Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apocolypse Is Coming, snow that is

Here in western Nassau County on Long Island we got less than a foot. It's hard to judge since there is a lot of wind and drifts, but it is definitely not as huge a snowfall as predicted. Farther out on the east end is getting more.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    It's nice that they (at least) gave you time to get home with some relative safety. Our big storm last year (12") was awful - they released the university employees at 11:00am: in time for me to get the kids from school . . . but the hospital released their staff at 1:30pm, much too late - and the roadways were littered with wrecked and abandoned cars. It took my wife 5 hours to get home on the (last) city bus running for 2 days there after. She was not happy.

Stay safe and don't over exert.

Spray the name of your favorite prog band in the snow (with your urine) and capture it in an image, then share here for all to celebrate.
    What if it's And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The mail had better be delivered today. My Neal Morse CD is probably in the hands of our Gooberville post office.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's really coming down in Boston.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

20" in central Suffolk County Long Island. Still snowing lightly at noon. My street was last plowed at 3am in the morning and is pretty much impassable. Im really glad I invested in a snow thrower last year, saved my back.
    Closing all roads by Cuomo was over reaching. Its their job to keep the roads passable not close them. I can see tempory bans on the highways , but threatening punitive action for going out to get emergency supplies on secondary roads? They should dpo their jobs and not micro-manage our lives.

kill your TV
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

We were all being encouraged by our employer/bosses to take the day off today. I slept in only to wake up and find just a light snow beginning. So I came to work. Not sure why I changed from my standard habit of getting up at the normal time, looking outside, and coming to work despite whatever conditions might exist at that point.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Closing all roads by Cuomo was over reaching. Its their job to keep the roads passable not close them.
    Sometimes, they're hard to make passable with abandoned and broken-down cars in the way. If the would have under-prepared, people would be complaining, too.

but threatening punitive action for going out to get emergency supplies on secondary roads?
    But, that is a bit too much.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Sounds like NYC and NJ dodged the bullet but further up the coast they're getting hammered by snow and the storm surge.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Much ado about nothing here. After getting predictions of six to up to 18 inches, we got about a dusting to 3 inches, depending on how the wind was blowing.

Considering my impending lay-off, I took the day off, anyway.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They just closed our place from 6pm tonight through tomorrow. Will be working from the sofa in my pj's.
    Ain't life grand?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Considering my impending lay-off, I took the day off, anyway.
    Lazy, I tell ya!

our longtime local tv forecaster retired about a year ago. the guy they hired and his assembled team haven't got one right yet. they're the most inaccurate bunch of idiots I've ever seen. with my job being weather related, it's a fuckin' guessing game with this new breed and all their fancy terminology.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    our longtime local tv forecaster retired about a year ago. the guy they hired and his assembled team haven't got one right yet. they're the most inaccurate bunch of idiots I've ever seen. with my job being weather related, it's a fuckin' guessing game with this new breed and all their fancy terminology.
    It's always been that way. Six-figure salary. No accountability, low expectations. Hell, you don't even have to look good.

Best job in the world.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm not sure why people need to be spoon fed information so ravenously, constantly and (so often) inaccurately, and "awfulize" every potential situation that comes down the pike.

It's really funny stuff - - -

Banned
    It's all about getting it up and keeping it up😜

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    I'm not sure why people need to be spoon fed information so ravenously, constantly and (so often) inaccurately, and "awfulize" every potential situation that comes down the pike.

It's really funny stuff - - -
    Yep. Seems many were buried in more of the nonsense than actual snow.

I live on the coast North of Boston. It's almost 11PM & it's still coming down pretty hard. I've shoveled my driveway & sidewalk 4 times already & there's at least another 6-10 inches there now. But I'm lucky: never lost electricity.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Poor Wolf Blitzer, between the snowstorm and the drone that landed on the White House lawn I am sure he had an erection lasting more than four hours.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I live on the coast North of Boston. It's almost 11PM & it's still coming down pretty hard. I've shoveled my driveway & sidewalk 4 times already & there's at least another 6-10 inches there now. But I'm lucky: never lost electricity.
    Just South of Boston here. It's hard to say with all the drifting, but the reported totals on the news sites for the towns around me range from 20 to 34 inches. I spent 4 hours clearing snow so far. The good news is the wind was blowing so hard there's nothing much on the roof, so I shouldn't have to worry about ice dams when it warms up.

Banned
    WICKED STORM

For fairly accurate weather without the hype use Nation Wweather Service 7 day forcast web page http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...0#.VMjaymctCM9
    The link is my local weather but the site has a search feature, either the zip code or town and state. Really helpful feature is the hourly graph ,during weather events, that covers hourly predictions of everything from precip, wind constant and gusts, wind direction, if applicable flood maps. Saved my ass during Sandy, more accurate and sooner than TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Poor Wolf Blitzer, between the snowstorm and the drone that landed on the White House lawn I am sure he had an erection lasting more than four hours.
    Throw in a missing plane and his head will probably explode.

Cable Nonsense Network

For fairly accurate weather without the hype use Nation Wweather Service 7 day forcast web page http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...0#.VMjaymctCM9
    The link is my local weather but the site has a search feature, either the zip code or town and state. Really helpful feature is the hourly graph ,during weather events, that covers hourly predictions of everything from precip, wind constant and gusts, wind direction, if applicable flood maps. Saved my ass during Sandy, more accurate and sooner than TV.
    Yes. NOAA is very good and one I go to all the time. No bullshit...just facts which is what I need when it comes to plowing snow.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    . I grew up in Toronto winters

This OFFICIALLY discredits you from making any statements about winter hardships

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-