Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apocolypse Is Coming, snow that is

Got about four inches of snow Sunday night and it drifted all over the place by Monday morning. Our school didn't even run the buses late, which kinda sucked because the plows didn't get out until the afternoon. I worked the driveway after work and my heart was a hammerin' by the time I got done. Today, it's a balmy -12 with a windchill of -32. Weather critter said last night we're going to be in this trend for another two weeks at least. Fuuuuuuuuck!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Snow in Hawaii.

If I'm not mistaken, they get that snow year round.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, they get that snow year round.
    The saw this is the lowest elevation they've ever had snow in Hawaii.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The "unprepared" and "clueless" have now ventured out and the sidestreets are Full of spunout vehicles....with folks in tee shirts / stretch pants and UGG's scraping shush from around their tires. It was an obstacle course at my Ma's Retirement Community when I picked her up for dialysis. You would think The Old Coots would know better at their advanced age....but then again....I am not privy to their inventory of Depends.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

2 days ago, Flagstaff AZ set an all time daily snowfall record. Extreme weather much? On the plus side, the reservoirs which supply the Phoenix area with its water will receive a much needed replenishment this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    2 days ago, Flagstaff AZ set an all time daily snowfall record. Extreme weather much? On the plus side, the reservoirs which supply the Phoenix area with its water will receive a much needed replenishment this spring.
    Pretty amazing snowfall.
    With luck it won't all melt in a equally amazing short time.
    The flooding could be nasty.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Calling for possible 60 MPH winds with snow tomorrow afternoon here in Michigan. Crazy winter it has been.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Pretty amazing snowfall.
    With luck it won't all melt in a equally amazing short time.
    The flooding could be nasty.
    Flooding isn't nearly the problem it used to be. In the late 70s, the remnants of a hurricane blew through. They had to release massive amounts of water from Roosevelt dam, wahing out all but one bridge from the East Valley to Phoenix proper. A traffic nightmare to be sure. Since then, they built Canyon and Apache dams downstream from Roosevelt dam. These 2 new dams do a damn good job catching sudden runoff.

Will this snowfall help Lake Mead? I remember seeing it was at a historic low.

Tomorrow it will be minus 27 when I go to work with a windchill of minus 45. Sitting in that cheap leather car seat is going to be like squatting on a block of ice. My sphincter puckers and balls recede at the thought of it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here, the weather is almost springlike. A year ago I had to fill the waterbucket for the chickens twice a day with hot water, because all water was frozen.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    We have an apocalypse of wind right now - crazy gusts up to 60MPH since last night, lasting into late tonight. Apparently many people have lost power, internet, etc. because of downed trees and branches, but we've been lucky. But yeah, it seems to come hand in hand with the warmer weather, so not a bad thing. A few nights ago we toasted marshmallows out back at the fire pit.

More than 50,000 in our area lost power. We had a few flickers. I did lose a few shingles, though. Of course, it's on the steepest part of my roof, not where I can easily fix it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    A ton of rain yesterday. This is on top of a ton of stone. My driveway is a skating rink.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    We have an apocalypse of wind right now - crazy gusts up to 60MPH since last night, lasting into late tonight. Apparently many people have lost power, internet, etc. because of downed trees and branches, but we've been lucky. But yeah, it seems to come hand in hand with the warmer weather, so not a bad thing. A few nights ago we toasted marshmallows out back at the fire pit.
    Yep. We're experiencing high winds here, too. Power outages and all that, though my office is so far unscathed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Same here...winda are whippin' at a good 20-40mph with some gusts around 60mph. My garbage can and recycle bins have slammed across every section of my deck Still have power though.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Will this snowfall help Lake Mead? I remember seeing it was at a historic low.
    Lake Mead is fed by the Colorado River, via the Rockies, mainly in Colorado. It takes many years for Lakes Powell and Mead to fill, so I wouldn't expect too much relief from one year's snowfall.

Lots of power losses here too, but we got lucky and did not loose ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Same here...winda are whippin' at a good 20-40mph with some gusts around 60mph. My garbage can and recycle bins have slammed across every section of my deck Still have power though.
    Probably gonna have to go up top and replace some shingles.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Been snowing all day here. Schools cancelled, etc. - it's one of those days where it's eerily quiet outside because almost nobody is out there to make noise.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Been snowing all day here. Schools cancelled, etc. - it's one of those days where it's eerily quiet outside because almost nobody is out there to make noise.
    We missed the snow from the Toronto area but it's bone chilling cold.

It started snowing about 1:30 AM and everything is white at 2 AM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Two days in a row above ten degrees...to be followed by a deep descent back in the meat locker. Wind chills of minus forty five predicted for the weekend. Looks like a weekend of dark beer, dark music, and streaming Mrs. Maisel.

Finally a break in Ottawa. Sunny and near 32 F today, Saturday, and Sunday. Back to the cold after that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Two days in a row above ten degrees...to be followed by a deep descent back in the meat locker. Wind chills of minus forty five predicted for the weekend. Looks like a weekend of dark beer, dark music, and streaming Mrs. Maisel.
    Damn, Jerol. I don't know how you live there.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally