Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Apocolypse Is Coming, snow that is

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Damn, Jerol. I don't know how you live there.
    Summers are damn near perfect. There's a few rednecks that have transplanted up here and they say they'd rather take a severe winter than a summer in Texas or the Deep South. But I guess you get used to what you grew up with. I have been in AZ and NV in the middle of the summer and I don't know how those people live in that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

March has "Come In Like A Lamb" this year in the Pacific Northwest. Sunny and dry forcast through the end of next week...lows in the upper 20's and highs approaching 50.
    February broke records this year for snowfall.....20" at SeaTac Airport. Now its sunny and 50. It's not usually this nice this early in the year.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Might get more snow tomorrow apparently, and temps in the early-mid part of next week are forecast to feel like between -15 and -20. Chilly for March, but I don't really mind. I'm just hoping for a proper spring when the time comes, and not one of those "Well, that was a nice ten days, now it's time for six months of heat and humidity"-type early summer transitions.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

And here in northern Ohio, where most of the nation thinks we get buried in snow every Winter, the snow thrower that I bought 4 years ago on Black Friday remains unused.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 03-02-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: :oops

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Summers are damn near perfect.
    I knew a woman who grew up in Phoenix, but lived in ND for while. When it got hot there, she had a window air conditioner in her kitchen/dining area, and would spend most of her time there. ND natives thought she was nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There's a few rednecks that have transplanted up here and they say they'd rather take a severe winter than a summer in Texas or the Deep South. But I guess you get used to what you grew up with. I have been in AZ and NV in the middle of the summer and I don't know how those people live in that.
    It's been said that one's blood will thin after living in the desert for some time. That's probably true because when it's a "bone chilling" 55 here, natives will walk around bundled up, while those from out of state will walk around in shorts, and drive with their convertible tops down.

As I mentioned in previously, I find the humidity of the Deep South far more oppressive than a dry 122 in Arizona. Texas is particularly brutal because they routinely have temps in the low 100s, saturated with humidity.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And here in northern Ohio, where most of the nation thinks we get buried in snow every Winter, the show thrower that I bought 4 years ago on Black Friday remains unused.
    That may depend on whether you're downwind from Lake Erie. If not, you'd escape the lake effect machine. Syracuse NY, which is very much downwind from Lake Erie, is one of the snowiest places in the US.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

It was 95 degrees down here a couple hours ago. No humidity, just sun.

I do have a central air system that we will turn on now and then in the summer. But the heat we have is usually dry and we get more temps in the 80s than the 90s. Humidity is pretty rare. Then again, due to um, well, something starting with "C" changing, we've been stuck in a drought cycle which is hell on my lawn.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm waiting for my AC unit to take a shit. It works but it's about 13 years old. The compressor and air handler are gettin' old and worn out.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Power went out about 10 minutes after I woke up this morning - not a good way to start the day! It's back now - I think a Con Ed plany blew its top. The whole town seemed to lost power at the same time. Con Ed has some major problems here.

It's been snowing here all afternoon but too warm to do much laying.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm waiting for my AC unit to take a shit. It works but it's about 13 years old. The compressor and air handler are gettin' old and worn out.
    Mine is 20 years old one still works fine (last summer). Won't need it in March in Ottawa though.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    School opening delayed two hours for tomorrow, a snow day seems quite possible. Hard to tell right now...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    . Con Ed has some major problems here.
    We're on Central Hudson power; I think they have gerbils in exercise wheels powering the area. New York has the worst infrastructure and utilities of any place I've lived.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    We're on Central Hudson power; I think they have gerbils in exercise wheels powering the area. New York has the worst infrastructure and utilities of any place I've lived.
    Yes. I have a friend who works for our power grid out here in the PNW. His crew was sent East for Sandy recovery a few years ago....they met, with their vehicles at the local Air Force Base and the whole shebang drove onto a transport plane and headed for NY. The stories he told......Transformers "sitting" on wooden crates in their service boxes....leaking oil...loose connectors / disconnect switches......he was surprised there weren't more fires / outages at ConEd. They were told to "just get the power restored" don't spend time on the other stuff.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

I talked to my Bro in Iowa last night. He said,
    " We're 30 days in the hole. Not one second above freezing for last 30 days. And half that below zero. No reprieve till next weekend."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    We got 10" in Boston, only just stopped, roads pretty bad, the office is pretty empty today.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I talked to my Bro in Iowa last night. He said,
    " We're 30 days in the hole. Not one second above freezing for last 30 days. And half that below zero. No reprieve till next weekend."
    I can vouch for this. One of the unavoidable necessities of my job is a quarter-mile walk between two different buildings many days before the sun comes up. I've done that trek in sub-zero temps more in the last month than I did in the previous 8 winters combined.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I feel like local forecasters have been praying for a big one all winter, as they keep calling for nasty storms. This one was another dud for us - though I'm certainly not complaining.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I feel like local forecasters have been praying for a big one all winter, as they keep calling for nasty storms. This one was another dud for us - though I'm certainly not complaining.
    Was it ever really forecasted to be that bad in the philly area? The most I saw for the southern jersey lattitudes was capped at about3-4 inches, with a rain/mix mixing in (or just becoming all rain depending).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Was it ever really forecasted to be that bad in the philly area? The most I saw for the southern jersey lattitudes was capped at about3-4 inches, with a rain/mix mixing in (or just becoming all rain depending).
    We had dueling forecasts. On the very same page on weather.com, the local listing was calling for around an inch, while the Weather Advisory notice was calling for 3-6. Then that one dropped to 1-3. We ended up with about four.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    We had dueling forecasts. On the very same page on weather.com, the local listing was calling for around an inch, while the Weather Advisory notice was calling for 3-6. Then that one dropped to 1-3. We ended up with about four.
    Ah. Well, that's weather.com for you.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

It was 54 F this morning. WTF. That's downright cold for me. Tomorrow it's supposed to dip into the 40s.

Snowing like Hell right now......It was 50 and sunny these past 4 days.....WTF? (Seattle area)

It was 95 F down here a few days ago. We're going to hell in a handbasket...