Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apocolypse Is Coming, snow that is

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Holy hell it's cold this morning, for here just outside NYC anyway. 7 deg. Fahrenheit right now

It was 47 degrees down here this morning. For us that's really cold.

20 degrees here in AL this morning, which is pretty cold for us as well.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    20 degrees here in AL this morning, which is pretty cold for us as well.
    Around zero north of Pittsburgh this morning. Wind chill right now is about 10 below zero.

We were supposed to get slammed this weekend and got mostly rain on Saturday. They were calling for up to 16 inches of snow. We got about four, which was good, because we had a show to go to on Sunday. Still cold as fuck.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

-16 C (3 F), feels like -22 C (-8 F) right now. Snowed all day Saturday and lots accumulated. Clear and sunny now. It looks like it is supposed to out there, to be honest.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Shockingly, I actually got to watch the lunar eclipse last night. It was uncharacteristically somewhat clear. But, alas, by the time it turned red, the clouds were rolling in.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

We have gotten light snow all weekend along with temperatures just below zero (wind chill more like minus twenty). We got lucky, not much wind. With powder snow a wind could have turned this into a nightmare. As is, it just means I have to use the snow blower on a day off. So I get some cardio working in the cold.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Around zero north of Pittsburgh this morning. Wind chill right now is about 10 below zero.

We were supposed to get slammed this weekend and got mostly rain on Saturday. They were calling for up to 16 inches of snow. We got about four, which was good, because we had a show to go to on Sunday. Still cold as fuck.
    Yeah, I'd glad we didn't get the snow, I'll take the cold over that.

My wife came up with a factoid tonight at dinner.
    Millennials have never experienced temperatures as low as those in the next 24 hours in the mid-west of the US.
    They will all get participation awards.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    My wife came up with a factoid tonight at dinner.
    Millennials have never experienced temperatures as low as those in the next 24 hours in the mid-west of the US.
    They will all get participation awards.

I can't believe the complaining I've seen on social media about the cold and snow the last couple of days. It's January. Schools around here were canceled today - it was sunny and clear, and the roads had been paved. I told my wife that when I think about walking to school in the winter when I was a kid, it looked exactly as it did today.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Right now as I type, Madison, WI is 20 degrees colder than most of Mars without wind chill. Mars is -7 and Madison will hit -27 tonight (-35-40 with wind chill). Our snow is mostly done other than flurries (12" on the ground), but dangerous temps won't abate until mid-day Thursday and most schools as well as my credit union have already announced they will be closed until Friday morning.

MANDATORY Netflix & chill....a new concept.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

I can't believe the complaining I've seen on social media about the cold and snow the last couple of days. It's January. Schools around here were canceled today - it was sunny and clear, and the roads had been paved. I told my wife that when I think about walking to school in the winter when I was a kid, it looked exactly as it did today.
    I have had about 75% of my crew call in last night and tonight and am expecting it again tomorrow. Yes it is cold and yes we are getting lake effect snow, but this is still nothing compared to some of the blizzards I experienced when I was younger (68 & 78 were the worst). I was out and about all day today and had no problems, but everyone seems to be scared shitless these days. Other than the extreme cold it just seems like a normal winter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have had about 75% of my crew call in last night and tonight and am expecting it again tomorrow. Yes it is cold and yes we are getting lake effect snow, but this is still nothing compared to some of the blizzards I experienced when I was younger (68 & 78 were the worst). I was out and about all day today and had no problems, but everyone seems to be scared shitless these days. Other than the extreme cold it just seems like a normal winter to me.
    Same here. In fact, the drab mild spell leading up to this for the last few weeks was abnormal to me. Good for driving, of course, but cold and snow is what winter IS for me. It's what I've known all my life, and likewise with my peers, so I can't understand where the whining I've been seeing is coming from.

We get the lake effect snow too, there were several mini-blizzards today that lasted about a half hour each. As for the extreme cold, yes it's below the average temps but it's sure nothing I haven't seen (or felt) numerous winters in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Right now as I type, Madison, WI is 20 degrees colder than most of Mars without wind chill. Mars is -7 and Madison will hit -27 tonight (-35-40 with wind chill). Our snow is mostly done other than flurries (12" on the ground), but dangerous temps won't abate until mid-day Thursday and most schools as well as my credit union have already announced they will be closed until Friday morning.

MANDATORY Netflix & chill....a new concept.
    Yeesh! Sounds like a good time to stay indoors...

Take care of yourself, Geez! Stay warm, and settle in by the fireplace here at PE.

For some reason our schools cancelled all after-school activities today - we have no idea why. They said it was due to weather, but all it did was rain, and it was way above freezing all day. It's like they wanted to get in on the act.

One positive of the extreme cold is that it kills overwintering pests, various beetles and crawly things, that due to the recent warmer than usual winters have made inroads to our more northern forests with diasterous , to the trees at least , outcomes. Personally I need one night of -1 degree , at least , to kill off the leafminers that kill arborvitaes , of which I have a bunch. It takes exposure to that low temp to crystalize and kill the little basterds. Otherwise , I have to spray insecticide , which I am uncomfortable doing.
    Its winter , its supposed to be cold!

During the last cold snap our house was pretty cold - our boiler is good but the house is old with a ton of windows, so the boiler was over taxed. Tonight, as the cold is supposed to set in shortly after sunset, we're going to try heating the hell out of the house before that happens in hopes that the heat will last the night.

I also need to bring in a little firewood - our fireplace doesn't actually provide heat, but can provide the illusion of heat! Again, we've had some cold weather but almost no snow to speak of, which is fine by me, although I think the birds and squirrels would say otherwise. Steve, I agree about the pests - we've hardly seen any stink bugs this winter, which is nice.

I'll be using the fireplace tonight and tomorrow.

The coldest day I remember was in the 1990s when it hit about -30 here in Wexford, PA, just 20 miles north of Pittsburgh. (You just have to go out to experience it, though, right?)

Anyhoo, I was scheduled for jury duty that day, but they shut down the entire city. Alas, by them doing so, I had fulfilled my obligation and did not need to serve.

Meanwhile here in the Phoenix area, we're having what we affectionately refer to as "Chamber of Commerce weather." Temps in the mid 70s.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Meanwhile here in the Phoenix area, we're having what we affectionately refer to as "Chamber of Commerce weather." Temps in the mid 70s.
    I have a friend who moved from WI to LA back in the 70s and every time Madison would have a deep freeze would call me and say stuff like, "Man, it was hard today. I had to take off my long pants & put on shorts. How is it there?"

And I would call him an insensitive asshole and be done with it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I think right now my in laws are happy that they sold their house in Madison, WI last year and now live in Tucson full-time.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Been enjoying this BBQ weather in North Scottsdale! Got the grill all set for the Super Bowl...!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Been enjoying this BBQ weather in North Scottsdale! Got the grill all set for the Super Bowl...!
    I still use my grill, no matter what time of year it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I still use my grill, no matter what time of year it is.
    Amen to that! I've been known to grill while it's raining at midnight. I used to love to watch David Letterman while enjoying some hot links.

I've been to Scottsdale in late June. It was 115 and the air conditioning couldn't keep up. My furnace is keeping the house above 70 and the windchill outside is -35. I'll take living in the north for now. My dad would go south with my mom in October, when golfing outside was less than pleasant and return when it was time to file his taxes. He was proud to be golfing 12 months a year.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart