Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apocolypse Is Coming, snow that is

Quote Originally Posted by KIPMEISTER View Post
    Does anyone remember the blizzard of Jan. 96 when the NYC area got approx. 36"!!! The weather people suck the big one!
    I worked that one from 9am the first day to 9am the next day. Our 45,000 # firetruck was having problems getting around. IIRC it was 28 inches but with high winds. We were out all night, pretty intense.

Here in Western PA, we seem to miss the big storms most of the time. Years ago, when I lived in Eastern PA (okay, decades), the weather patterns where much different, primarily coming from the west. Now, the big storms seem to roll up the coast more often and we don't get slammed like those east of us.

Last monster storm we had here was in March of 1993, when we got about 23" and heavy winds. I have five feet of snow to shovel from my sunken driveway, and the winds were so strong that snow blew through the slight gap at the top of my garage door and accumulated about an inch in the garage.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Just got the word that the office is closed at 3:00pm today and all day tomorrow. Don't know if I should be elated or frightened.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Just got the word that the office is closed at 3:00pm today and all day tomorrow. Don't know if I should be elated or frightened.
    Be elated. The snow will melt, eventually.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Be elated. The snow will melt, eventually.
    What he said. I'd love to be called off for tomorrow.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

No mail delivery tomorrow.Thus sayeth the letter carrier today.(NYC-Queens)
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

If not elated, Louis, I would certainly be at least grateful that the hierarchy at your new job has common sense, and actually values the safety of their people.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Samantha ... gets hotter and hotter as the inches go up and up.
    Wait, isn't it the other way around?

I hope everyone up there stays safe. I wouldn't mind seeing a few inches of snow here in my part of NC, but I don't envy you all having to deal with 2 feet or more. Best of luck!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    If not elated, Louis, I would certainly be at least grateful that the hierarchy at your new job has common sense, and actually values the safety of their people.
    That, plus the fact that the government has put in a travel ban starting at midnight.
    It's a little bit like back when my boss at my part-time job during high school told me he was giving me a raise. The minimum wage went up.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They just closed our place from 6pm tonight through tomorrow. Will be working from the sofa in my pj's.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ok, it can stop now. Everything is nicely covered, looking very pretty. It is coming down quite steadily. With the forecast predicting the heavy stuff still seven hours away, me thinks this'll be a doozy. Outside now with my new camera, photos over the next few days are a coming to a photography thread near you. Legs will be getting quite the workout tomorrow.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The weather reporting hyperbole is off the charts these days. Every time there's a storm, it's an enormous headline with words like "historic", "life-threatening" and "catastrophic". And let's not forget their favourite term, which they use in every single report, and makes me cringe: "hunker down". They just love to use that one.

It's a winter storm. It's going to be a lot of snow, and cold winds. I grew up in Toronto winters - I look outside to see whether I need boots and a scarf or not, and that's pretty much it. For god's sake, tone down these ridiculous headlines....
    It really does depend where you live. When I lived in NYC I ignored all this. I was always able to walk to a store, even in the biggest storm. Also, I went to Syracuse U, where we got a ton of snow, and I never watched weather reports. Where I live now, one downed branch can take down power for the whole street, so it's a different story. There are salt spreaders coming by regularly, but you never know if a tree or branch is going to come down.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Or, their corporate attorney advised them to avoid liability.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KIPMEISTER View Post
    Does anyone remember the blizzard of Jan. 96 when the NYC area got approx. 36"!!! The weather people suck the big one!
    Are you kidding, I went to Hawaii during the Christmas break and came back to 40 inches in Baltimore suburbs. Initially I was stuck in St Louis were the cold air was being sucked down by the big storm to the East. 96 was a f**ked up year in the East. 1st week after July 4th, hurricane Bertha struck the coast on NC head on, close to my vacation trailer which was destroyed by a super tall pine tree which came down splitting it in two. 1 week after Labor day, Fran struck NC within 10 miles of where Bertha struck.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Lazy ass bastards!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds--well, OK, snow, but not the other stuff, subject to change without prior notification.

Just received the Emergency Service Extreme alert on my phone-
    "All non-emergency vehicle must be off all NYC roads by 11pm until further notice."
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Seems like we're done and I have 6-8 inches in different parts of my yard. I'm glad I'm not in the middle of it. But, I have to admit, I kinda like the idea of being in the city and strolling through it ...

... for a minute.

3ft my ass. We got maybe 4 inches, and very little wind. All the friggin supplies I bought...

...sucker!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Looks like around 8 inches here in Oakland Gardens(eastern Queens county).Streets are being plowed regularly.Hardly the Snowpocolypse some had feared.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Right now there's only a few inches at most in Rockland, NY. Doesn't look like there will be much more than this. Was all prepped and ready to go out and plow at 4AM, but may as well wait until storm fizzles out.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    3ft my ass. We got maybe 4 inches, and very little wind. All the friggin supplies I bought...
    Well, it's not like winter is over after this. Nothing wrong with being stocked up. We do it all the time up here on the frozen tundra. Saves you from dealing with panicking idjits at the grocery and hardware stores.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Boston still to get 20 inches total, or a foot more. Portland Me to get over 2 feet total.

It's nice that they (at least) gave you time to get home with some relative safety. Our big storm last year (12") was awful - they released the university employees at 11:00am: in time for me to get the kids from school . . . but the hospital released their staff at 1:30pm, much too late - and the roadways were littered with wrecked and abandoned cars. It took my wife 5 hours to get home on the (last) city bus running for 2 days there after. She was not happy.

Stay safe and don't over exert.

Spray the name of your favorite prog band in the snow (with your urine) and capture it in an image, then share here for all to celebrate.