Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know which prog band played to the biggest audience in the 70's?

Does anyone know which prog band played to the biggest audience in the 70's?

I'm guessing it's either ELP or Yes?

Pink Floyd?

Certainly Led Zeppelin. To me Led Zeppelin is prog. Achilles Last Stand, In the Light, Stairway to Heaven, No Quarter, Rain Song has to qualify as prog.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    To me Led Zeppelin is prog.
    In The Light?
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Wasn't the Yes gig at JFK Stadium in '76 some sort of an attendance record? For a stadium show perhaps?

Etron Fou Leloublan?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Yes/Frampton in Philly...113 thousand?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Etron Fou Leloublan?
    Them or Art Zoyd, probably a toss up.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    In The Light?
    Sure, very prog isn't it?

Sure, very prog isn't it?
    Im guessing ELP on the brain salad surgery tour
    I Don't consider Zeppelin Prog. But opinions differ.
    Still alive and well...

ELP at Cal Jam '74, more than likely. 200,000 people by some estimates.

Have never seen Zep listed in any 'Big 5' of Prog list so they don't count!
    Maybe a 'proggish' track here &; there but they were predominantly a blues hard rock band!!!!

Didn't Soft Machine play at Woodstock?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Have never seen Zep listed in any 'Big 5' of Prog list so they don't count!
    Maybe a 'proggish' track here &; there but they were predominantly a blues hard rock band!!!!
    How does one go about defining the percentage of a bands tracks on an album qualify it for being a prog release?
    Who makes the rules on that? 50% or more? Does Mood for a Day quality as counting toward that 50%
    I just don't understand this way of thinking.

Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend" that is some serious prog.. and one of the great prog songs of all time in my opinion.
    But he's not prog because he did less prog than others? What about Yellow Brick Road or Captain Fantastic? Queen? Supertramp? Not prog enough?

I think prog fans should applaud Jimmy Page, Paul McCartney and Elton John and other bigger pop stars, who at times fully embraced prog. Released prog tracks on major selling albums and played the stuff live to stadium audiences. That was the best advertising for prog there could ever be. But they knew better than to bore an audience with endless elaborate complexities one after another. They used prog tastefully to showcase their abilities, and that of their backing bands, but they had their priority geared toward crafting great songs more than showing off chops and over the top musical self indulgence.

Prog was more a way of thinking than a genre of music in the 70s. It's influence can be heard in all kinds of releases from Joni Mitchell to The Eagles... from Earth Wind and Fire to the Rolling Stones.

Some bands did tons of prog, some did just a little, and everything in between. Some of the best prog was created by non prog bands generally speaking.

Sorry and feel free to call me old school, but in the 70's anyone who considered Led Zep, Joni Mitchell, EWF, or the Eagles to be PROG artists would have been considered a freakin' retard...!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I'm guessing it's either ELP or Yes?
    Must be Pink Floyd without question.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Sorry and feel free to call me old school, but in the 70's anyone who considered Led Zep, Joni Mitchell, EWF, or the Eagles to be PROG artists would have been considered a freakin' retard...!
    Lol... True that.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Wasn't the Yes gig at JFK Stadium in '76 some sort of an attendance record? For a stadium show perhaps?
    At the time maybe but it wasn't a single concert it was a festival. Peter Frampton was on the bill too and he is probably most responsible for the huge turnout. No other Yes concert by themselves was anywhere near that size. Led Zeppelin held the record at around that time for the single largest concert attendance(@77,000). I don't consider Led Zeppelin prog. I do consider Pink Floyd prog and I'm guessing their audiences dwarfed those by YES, ELP and Genesis by a mile even in the seventies.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Didn't Soft Machine play at Woodstock?
    No but they might have played at the Isle of Wight festival(not sure).

Anyway, I could have sworn I heard somewhere that after the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and the Who the band with the largest concert attendances in the seventies was ELP. Not sure if that is actually true or not but ELP did play several large festivals back then so who knows. The funny thing is ELP never had a platinum certified album. PF, Yes and Genesis have all had several.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Must be Pink Floyd without question.
    I stand corrected. It might have very well been ELP if that rumor I just mentioned is true.

I stand corrected. It might have very well been ELP if that rumor I just mentioned is true.
    Throw in Jethro Tull for the trifecta. They had back-to-back #1 albums with album-length compositions so I’m willing to bet their concerts were quite well-attended, too.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

At the time maybe but it wasn't a single concert it was a festival. Peter Frampton was on the bill too and he is probably most responsible for the huge turnout. No other Yes concert by themselves was anywhere near that size.
    Yes played Roosevelt Stadium five days after the JFK gig. The opening act was Pousette-Dart Band.

Which isn't to suggest that Frampton wasn't a major draw at the JFK gig, but to say he would have been most responsible for the turnout would seem debatable.

As previously cited, ELP at Cal Jam surely answer this one anyway. I believe it attracted 250,000 paying fans, with estimates as high as 400,000 for the total attendance. Of course, having Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, The Eagles and so forth on that bill surely caused this kind of attendance, but ELP were there. In fact, fwiw, they "closed" the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Etron Fou Leloublan?
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Them or Art Zoyd, probably a toss up.
    Univers Zero was reported by the Mexican authorities to have played in front of 120 000, the organizers rectifying this count to 5 000 and UZ claiming only 50 (their usual crowd when playing alone)

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

No but they might have played at the Isle of Wight festival(not sure).

Anyway, I could have sworn I heard somewhere that after the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and the Who the band with the largest concert attendances in the seventies was ELP. Not sure if that is actually true or not but ELP did play several large festivals back then so who knows. The funny thing is ELP never had a platinum certified album. PF, Yes and Genesis have all had several.
    We are talking about the 70's, Genesis never had a platinum album until they're 80's pop period, not even a Gold album!

Eela Craig in The Hague. Something like 20 people.

Led Zeppelin held the record at around that time for the single largest concert attendance(@77,000). .
    The record you're talking about (which had previously been held by The Who, incidentally) is for indoor concerts only, and the actual "official" total was 76,226, at the Pontiac Silverdome (the previous record, incidentally, was held by The Who, for a show at the same venue in 75, with a crowd of 75,962).

Maybe a little later in the era you're looking for, but at one time, Frank Sinatra held the Guinness Book for concert attendance for a single performer, for a show at Maracană Stadium, Rio de
    Janeiro, Brazil, January 26, 1980. And yes, I know Mr. Sinatra wasn't "prog", but if you're going to quote Zeppelin's indoor attendance record, then I think it's worth noting Ole Blue Eyes' overall attendance record.

BTW one reason why concert attendance in stadiums and arenas back in the 70's was because of promoters packing the venues with as many people as they could squeeze in. After The Who debacle in Cincinnati, most jurisdictions instituted precise safety regulations, including limits on how many people who could have in your stadium or arena. So even in the same venue, a show that may have had 70,000 in 1977, a few years later might only have 65,000.

Edit: OK, here's what I was looking for on the Sinatra deal: One-Man Concert Attendance: The largest live audience ever attracted by a solo performer is an estimated 175,000 in the Maracană Stadium, Rio de
    Janeiro, Brazil to hear Frank Sinatra sing on January 26, 1980.