Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apocolypse Is Coming, snow that is

^ The sandstorms don't mix in enough grit to hold traction?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Right there with ya! The summers here can be absolutely oppressive with the sweltering humidity. I'm talking sweating just from sitting still - I hate it. Fall is the best season IMO, but I'll take winter second.
    Wow, I wouldn't have guessed summers were like that there! Is that from climate change or has it always been that way?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, I wouldn't have guessed summers were like that there! Is that from climate change or has it always been that way?
    We actually still have Igloos in Ottawa in July.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The summers have been very humid for about as long as I can remember. You do realize we are not that far apart geographically, right? I'm further south than some entire states.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The summers have been very humid for about as long as I can remember. You do realize we are not that far apart geographically, right? I'm further south than some entire states.
    I guess I didn't realize - I definitely experienced some hot and humid summers in Syracuse, so I see what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Ok....the Seattle area got 2" of snow last night.....it didn't stick to the pavement at my house but they're already talking school closures and traffic snarls.....
    I got 6" of snow in Bothell (about 20 minutes outside of Seattle). Worked from home today, the roads were sheets of ice.

Just got back from an evening walk. I was down to my T-shirt during the home stretch.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Actual temp this evening is minus fifteen. Double that is the windchill. Plus we got 11 inches of powder on Sunday. We won't get above zero until next Monday. Not exactly untypical for winter up here on the frozen steppes.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Jerol, you get my vote for hardiest PE member.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Jerol, you get my vote for hardiest PE member.
    I defer to my brave stalwarts from Canuckistan. I know there's a guy from Saskatoon here. They get it even worse than us.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Jerrol, does the USPS, etc. continue to function when it's 15 below? My guess is that it does, as I did always hear that ND was just plain cold in the winter. But I agree with others that it sounds pretty brutal.

I was just out blowing snow (-5 actual/-21wc) and a FedEx truck drove by. It has to be Arctic temps before they'll stop. But a good winter storm with heavy snow or no visibility will shut them down.

Who was the member from Saskatoon SK? I can't seem to remember now.

In Madison, schools, USPS, UPS and Fed Ex were shut down for 3 days last week, and my medical clinic shut down for 2 days for the first time in history.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

^ The sandstorms don't mix in enough grit to hold traction?
    One would think, but no. Besides, it's only at the start of the summer monsoon we get the haboobs. After the first few rains, the open desert outside the city will pack more into clay than loose dirt.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Besides, it's only at the start of the summer monsoon we get the haboobs.
    I like the sound of that. Too bad we're talking about a sandstorm.

I like the sound of that. Too bad we're talking about a sandstorm.
    "Haboob" is the Arabic name for a sandstorm. Unlike the Arabian and Sahara deserts, we don't have sand here. We have clay, from which indigenous peoples made pottery and dwellings for centuries, if not millennia.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

After the Ottawa cold, the last few days have been mild (about 32 F) so there has been a ton of rain and freezing rain and my driveway looks like a skating rink!

(Seattle area) Local news is predicting 2" - 4" of Snow Friday morning. Went out Thursday afternoon and stopped at Costco......I should have taken a video.....Carts and Carts of TOILET PAPER and bottled water in the parking lots! It was hilarious. Also, the gas pumps were so congested that traffic was backed up out the parking lot and down the streets! When I left the city Police were showing up presumably to take control of the situation as intersections were plugging up. Down the street another Gas station was plugged up and traffic backing up in the street.....they were in line for the CAR Wash????? WTF? washing your car BEFORE a snow storm??? It was a clear sunny day and NO snow or ice on the roads.....Thursday afternoon looked like a Saturday morning in the Retail area of town....oh, why did I Venture out?.......I ran out of limes......I will not go into the weekend without Limes at the wet bar......YMMV, IMHO FFS.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

People are blithering idiots when snow is in the forecast. You'd think it was the Apocalypse.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

A big storm has closed everything in SE North Dakota/NE South Dakota/west edge of Minnesota. If this link works, here's I-94 about a half hour west of Fargo ND

https://www.facebook.com/CasseltonNo...type=3&theater

I got up this morning and actual temp was minus 36. Don't ask what the windchill was. Next week we will finally get above zero...on Friday.

Facebook users might not be able to see that. If you right-click on the photo and open it in a new tab/window, you can copy the image address:

Thanks, Ron. Kinda makes your sphincter pucker just looking at it, doesn't it?

This has been the Winter from hell in Ottawa. Constant snow, winds and bone chilling weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Thanks, Ron. Kinda makes your sphincter pucker just looking at it, doesn't it?
    Photo or it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    People are blithering idiots when snow is in the forecast.
    The problem is there's always snow in the forecast somewhere.
    <sig out of order>