Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new prog

Need new prog

I'm trying to use up an Itunes card I got for Christmas, The amount of bands talked about on this site is a little overwhelming so I need some suggestions. I generally like my prog more heavy on the keyboards rather than heavy on the guitar. I'm really into the Pendragon kind of sound, any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

Have you tried Arena? They are rather keyboard-heavy. I think their best album is Contagion, but The Visitor and Pepper's Ghost are also quite good.

Early IQ is quite keyboard heavy. As are Martin Orford's solo albums, The Old Road especially is fantastic.

Then there is this little band called Glass Hammer you may have heard of ...

chalkpie

Band is called PoiL. They use a lot of keyboards.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squonk View Post
    I'm trying to use up an Itunes card I got for Christmas, The amount of bands talked about on this site is a little overwhelming so I need some suggestions. I generally like my prog more heavy on the keyboards rather than heavy on the guitar. I'm really into the Pendragon kind of sound, any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks
    Where to begin?! It'd be helpful if you jotted down a selection of bands that you do have, so we don't suggest them, plus it could narrow down even more what types of bands to recommend. Having said that, I'm really digging the last Agents of Mercy, "Black Forest", that I recently picked up. Kaipa in all it's iterations would also be a safe bet. Are you a Flower Kings fan?

I'm into this kind of music myself...well, at least sometimes.
    So here could be some suggestions:

Presto Ballet - most of their stuff is keyboard driven, but their first two albums "Peace Among The Ruins" and especially "The Lost Art Of Time Travel" are super with a heavy dominance of keys
    Janison Edge - they have one album, but there's a lot of neo-prog style keys
    Mystery - "Beneath The Veil Of Winter's Face" - in my opinion, their best album (with a great hard edge)
    Magellan - "Impending Ascension" is great
    Simon Says - "Tardigrade"
    Moonrise - I love this one, a neo band from Poland, lots and lots of keys and a great guitar sound, they have three albums
    Barock Project - "Coffee In Neukolln"
    Frost - "Milliontown"
    Arena - "The Visitor" - somebody already mentioned that and I agree
    Haken - "Aquarius" - prog metal, but may be of interest
    Pagan's Mind - this too is prog metal, but their keyboards player is awesome, the second and third albums are the best
    Comedy of Errors - "Fanfare & Fantasy" - a great keys dominated neo-prog album
    Pallas - "The Sentinel"
    Landmarq - "Entertaining Angels"
    Knight Area - basically any of their albums, but the earlier ones seem better

Sounds like you need some Kino, or latter-day, John Mitchell-led It Bites, or one of Martin Orford's solo albums.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

As selmer said, give Presto Ballet a try. If you like female fronted prog, try District 97.

Nexus from Argentina, which features the great keyboardist Lalo Huber. Also, for an excellent keyboard dominated band, try the Par Lindh Project.

FIELD OF VISION - The Vicissitudes of Life EP on iTunes

http://www.fieldofvisionmusic.com/music

Something else - massive analogue keyboards, ELP'ish, no vocals.

Jens Johansson: Fjäderlösa tvåfotingar (with Jonas Hellborg & Anders Johansson)
    http://www.discogs.com/Jens-Johansso...elease/2392478

Yep I'm a Flower Kings fan, never heard of the other bands you listed so I'll have to look into them, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Where to begin?! It'd be helpful if you jotted down a selection of bands that you do have, so we don't suggest them, plus it could narrow down even more what types of bands to recommend. Having said that, I'm really digging the last Agents of Mercy, "Black Forest", that I recently picked up. Kaipa in all it's iterations would also be a safe bet. Are you a Flower Kings fan?
    Yep I'm a Flower Kings fan, never heard of the other bands you listed so I'll have to look into them, thanks

Thanks everyone, actually every post was helpful

If you want keys, Par Lindh Project is a must!

try Mundus Incompertus first

New keyboard-oriented band - THEO "The Game of Ouroboros"
    http://generationprog.bandcamp.com/a...e-of-ouroboros

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    If you don't already have Karmakanic (Jonas Reingold's band) in your collection, since you're a Flower Kings fan, it's a must. Tomas Bodin's albums are very good as well. Heck, most of the offshoots are worth picking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    If you don't already have Karmakanic (Jonas Reingold's band) in your collection, since you're a Flower Kings fan, it's a must. Tomas Bodin's albums are very good as well. Heck, most of the offshoots are worth picking up.
    Btw, is Karmakanic working on something new?

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Nexus from Argentina, which features the great keyboardist Lalo Huber.
    Lalo Huber also has a solo album which is even more keyboard saturated. In addition, it features English lyrics for anyone who's bothered by the Spanish lyrics of Nexus.

Gotta make the plug...

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    Gotta make the plug...

- Matt
    I second Moetar. Both albums a must have. I'd also put a vote in for Phideaux. Consistently brilliant. Number Seven or Doomsday Afternoon my top 2 Phideaux albums. If you don't love any of these albums I'd give up and move to Country & Western.

Quote Originally Posted by Squonk View Post
    Thanks everyone, actually every post was helpful
    if you into Pendragon, it's all about Nick bending those strings in melodic prolonged soloing. I bet you'll enjoy Airbag!

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, so here goes:

Tiger Moth Tales - Cocoon

Excellent album with lush keyboard arrangements.

http://www.tigermothtales.com/

I second the suggestions for IQ, Arena, The Flower Kings and the Par Lindh Project. Not a new band of course but I recommend Camel. See the Dust and Dreams thread. Also, Spock's Beard wasn't mentioned yet so I want to mention them but I only know their early stuff(the Light is a good place to start). Also the band Moth Vellum(they only put out one album but recently they morphed into another band who's name I can't remember off the top of my head).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [...] Also the band Moth Vellum(they only put out one album but recently they morphed into another band who's name I can't remember off the top of my head).
    Yes, definitely Moth Vellum!

Their guitarist, Johannes Luley, formed a new band a year or two back called Perfect Beings. They're quite good as well, although for me they didn't quite hit the heights that Moth Vellum did.

Luley's solo album Tales From Sheepfather's Grove is also very good.