Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apocolypse Is Coming, snow that is

You couldn't pay me to live in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You could pay me to live in the desert when it's below 20 degrees here. I'd be fine with that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Well, the polar sharknado is arriving here in the NYC area, with an impressive but short snow squall and the temperatures are going to begin dropping soon. Its still a respectable 27 deg but going down to 2 deg tonight.

Since they announced today that for the first time in history, Madison has lower temps than Antarctica, I don't think this is just like other winters here at all, and I've been here since 1971.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    You could pay me to live in the desert when it's below 20 degrees here. I'd be fine with that.
    Some deserts get just as cold at night.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not me. I'd ride it out. Check the web for videos about the sandstorms they have in the American desert and then tell me the few super cold days are worse.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I have a friend who moved from WI to LA back in the 70s and every time Madison would have a deep freeze would call me and say stuff like, "Man, it was hard today. I had to take off my long pants & put on shorts. How is it there?"

And I would call him an insensitive asshole and be done with it.
    I have a buddy who moved from Michigan to Florida who does that to me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have a buddy who moved from Michigan to Florida who does that to me all the time.
    In fact.....tonight I posted a picture on Facebook of my car thermometer reading -15 on the way home from work. My Florida buddy was the first one to post about how much he enjoys Michigan winters....now that he lives in Florida.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    More snow in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada) this month then ever in the past. This set a record.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-31-2019 at 05:15 PM.

So, my wife, who is an insomniac, had to take the dog out at 4:00 am when it was -4 outside. This was the one time the pooch decided to chase the deer in the yard. She was not happy. Although, it did give her another opportunity to feel sorry for herself on FaceBook. So, there's that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Someone felt sorry for themselves on Facebook? Wow, never would have expected that

My dog took her quickest piss of the season this morning

THE SQUALL!!!...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Someone felt sorry for themselves on Facebook? Wow, never would have expected that

My dog took her quickest piss of the season this morning

THE SQUALL!!!...
    My wife got my son off the school bus and into the house like 1 minute before the squall started - perfect timing! We felt really sorry for the kids getting off at the next several stops, and their parents and the bus driver. And anyone else on the road or walking about.

...it lasted what, 15 minutes?

...it lasted what, 15 minutes?
    Maybe even less, but still somehow very disruptive.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You couldn't pay me to live anywhere other than the desert. I lived here most of my life, including in June of 1990 when we hit our all time record of 122. The most miserable summer I ever spent was actually in Memphis TN, while attending Navy Technical School. I found the humidity far more oppressive than 122 dry degrees. Here, it'll be 115 for a couple of weeks in late June/early July, but that ushers in the monsoon which somewhat moderates temperatures. Memphis remained oppressive thruought the entire summer.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I can't stand the humidity around here.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I love winter, fuck summer.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I love winter, fuck summer.
    Right there with ya! The summers here can be absolutely oppressive with the sweltering humidity. I'm talking sweating just from sitting still - I hate it. Fall is the best season IMO, but I'll take winter second.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

...and just like that, here in NY it's goin' back up to the 50's for the next few days

...and just like that, here in NY it's goin' back up to the 50's for the next few days
    I guess that means global warming is back. I wish it would make up its mind.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

We are in a warm spot right now, going to get up into the twenties. By tonight single digits, by tomorrow night we get a massive storm, and then another week of staying below ten to thirty degrees below zero. Good times.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We are in a warm spot right now, going to get up into the twenties. By tonight single digits, by tomorrow night we get a massive storm, and then another week of staying below ten to thirty degrees below zero. Good times.
    When my brother was serving in the Air Force and was transferring duty stations, the only two spots available for someone of his rank were Wichita KS, and North Dakota. He chose the former, for the reasons you would imagine. Particularly after growing up in the Phoenix area.
    Last edited by progmatist; 02-02-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Ok....the Seattle area got 2" of snow last night.....it didn't stick to the pavement at my house but they're already talking school closures and traffic snarls.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

We'll be looking at 60 degrees just north of Pittsburgh today.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Ok....the Seattle area got 2" of snow last night.....it didn't stick to the pavement at my house but they're already talking school closures and traffic snarls.....
    If it rains here, that dominates most if not all of local newscasts. Since it doen's rain here that often, motor oil will build up on the streets and freeways. When it does rain, that oil floats on top of the water making the roads quite slick. As it is, people here don't know how to drive in the rain. Add the oil on top of that, well, you get the picture.