Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When a cover isn't really a cover.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

Two classic examples that spring to mind are Deep Purple's Hush, which Joe South wrote for them in 68. He didn't start recording his own stuff until 68, and he didn't record Hush until 69, after DP had had a huge hit with it in summer 68.
    Not quite. According to Wikipedia, Joe South wrote the song for Billy Joe Royal, who recorded the song before Deep Purple.

Now a question, are there any Lennon/McCartney and Jagger/Richards songs that they only recorded after they had been recorded by others?
    In the case of Jagger/Richards, I believe Ride On, Baby was recorded first by some pretty boy singer (checking Wikipedia) some guy named Chris Farlowe. Not a very impressive recording, though.

I seem to recall that there were several Lennon/McCartney songs that were recorded by some of Brian Epstein's other clients.

(dammit, now I'm thinking about that gag in that one episode of The Comic Strip Presents, where a guy named Keith Epstein steals a demo tape from a recording studio he's making a delivery to. He later makes an appointment with a recording executive who asks him if he's related to Brian Epstein. Keith says, "Yes, he's my...brother", lying of course. The executive pulls out a little notebook and says, "Congratulations. You are the...34th brother of Brian Epstein I've met since taking this job")

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Seems like Springsteen wrote quite a few hits for other artists, many of which he eventually released, like Pink Cadillac (Aretha Franklin ?), Fire (Pointer Sisters) and Because the Night (Patti Smith).
    Pink Cadillac was recorded by Natalie Cole, not Aretha Franklin (though Aretha does sing the phrase 'pink Cadillac" in Freeway Of Love, which oddly enough, features a sax solo from Clarence Clemons). Bruce, I believe, originally released Pink Cadillac as a single B-side. According to Wikipedia, Bette Midler recorded a version of the song in 83, but Bruce blocked her from releasing it, because "it's not a girl's song". The Natalie Cole version came out a few years later, I believe.

Bruce allegedly wrote Fire with the intention of Elvis recording it, but that never happened. The first released version of the song was by rockabilly revivalist Robert Gordon. Then came the popular Pointer Sisters version, which apparently pissed off Bruce, possibly because their version was a bigger hit than any of Bruce's own singles up to that point. (shrug)

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Wow! V Interesting about wooden ships, i had no idea about kantners involvement in it.
    De nada!

Crosby and Stills for some reason were given the credit on CSN material, but according to sources, the main writers were Kantner and Crosby with Stills allegedly contributed one line ("Horror grips us as we watch you die"). On JA material, it is listed as Kanter, Crosby and Stills. I think more recent CSN may list Kantner now, although I could be wrong. I like both versions, to be honest.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I think more recent CSN may list Kantner now, although I could be wrong.
    Sure enough, on the CSNY 1974 set that came out last year, the song is credited to Crosby, Stills, and Kantner (in that order).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Sure enough, on the CSNY 1974 set that came out last year, the song is credited to Crosby, Stills, and Kantner (in that order).
    "We have to put Paul on, bro! He's got lawyers!"

One that comes to mind is David Crosby's song Triad, which was recorded by Jefferson Airplane in the late 60's.

The thing is, the song was actually originally recorded by The Byrds, circa The Notorious Byrd Brothers, but McGuinn and Hillman vetoed releasing it at the time. The Byrds version didn't see the light of day until the Never Before "best of the leftovers" collection that came out in the 80's.

I was not aware of Crosby writing "Triad"....although I admit-I never really looked. Considering Grace's reputation, the song fits her well

ELO's Roll Over Beethoven