Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apocolypse Is Coming, snow that is

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Apocolypse Is Coming, snow that is

The coastal northeast media may self-cause a fatal embolism due to hyper-excited news of an approaching winter storm, with, SNOW! NWS is predicting 16 to 26 inches a rise of 9 inches since this morning. Local news outlets are besides themselves. Local TV Weather hottie Samantha Augerie looks even better flushed with winter excitement. Hopefully this is not the End Of Days and I can play with the snow thrower , a new toy since last season.

Bunch of alarmist weather reporters up here in Boston. They're practically predicting a collapse in civilization here. "Historic" snowstorm, they're calling it. We had 5 inches of snow yesterday, and some TV shows were preempted for reports on how Boston was coping. Come on, this is the winter; this is what the winter does.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Bunch of alarmist weather reporters up here in Boston.
    We have a radio talk show host in Cincy that calls them "Climaterrorists"
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Newest reports calling for 20-30" and some areas may see over 3'. Starting Monday morning as flurries and lasting through Tuesday night. Ultra blizzard, Snowpocalypse conditions starting after midnight tomorrow. The good news is that, so far, there are no mentions of sharks mixed in with the snowfall.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

My God! Well NWS upped it again. Now its 21 to 35 inches. I drawing up my will but its futile no one will ever find it. But if we do get 35 inches with a 40 mph wind its truly a Blizzard with a capitol B. I got to go turn on Samantha, she gets hotter and hotter as the inches go up and up.

None of these meteorologist want to commit. It's all "might happen" and "could be."

One station 'round here is predicting 12"-24". Really?? THAT'S the best you can do? A twelve-inch spread?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    None of these meteorologist want to commit. It's all "might happen" and "could be."

One station 'round here is predicting 12"-24". Really?? THAT'S the best you can do? A twelve-inch spread?
    Are they reporting on one specific city or are they actually covering a pretty large area?
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I love all the emphasis on flashlights. If the power goes out during the night I'm staying in bed. If it goes out during the day I won't need flashlights. I've NEVER needed a flashlight because of a power outage.

"We're expecting Frankenstorm, so when it gets dark, get in bed. When the sun comes up, get out of bed."

You only need flashlights if you're going to be dicking around in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I love all the emphasis on flashlights. If the power goes out during the night I'm staying in bed. If it goes out during the day I won't need flashlights. I've NEVER needed a flashlight because of a power outage.

"We're expecting Frankenstorm, so when it gets dark, get in bed. When the sun comes up, get out of bed."

So....you go to bed at 6 o'clock?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All orangutans do. 😉
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Doesn't that depend on how deep the snow gets?
    <sig out of order>

Haven't had much to snowplow this year here in Rockland, NY, but this should make up for it if all the info is true. Got the Go Pro mounted on the dash of the truck. Haven't made any playlists for the iPod juke yet, but will work on that tomorrow. REALLY hoping it is crazy cold so at least the snow will be powdery and light.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I'm ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

I'm ready.

Why does that have a wheel and not a ski? Hope it's studded.
    <sig out of order>

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Why does that have a wheel and not a ski?
    Because it's a Wovel, not a Skovel.
    Hope it's studded.
    The only thing that needs traction is my boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Ok we now have a new scientific term for the how this snowasaurus is created. BOMBOGENESIS
    Sounds like something Phil Collins would eventually ruin.

We got about a half foot here in Western PA. Maybe total of about 8" by the end of today.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

35 and mostly sunny here in Madison when you right coasters see the Four Horsemen and suddenly 666 by Aphrodite's Child becomes a migraine earworm.

We've skated so far (worst single snowfall so far has been 5" & that only once).

We're the ones that usually get crippled by winter (Minnesota & the Dakotas even worse than Cheeseville). I remember vividly what it's like in NYC when it's crippled. It's never really totally crippled however, since many who live in Manhattan can slop through the snow on foot to get needed provisions, etc. If there's also 30mph winds though, stay home.
    Last edited by progeezer; 01-26-2015 at 03:50 AM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For one night it wouldn't be the end of the world. I guess if it went on longer it would be a pain, but we've never lost power longer than that.

My local Key Food supermarket will probably be a zoo today. It usually is when the threat of even a moderate snowstorm is forecast, for this storm.....fuhgeddiboutit.I better wear Kevlar when i do my prestorm shopping there this a.m.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Banned
    Ok we now have a new scientific term for the how this snowasaurus is created. BOMBOGENESIS

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ing-snow-on-us

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ing-snow-on-us
    John Bolaris.

He has more of a reputation as a "ladies man" "playboy" than he does as a meteorologist!

BOMBOGENESIS
    I heard that last night on a local channel. Breaking news! Boston hunkers down and braces as bombogenesis bears down.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The weather reporting hyperbole is off the charts these days. Every time there's a storm, it's an enormous headline with words like "historic", "life-threatening" and "catastrophic". And let's not forget their favourite term, which they use in every single report, and makes me cringe: "hunker down". They just love to use that one.

It's a winter storm. It's going to be a lot of snow, and cold winds. I grew up in Toronto winters - I look outside to see whether I need boots and a scarf or not, and that's pretty much it. For god's sake, tone down these ridiculous headlines....
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    . I grew up in Toronto winters

This OFFICIALLY discredits you from making any statements about winter hardships

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

NWS is backing off on accumulation predictions, this morning its down to 15-28 vs last nights 21-35.