Thread: John Zorn: The Last Judgment

John Zorn: The Last Judgment

Released just a couple months ago, this follows the "Moonchild Trio" (Mike Patton / Trevor Dunn / Joey Baron) plus John Medeski on organ-formula of 2012's "Templars: In Sacred Blood", making it a sequel / companion piece (a duology with the Moonchild septology, for you ology-ologists I call them the Templars Quartet, cuz, you know...Anyway, this is, according to Zorn, the last release of the Moonchild series. Wrenching musical violence sandwiched by mystery and beauty. Punk Metal Gothic Jazz Fusion. This tune here is perhaps the wildest on the disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWUfWU5USLE

i link the john zorn.. (y)

Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    Released just a couple months ago, this follows the "Moonchild Trio" (Mike Patton / Trevor Dunn / Joey Baron) plus John Medeski on organ-formula of 2012's "Templars: In Sacred Blood", making it a sequel / companion piece (a duology with the Moonchild septology, for you ology-ologists I call them the Templars Quartet, cuz, you know...Anyway, this is, according to Zorn, the last release of the Moonchild series. Wrenching musical violence sandwiched by mystery and beauty. Punk Metal Gothic Jazz Fusion. This tune here is perhaps the wildest on the disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWUfWU5USLE
    Tasty. Thanks for posting that.

I feel that it's very disappointing: the two Templars albums have been the weakest outings for Moonchild. I'd recommend the Ipsissimus or Six Litanies For Heliogabalus albums for preference.

Haven't investigated the Templar releases from Moonchild. I can only take so much of Patton's Scat/Scream/Gibberish but I do like Ipsissimus. The sample is quite good.

chalkpie
    The music and screaming (and utter insanity) is cool, but the "normal" vocals sound a bit cheeseball for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    I feel that it's very disappointing: the two Templars albums have been the weakest outings for Moonchild. I'd recommend the Ipsissimus or Six Litanies For Heliogabalus albums for preference.
    Six litanies for Heliogabalus is great, I am not sure I would put it in the same box as Moonchild as I find the latter quite sparse in musical ideas, and to quote lighthouse above me- " I can only take so much of Patton's Scat/Scream/Gibberish".
    Does this mean I should check out Ipsissimus? Does it have a fuller sound than the original Moonchild release?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

I find it a nice step up from Templars. Can't pinpoint exactly why, but that's definitely my least favorite of the Moonchild albums.

Shame the group ends here though...one of my favorite Zorn projects.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Six litanies for Heliogabalus is great, I am not sure I would put it in the same box as Moonchild as I find the latter quite sparse in musical ideas, and to quote lighthouse above me- " I can only take so much of Patton's Scat/Scream/Gibberish".
    Does this mean I should check out Ipsissimus? Does it have a fuller sound than the original Moonchild release?
    Six Litanies is, officially, a Moonchild album: I'm looking at the Obi for The Last Judgment right now and it lists the Moonchild albums as:

Moonchild
    Astronome
    Six Litanies For Heliogabalus
    The Crucible
    Ipsissimus
    Templars: In Sacred Blood
    The Last Judgment
    ('the last piece of the Moonchild puzzle')

The sound of the band did become more opulent on later albums, but Ipsissimus is notable for being a tighter, rockier album. The Crucible is very good as well.

Six Litanies is, officially, a Moonchild album: I'm looking at the Obi for The Last Judgment right now and it lists the Moonchild albums as:

Moonchild
    Astronome
    Six Litanies For Heliogabalus
    The Crucible
    Ipsissimus
    Templars: In Sacred Blood
    The Last Judgment
    ('the last piece of the Moonchild puzzle')

The sound of the band did become more opulent on later albums, but Ipsissimus is notable for being a tighter, rockier album. The Crucible is very good as well.
    Ah, I did not know!
    The first Moonchild album I heard (and also saw live) was simply titled Moonchild and was a trio effort
    (in the live show Zorn guested on one piece which was obviously the highlight of this show)
    Cant say I enjoyed that show apart for the guest appearance...

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Ah, I did not know!
    Unfortunately Zorn's habit of crediting most of his albums to himself means that tracking individual groups can be tricky, especially if he suddenly decides to change the configuration of the group! Given that Joey Baron & Trevor Dunn are Zorn regulars and play together in other bands, it's only Patton who seems to make things Moonchild.

Some excellent footage of them performing the last quarter of the Templars album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypqv375BCiY

Unfortunately Zorn's habit of crediting most of his albums to himself means that tracking individual groups can be tricky, especially if he suddenly decides to change the configuration of the group! Given that Joey Baron & Trevor Dunn are Zorn regulars and play together in other bands, it's only Patton who seems to make things Moonchild.
    That explains a lot. Thanks.