Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your 10 favorite Yes tracks post-Drama

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    definitely my #1

Same here... and by a mile

as for a top 10, just take Keystudio tracks and and a couple from Magnification,, and you've got it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Bad grammar. Should be "teakbois ARE everywhere."
    Take it up with Mr. Anderson.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    honourary mention:

“birthright” < best song on ABWH.
    Yep

Unless that's a less than.

It's interesting how everyone's list is at least partially wrong

Amazed at the love for That That Is. There's some nice music in it but that US News angle to the lyrics really kills it for me. If you all like a little "crack time", more power (bring ya to it) ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Amazed at the love for That That Is. There's some nice music in it but that US News angle to the lyrics really kills it for me. If you all like a little "crack time", more power (bring ya to it) ya!
    I prefer it to Mind Drive, but neither one knocks me out. I like the other KTA material more!

Agreed. Almost like That and Mind could have been one great piece rather than two OK ones.

Agreed. Almost like That and Mind could have been one great piece rather than two OK ones.
    What works for me about TTI is that the Howe opener is perhaps one of the most beautiful solo guitar pieces that he's written, to my ears. I know there's some bass and other instrumentation, but it's really a Howe piece.

Also, the song from after the White piano bit to the end is just amazing. It's just so full of energy for me.

The lyrics for me marked a departure from Anderson's norm, and I was totally fine with that. I like Mind Drive, but TTI is where it's at.

Mike

I like the long, slowburn intro to 'That That Is'. After that it loses steam for me. Not a great track, but not a disaster either (save some infamous lyrics!).

It Can Happen
    Our Song
    I'm Running
    Almost Like Love
    Birthright
    Miracle of Life
    Take the Water to the Mountain
    Real Love
    FFH suite
    Subway Walls

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I didn't include ABWH material. But everything on that album I find enjoyable until you get to the twee 'Quartet', and then it goes downhill for me. There's also all those synth sounds and syn-drums to deal with.
    I personally like 'Quartet'-particularly the Howe acoustic guitar stuff. I find a lot of genuinely pretty, where 'The Meeting' I just find boring.

^The album for me plays better without 'Quartet' and 'Teakbois'. 'Order Of The Universe' follows on from 'The Meeting' logically...I think they are in the same key, from memory. But I wouldn't say 'The Meeting' was anything substantial, no, just a pleasant bridging sort of track.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I prefer it to Mind Drive, but neither one knocks me out. I like the other KTA material more!
    I'm with you two

Could have been one of their best cuts IMO, save some bad choices, (most of the lyrics, and the ending fails), but some great moments when Jon gets back on point with the cosmic imagery, (the "All in All" section), but even that ends sort of awkwardly.

Some great moments, but not consistent, the same with Mind Drive really

Footprints and Bring Me to the Power are for me the closest they've come to a 70's intensity

I like Seans idea of editing the two epics into one as well

Imagine it was 77 and you had all of the Keysstudio tracks to chose from to hit a 45 minute LP length - there's enough there for a very sold record IMO

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

My God, at least he was trying to expand himself lyrically. The album Talk drove me crazy with its five hundred variants of "we are this love in this earth life." I swear that whole album had a vocabulary smaller than some Dr. Seuss books.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    its five hundred variants of "we are this love in this earth life."

Shoot High Aim Low
    Hearts
    I'm Running
    Our Song
    It Can Happen
    Miracle of Life
    Can You Imagine?
    Open Your Eyes
    Telephone Secrets
    Real Love

There are only seven:

That, That Is
    Be the One
    Mind Drive
    Foot Prints
    Bring Me to the Power
    Children of the Light
    Sign Language

Changes
    It Can Happen
    Homeworld
    Mind Drive
    Owner of a Lonely Heart
    City of Love
    In The Presence Of
    Rhythm of Love
    Love Will Find A Way
    Shoot High Aim Low

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Hearts
    It Can Happen
    I'm Running
    In The Presence Of
    Face To Face
    Birthright
    Endless Dream
    Dreamtime
    Mind Drive
    Brother of Mine

If ABWH doesn't qualify then swap out Birthright and Brother of Mine and swap in Homeworld and Sad Night At The Airfield
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Our Song
    I was wondering when this one would get a vote. It's never been my favorite off 90125, but I remember back in the alt.music.yes days that there were a lot of proponents of this song, with many mentioning it among their YesWest favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    If ABWH doesn't qualify then swap out Birthright and Brother of Mine and swap in Homeworld and Sad Night At The Airfield
    Nah, it's all good. I don't consider ABWH to be officially Yes, but if ABWH tracks are among your favorite post-Drama Yes tracks, then they're fair game. Heck, you guys can vote for "Run With the Fox" if you want.

Part of why I wanted to do this poll was to see if there were any songs, like in '70s Yes, that fans largely agreed were among the band's best. There are a few cuts getting a lot of votes, but as I suspected would happen, there's a pretty large diversity of opinion. There have just been so many lineup changes, style changes, and songs and albums of varying quality that I figured a consensus would be hard to come by. I guess another way of looking at it would be, if Yes' first album was 90125 and the '70s canon never happened, what would be your favorite songs when there are no "Close to the Edge," "Heart of the Sunrise," "ISAGP," et al., to pick from.
    Last edited by Adrian; 01-31-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    I'm with you two

Could have been one of their best cuts IMO, save some bad choices, (most of the lyrics, and the ending fails), but some great moments when Jon gets back on point with the cosmic imagery, (the "All in All" section), but even that ends sort of awkwardly.

Some great moments, but not consistent, the same with Mind Drive really

Footprints and Bring Me to the Power are for me the closest they've come to a 70's intensity

I like Seans idea of editing the two epics into one as well

Imagine it was 77 and you had all of the Keysstudio tracks to chose from to hit a 45 minute LP length - there's enough there for a very sold record IMO

BG
    Yeah, the two long tracks suffer from the same problem Topographic does. Lots of enjoyable moments surrounded by moments of IMO questionable music and lyrics. "TTI" loses it for me after the intro. "Mind Drive" has a great intro and ending and some nice bits in between, but I always felt that the song didn't build very well -- it spends too much time flipping back and forth between a couple of ideas without really going anywhere.

My favorites from the Keys sessions are "Foot Prints," "Children of Light," and "Be the One."

Well, there have been no votes for about a day, so I think I'll take a tally -- I figure while everyone else is watching the Super Bowl, there's no possibility of getting any votes to throw off the totals.

Here are your top picks, with number of votes in parens:

1. Mind Drive (13)
    2. I'm Running (12)
    Homeworld (The Ladder) (12)
    In the Presence Of (12)
    5. Endless Dream (10)
    6. Fly From Here (9) [combining votes for the individual song and the entire suite]
    7. It Can Happen (8)
    Shoot High Aim Low (8)
    Hearts (8)
    10. Final Eyes (6)
    Brother of Mine (6)
    The More We Live - Let Go (6)
    That, That Is (6)
    Into the Storm (6)
    Subway Walls (6)

I'll update if necessary!

CRACK TIME!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    CRACK TIME!!!
    I'll stick to Turbo Truffles.

It's funny, I've never really listened to Yes for the lyrical content, so Anderson's use of some more modern-ish language, telling an oblique story, didn't bother me at all. In fact, as others have stated, I thought it was a good change for him, to challenge himself to write some more non-lovey lyrics.

I actually think TTI would rock hard live, much more so than the bits of Mind Drive played back in 2004...

Mike