Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Does anyone know which prog band played to the biggest audience in the 70's?

They weren't playing a lot of prog by this point, but Genesis' four consecuitve sold out Wembley concerts would have to be a contender, right? That was over 300,000 people in the aggregate, and all for one band.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Your argument is flawed.

The basic one is your assumption that the "song" is the basis of music.

I am interested in hearing more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Take the rock band "Boston". If the big organ opening to "Long Time" were written by ELP, everyone would be hailing it as their big masterpiece. I think a band like Boston probably did a piece like "Long Time" to poke fun at prog bands as if "yeah, we could do that stuff too, but we are not that self indulgent to do a whole album of that stuff".
    "No. We'd prefer to write self-indulgent AOR pablum for the masses."

To compare LT to anything ELP wrote is ludicrous to the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I am interested in hearing more about this.
    Is the basis of literature the "poem"? Is the basis of painting the "portrait"?

Is there a song at the heart of "The Heavenly Music Corporation" or Cage's "4:33"?

Is the basis of literature the "poem"? Is the basis of painting the "portrait"?

Is there a song at the heart of "The Heavenly Music Corporation" or Cage's "4:33"?
    I thought a "song" was any particular musical composition. Cage's 4:33 is neither a song nor a musical composition, as it is not music.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Isle of Wight festival 1970 had a total of 600,000 visitors and I'm pretty sure a huge chunk of those would have seen Jethro Tull and The Moody Blues on the Sunday, which was the 4th and last day of the festival.
    Yep, I posted about that show and it seems to have been missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ELP
    Jethro Tull
    Chicago
    Supertramp (maybe not prog at this point)
    Procol Harum
    The Doors
    The Moody Blues

All played at the Isle of Wight in 1970 in front of 600-700,000 people
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I thought a "song" was any particular musical composition.
    No, in general, a song is a musical piece which can be sung by a human being. Now, people can do a lot with their voices, but songs are more of a subset of vocal works. A more restricted concept is usually used. For example, a melody that most people can sing, that is repeated, etc. Some do use "song" the way you suggest, but would you really say the The Rite of Spring is a song?

Cage's 4:33 is neither a song nor a musical composition, as it is not music.
    I believe that Cage was trying to show that there is no silence and that ambient sound around us is music.
    So, all performances of this piece, rather than being the same, are completely different.

Music, to me, is organized sound. Let's say that we have a composition for 88 pianos where each pianist is assigned a single not to play and their music is written arising from mathematical concepts. For example, the lowest note line might be based on pi where each digital represents the number of quarter-notes played and quarter-note rests, alternatively. The composition lasts 24 hours. Almost no one would call this a "song".

No, in general, a song is a musical piece which can be sung by a human being. Now, people can do a lot with their voices, but songs are more of a subset of vocal works. A more restricted concept is usually used. For example, a melody that most people can sing, that is repeated, etc. Some do use "song" the way you suggest, but would you really say the The Rite of Spring is a song?

Music, to me, is organized sound. Let's say that we have a composition for 88 pianos where each pianist is assigned a single not to play and their music is written arising from mathematical concepts. For example, the lowest note line might be based on pi where each digital represents the number of quarter-notes played and quarter-note rests, alternatively. The composition lasts 24 hours. Almost no one would call this a "song".[/SIZE][/FONT]
    The individual parts of Rites of Spring could be defined as "songs" - I don't see why not. Vocals aren't necessary for something to be a song, so any piece of music with a beginning or end could be considered a song.

4'33 is not a performance of anything. Furthermore, it is not music, so it exists outside the scope of this discussion. Anybody can replicate the experience of listening to their surroundings for 4.5 minutes.

The word "song" has virtually no meaning, since it can apply to any piece of music.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I believe that Cage was trying to show that there is no silence and that ambient sound around us is music.
    So, all performances of this piece, rather than being the same, are completely different.

