Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bruno from Fame: Prog keyboard god

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I used to watch the heck out of that show. I'd try it again if it ever turned up on Netflix. Pre-Footloose Lori Singer was sooooo smokin' hot when I was 12-14.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Pre-Footloose Lori Singer was sooooo smokin' hot when I was 12-14.
    That's the main thing I remember... with the cello. Between her legs.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    with the cello. Between her legs.
    I think it was (orchestra conductor) Eugene Ormandy who once said to a female cellist, "You have such a beautiful instrument there between your legs, why do you scratch it so?"

^John Wetton actually made that joke after his opening act finished playing at the Bottom Line in NYC. It was hysterical. Great show.

Them lyrics is deep! Oh the 80s... cheeeeeeezzzzze... but cool to see those old Yamaha synths. I used to have them and I WAS the guy in High School like Bruno with the synths. Later on I met and sort of befriended Lee the guy who plays Bruno. He is a nice guy.

But that song is annoyingly catchy. Like not in a good way. In a way that makes you want to go in there as The Who and start breaking things. jk Nice keyboard solo though. PROG LIVES! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Them lyrics is deep! Oh the 80s... cheeeeeeezzzzze... but cool to see those old Yamaha synths.
    The vintage Yamaha synths are the best thing about this video! He’s playing what appears to be a CS-40 on top of...something. The keyboards facing the camera look like something in the SK series (SK-20?) and some kind of electronic piano (CP-35?).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Well, I couldn't make it all the way through to the end of either video, but it equals the most I've ever watched of that show. It made Up With People look edgy and cool. I avoided Fame at any cost.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I think it was (orchestra conductor) Eugene Ormandy who once said to a female cellist, "You have such a beautiful instrument there between your legs, why do you scratch it so?"
    I've heard it was Sir Thomas Beecham, and the quote was more along the lines of "madam, you have betwen your legs an instrument capable of giving much pleasure and all you can do is scratch at it".

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I've heard it was Sir Thomas Beecham, and the quote was more along the lines of "madam, you have betwen your legs an instrument capable of giving much pleasure and all you can do is scratch at it".

During a rehearsal, conductor Sir Thomas Beecham, who died 40 years ago, thought that his female soloist was playing less than adequately on her fine Italian cello. He stopped the orchestra and declared: "Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!" Once he described the sound of the harpsichord as "two skeletons copulating on a tin roof"; on another occasion he declared that "the British may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes". His pointed goatee beard, his proud and portly stature and, most of all, that dry, acerbic wit have passed into musical mythology. No other conductor could possibly have got away with saying: "There are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and finish together. The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between."

Too cool for school, would love to have had a talk with this guy!!

The best part is the tall guy with the vest and leg warmers....in roller skates!

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    During a rehearsal, conductor Sir Thomas Beecham, who died 40 years ago, thought that his female soloist was playing less than adequately on her fine Italian cello. He stopped the orchestra and declared: "Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!" Once he described the sound of the harpsichord as "two skeletons copulating on a tin roof"; on another occasion he declared that "the British may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes". His pointed goatee beard, his proud and portly stature and, most of all, that dry, acerbic wit have passed into musical mythology. No other conductor could possibly have got away with saying: "There are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and finish together. The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between."

Too cool for school, would love to have had a talk with this guy!!
    There was a television programme, a sort of docu-drama, about him some years ago with Timothy West playing Beecham which I only saw the end of but made me wish I'd seen it all.

It's great how the whole song came together in the store. It was like mental telepathy.