop in our foods, whether we like it or not.
    Speaking of poop in coffee, has anyone tried Kopi Luwak?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Speaking of poop in coffee, has anyone tried Kopi Luwak?
    Is that the $400lb stuff that they dig out of the turds of the civet cat? I usually buy what's on sale in a can.

Is that the $400lb stuff that they dig out of the turds of the civet cat? I usually buy what's on sale in a can.

Yes, and OH LORD, I'm horrified! Canned coffee uses the cheapest Robusta beans possible. Twice the caffeine as high quality Robusta and Arabica with a harsh and nasty flavour. If all you're looking for is the caffeine, I understand. But, there are cheap bagged coffees that are still better tasting than canned.

On the Civet Poop Coffee: I have no interest in trying it. It is very popular in Japan, apparently.

Yes, and OH LORD, I'm horrified! Canned coffee uses the cheapest Robusta beans possible. Twice the caffeine as high quality Robusta and Arabica with a harsh and nasty flavour. If all you're looking for is the caffeine, I understand. But, there are cheap bagged coffees that are still better tasting than canned.
    I find it smoother-tasting than, say, the hibachi-scrapings that they use at Starbucks, for instance.

I find it smoother-tasting than, say, the hibachi-scrapings that they use at Starbucks, for instance.
    Well, I'll give you that. Starbucks basically uses the same cheap-o beans found in the cans, and then burns them to a crisp so it "tastes like strong coffee". At least the companies that produce canned coffee use more sensible roasting methods--unless you include the canned espresso blends, and those odd-ball brands you'd find in bodegas.

Really late coming into this thread, but my favorite coffee is Cafe Du Monde coffee w/ chicory. Not as much caffeine as just coffee, but a much darker, "heavy" flavor. I love it. That's all I make at home anymore.

An article on cat scat java!

http://world.time.com/2013/10/02/the...-cynical-scam/

When I was a kid Blue Mountain was traditionally the best and dearest coffee.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaica...ountain_Coffee

But here is the current top 10:
    http://www.therichest.com/luxury/mos...-in-the-world/

And if you thought the cat scat java was expensive, check out this uberexpensive panda poo cha!
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82I04O20120319
    Last edited by PeterG; 04-23-2014 at 06:34 AM.

Price isn't everything.....

I would be lying if I said this did not make me throw up just a little
    Unholy Alliance Of Coffee And Wine Unite In A Can
    http://consumerist.com/2014/06/27/un...nite-in-a-can/

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Well I haven't looked at this thread in months - but I tried a new coffee that was so good I had to tell somebody. The company is called Nobletree Coffee (a FAL Company) in Brooklyn and the coffee I loved was their Nicaraguan. Truly exceptional.

RE: canned coffee. When I was visiting my friend Dan (R.I.P.) in New York in 2007, he recommended Café Bustelo because, “it’s what all the Puerto Ricans drink.” Blech! That was the last time I ever had ground coffee from a can! I remember my dad used to drink Folger’s growing up. I wish I could find that link where contemporary coffee conoisseurs taste-test canned “old man” coffee. They were surprisingly positive about Chock Full o’ Nuts but their reaction to Maxwell House was hilarious. How could Cora the Coffee Lady lie to us?

I think my favourite local coffee comes from Highwire near the Rockridge BART station in Oakland. I rarely drink it, though, as there’s little place to hang out there and no free wifi. And the bagged beans are freakin’ expensive! Maybe I’ll treat myself one day, but in the meantime I’ll have the bagged Tanzanian beans from Grocery Outlet.

RE: Kopi Luwak. There’s a place in San Mateo that sells it for $40 a cup. I can’t justify curiosity at that high a price and besides, I just don’t want to drink poop!

Though, like Stephen Colbert says/sings, “The best part of waking up is drinking coffee pooped by a cat!”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I know a few people who rave about Tanzanian coffee. I have some Kimemo brand Tanzanian bean coffee and its just ok. I was gifted it by my son who got it through some acquaintance of his. Meh. I'm fine with Tony's or Starbucks or whatever reputable purveyor of bagged coffee. Its is hard to drink brands life Folgers or Maxwell House after getting used fresh grind though, but will in a pinch. Never been much of a beverage snob. My fave style is french roast in any brand.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abricadabra
    the coffee I loved was their Nicaraguan. Truly exceptional.
    I had heard maybe a year ago that Nicaraguan coffee was good, but it wasn't until recently that I had a chance to try it. Good stuff.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I got some Rwandan coffee last week that is pretty nice.
    Probably not worth the premium.
    Had Nicaraguan before, had some sort of chocolate/cocoa notes that were nice.

My latest local roaster is Cervantes coffee, local to Springfield VA and Sterling VA.
    Nice folks with a quality product.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    RE: canned coffee. When I was visiting my friend Dan (R.I.P.) in New York in 2007, he recommended Café Bustelo because, “it’s what all the Puerto Ricans drink.” Blech! That was the last time I ever had ground coffee from a can! I remember my dad used to drink Folger’s growing up. I wish I could find that link where contemporary coffee conoisseurs taste-test canned “old man” coffee. They were surprisingly positive about Chock Full o’ Nuts but their reaction to Maxwell House was hilarious. How could Cora the Coffee Lady lie to us?

I think my favourite local coffee comes from Highwire near the Rockridge BART station in Oakland. I rarely drink it, though, as there’s little place to hang out there and no free wifi. And the bagged beans are freakin’ expensive! Maybe I’ll treat myself one day, but in the meantime I’ll have the bagged Tanzanian beans from Grocery Outlet.

RE: Kopi Luwak. There’s a place in San Mateo that sells it for $40 a cup. I can’t justify curiosity at that high a price and besides, I just don’t want to drink poop!

Though, like Stephen Colbert says/sings, “The best part of waking up is drinking coffee pooped by a cat!”
    The exact phrase some of the ads used was "The favorite coffee of all Hispanics." I'm surprised they didn't get sued!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I want to make some of that Civet Cat coffee, but instead of a Civet Cat I'll use myself.