It's not in the 70's and not the biggest but a festival with a high concentration of good music, among others : Beefheart, Art Ensemble Of Chicago, Colosseum Archie Shepp Zappa, Keith Tippett, Pharaoh Sanders (see the poster below): Amougies Festival 1969 Belgium, the festival was planned in the Saint Cloud Parc near Paris, was cancelled by the authorities and then transferred to a small town near the French border in Belgium.

affiche-amougies.jpg
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh goody Facelift & Scherze having a back and forth, time to leave the thread as it crashes and burns in a hideous mess.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The individual parts of Rites of Spring could be defined as "songs" - I don't see why not. Vocals aren't necessary for something to be a song, so any piece of music with a beginning or end could be considered a song.

4'33 is not a performance of anything. Furthermore, it is not music, so it exists outside the scope of this discussion. Anybody can replicate the experience of listening to their surroundings for 4.5 minutes.

The word "song" has virtually no meaning, since it can apply to any piece of music.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I believe that Cage was trying to show that there is no silence and that ambient sound around us is music.
    Not true. A song is a composition for voice, whether accompanied or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Opposite Rufus I dont think quality and popularity necessarily has anything to do with each other.

I attended a concert with Japanese 'After Dinner' in Copenhagen - we were 4.
    Saw Haco in Rome back in '97. We were at least some 60+ folks. As regards your first paragraph, I absolutely/definitely/quintessentially agree with Doofe; tribillions of fans of M.C. Hammer, Yanni, Jacko, New Kids on the Block, Garth Brooks a.o. can't possibly be wrong. The bigger an audience, the better an artist's music MUST be.

Magma performed to more people here in Oslo in 2007 than ELP did back in '93. Hee-hee...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A song is something which can be sung.

"4:33" is not a song, it's a musical composition.

They weren't playing a lot of prog by this point, but Genesis' four consecuitve sold out Wembley concerts would have to be a contender, right? That was over 300,000 people in the aggregate, and all for one band.
    Genesis did not really become a stadium band until the 80's. If we are talking 80's and not 70's Genesis would be right up there.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Oh goody Facelift & Scherze having a back and forth, time to leave the thread as it crashes and burns in a hideous mess.
    I don't really have anything more to say and not trying to be argumentative - I just don't think that there is a standard definition of what a "song" is. Jethro Tull's A Passion Play, for example, is conisdered a "song" by some, despite clearly being a long performance of segued individual parts that could easily be considered songs themselves under conventional circumstances, had there only been track breaks between them. For those reasons, there are others who do not consider it to be a song. There are sub-one-minute punk/hardcore "songs' that have no development at all beyond the initial burst. Some people call them songs; to others, they are song fragments. "Axel F" (and many other instrumentals) is considered a song, despite having no vocals. And so on.

At the extreme end, I think it's more practical to refer to a tone poem as a tone poem rather than a song, and to 24-hour sound experment as a 24-hour sound experiment, because to call them songs would contradict conventional use of the term, and the whole reason why have language in the first place is to adopt conventional uses of terms. Nevertheless, I don't think it's wrong to call them songs either, since there is no settled definition of what a song is.

That said, you never convince me that 4'33 is either a musical piece or any kind of musical performance; the absence of music from an ensemble of people who normally produce it isn't "music" any more than the refusal of a restaurant to bring me my food because they want me to reflect upon the resdual flavors already in my mouth constitutes dinner.
    Last edited by Facelift; 01-26-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Hell, the August Jam held in the Charlotte Speedway, Charlotte, NC had over 200,000.

August 10, 1974 - A nice day indeed!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Jam

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Isle of Wight festival 1970 had a total of 600,000 visitors and I'm pretty sure a huge chunk of those would have seen Jethro Tull and The Moody Blues on the Sunday, which was the 4th and last day of the festival.
    Yep, Isle of Wight.

ELP played there too.

Also, Gentle Giant played the Bull Island (Erie Canal) Soda Pop Festival, Labor Day 1972.
    275,000 - 300,000 estimated attendance

I slept through Gentle Giant, unfortunately. :>(
    Last edited by Beetlebum; 02-01-2015 at 02:43 PM.

With ELP at both Wight and CalJam they pretty much win, especially since they were the de facto headline act at CalJam. Not to mention the Olympic Stadium gig in Montreal which was 80,000 for them alone.

If we are talking about festivals, how about Kralingen, with 150,000 people seeing groups like:
    The Flock
    Supersister
    Third Ear Band
    Caravan
    Soft Machine
    and many more
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kralingen_Music_Festival