Thread: Steven Wilson -- "The Raven..."

Steven Wilson -- "The Raven..."

I apologize in advance if this has been part of a number of previous threads.

I was late to Porcupine Tree and only began listening to Steven Wilson in earnest last year. Which is extremely unfortunate, because "The Raven..." album is just stunning, and the title track may be my favorite song by anyone, ever. So, needless to say, I am bummed I missed his tour for that album, though I do have tickets for a May show for the new album.

My question concerns "The Raven..." release. I know there was a 4-disc boxed set released, which sold out long ago. I have located a 2-disc set, but am unsure what is exactly contained in this set. Is there an expansive booklet? What is on the second disc? The description of the same on the site I found it upon was not too descriptive. Does it contain the 30 minute documentary on the making of the album?

I have the "Drive Home" Blu-Ray DVD, and I understand that the Blu-Ray Audio DVD contains the documentary, so I'm attempting to determine which one I should pick up, since I'm out of luck in getting the 4-disc set (without spending a lot of $ for it).

Thanks in advance! This is my first post, and I am looking forward to discussions on SW/PT, Rush, and Genesis (my 3 favorite prog bands).
    Last edited by warrior21; 01-27-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Suspended
    Steven Wilson's "special editions" are always expensive. Oh, sorry, you said "expansive".

This album has definitely been mentioned many times on this site. Is The Raven the only SW album you have? Many of his fans consider this album the weakest of his first three. My personal opinion of it is that while the second half is excellent, the first half is spotty. If it was me, I'd be spending my money on other releases by PT/SW rather than on de luxe editions of an album that I already own. My only concession to "special editions" is that when I buy from Burning Shed I will often buy the CD/DVD digipack rather than the basic CD issue, simply because the extra cost is minimal.

Welcome to the forum! Not sure I agree with the statement that "many of his fans consider this album the weakest of his first three" considering The Raven had virtually unanimous acclaim (any review I read), and most forum comments consider it to be his most consistent sounding as far as the tone and theme. I only bought the single disc version so hopefully someone can comment on what's contained in the 2 disc pack. A fantastic CD and one that has me pretty psyched for the new one next month.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Suspended
    The only info I can add is that there is an instrumental called "Clock Song" which is not on the basic CD but was apparently included in certain editions. Goodness knows why it wasn't on the main disc. Not that it's a terribly strong track listened to in isolation, but I think it would have worked very well on the album, perhaps as an opener, rather than Luminol, which I consider a rather abrupt way to open the album.

Regarding my earlier comment about fans considering The Raven his weakest, what I have noticed is that many people on the Unofficial Porcupine Tree Forum express this view, which does not seem to be a widely held view here on PE.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 01-27-2015 at 03:00 PM.

Ahhh...okay, I see. Perhaps they are waiting on a PT reunion over there on that forum?? Sometimes it seems the band related forums can be a bit harsh on solo material.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Ahhh...okay, I see. Perhaps they are waiting on a PT reunion over there on that forum?? Sometimes it seems the band related forums can be a bit harsh on solo material.
    They definitely are. Some obsessively so, one might say.

There is also a bit of a "not as good as his early stuff" mentality, which you often get with people who have followed an artist from the beginning. I think some of them are a bit harsh. Of his three solo albums proper, The Raven is probably the one I like least, but it's still pretty good.

I have the other solo releases. Have been getting into "Grace...". Love "Remainder..." And "Deform...". Will be delving into "Insurgentes" next.

I've been gathering the PT catalogue, as well, but there is just SO much material out there. I really like "Deadwing". That's really the only one I've REALLY explored so far. See? Lots to look forward to. :-)

I also bought "Cover Version", but have only listened 1-2x so far...

I still love "The Raven..." more than anything else I've heard. It's just a personal thing, and the way that album (and the title track) hits me. The beauty of music...

And I do have "Clock Song", think I found it via YouTube. I also have "The Birthday Party", which was on the CD which came with the "Drive Home" Blu-Ray DVD.

Like most of SW's projects, IMO, this one has little staying power. Liked it at first, then loved much of it, now don't even consider playing it.

The only SW I don't have that pattern with is Bass Communion and No-Man.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I'm not a major PT fan. I own everything from "The Sky Moves Sideways" through "In Absentia" but have no need to ever hear them again.

But Wilson's solo material is another story. "Grace for Drowning" and "The Raven" for me, hold up incredibly well to repeated listening on every level that I look for in music.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell