Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Edgar Froese has died

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    It arrived this weekend...I've got it in the car for the trip to/from work, actually

I like it so far...definitely *that* sound. Funny...for years I kind of dismissed this one (along with several other mid-80's soundtracks) because they generally weren't considered terribly good. In retrospect, I'm finding things to like on all of them. Still...for my money, The Park is Mine is a strong highlight, along with the usual suspects like Wavelength and Firestarter (I gave Near Dark another listen this weekend and there are some great tracks on that one as well).

The only one I haven't heard yet at all, is Catch Me If You Can.
    I actually taped Heartbreakers when the film was shown on television here in 1992, simply because Tangerine Dream had scored this. I didn't find the film nor their score very good on watching that. However, years later I got the 1995 version of the soundtrack and was actually surprised how good many of the cues sounded in isolation. My only regret is that the piece playing over the end credits ("Footbridge to Heaven") is a different version on the album and lacks the more wailing ending heard in the film (similar to the closing credits/"Love Theme" piece on The Park Is Mine).

Haven't trawled through nearly all of TD's soundtracks but I think Firestarter and Shy People are excellent, better than some of their contemporary studio releases and sometimes more enjoyable out of their cinematic context, which is rare. Wavelength doesn't really get me going, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I actually taped Heartbreakers when the film was shown on television here in 1992, simply because Tangerine Dream had scored this. I didn't find the film nor their score very good on watching that. However, years later I got the 1995 version of the soundtrack and was actually surprised how good many of the cues sounded in isolation. My only regret is that the piece playing over the end credits ("Footbridge to Heaven") is a different version on the album and lacks the more wailing ending heard in the film (similar to the closing credits/"Love Theme" piece on The Park Is Mine).
    I've always liked the film. Some cool actors in that movie who were overshadowed by other less worthy personalities of the day.

Haven't trawled through nearly all of TD's soundtracks but I think Firestarter and Shy People are excellent, better than some of their contemporary studio releases and sometimes more enjoyable out of their cinematic context, which is rare. Wavelength doesn't really get me going, though.
    Buy the remaster, anyway, since it may bring us one dust speck closer to getting that Firestarter remaster (wishful thinking on my part, I'm afraid).

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I've always liked the film. Some cool actors in that movie who were overshadowed by other less worthy personalities of the day.
    My main observation about the cast is that it has Max Gail in the only role I have seen him outside of Whiz Kids.

Buy the remaster, anyway, since it may bring us one dust speck closer to getting that Firestarter remaster (wishful thinking on my part, I'm afraid).
    Okay, I'll buy it if it's tangentized.

My main observation about the cast is that it has Max Gail in the only role I have seen him outside of Whiz Kids.
    You mean you've never seen D.C. Cab, which also stars Adam Baldwin, Gary Busey, Bill Maher and Mr. T?!

Okay, I'll buy it if it's tangentized.
    Ouch! It's not, but it has a really nice booklet, proper cover art (the movie poster, not the alien kid), and it sounds killah.

You mean you've never seen D.C. Cab, which also stars Adam Baldwin, Gary Busey, Bill Maher and Mr. T?!
    Actually, I believe I have seen it, but that was about thirty years ago and I have forgotten/blanked out just about everything about the experience.

Tangerine Dream didn't score many films that could be classified as comedies, did they? Looking at their filmography, only a couple of their American films might qualify, and none of their German material seems that way inclined. Were drama/suspense/action/horror more to their liking or did the producers find their sequencer chuggings and synth atmospherics better suited to that kind of stuff than vignettes of horny teenagers doing stupid things?

Tangerine Dream didn't score many films that could be classified as comedies, did they? Looking at their filmography, only a couple of their American films might qualify, and none of their German material seems that way inclined. Were drama/suspense/action/horror more to their liking or did the producers find their sequencer chuggings and synth atmospherics better suited to that kind of stuff than vignettes of horny teenagers doing stupid things?
    Well, their music fit Risky Business so well — that movie is all about horny teenagers doing stupid things — that I couldn't imagine the film without TD's score. The scene where Lana first materializes, set to an excerpt of "Force Majeure," made cinematic history. IIRC, Three O'Clock High and Dead Solid Perfect are the only comedies they were commissioned to score. I'm surprised TD didn't do more horror. The Keep and Near Dark are among their best soundtracks.

Steve Jolliffe's new album Magical is out. His words, verbatim:

About an hour after finishing this album,
    I fell asleep and dreamt that I met an old musician friend in my garden,
    I invited him in for a drink saying, its a shame we never progressed with what we were doing all those years ago.
    We then preceded to create an album together.
    After we had finished I walked him back out to the garden saying, I really enjoyed that.
    Yes he said, it was Magical

In memory of Edgar Froese 1944 - 2015
    http://www.stevejolliffe.net/store/magical/

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Last night I was listening to a local overnight talk show, and they were having movie night. They got to talking about how you never have movies with intermissions anymore, and one guy mentioned some movie that had a musical interlude as an intermission, and then the host mentioned that there was a Roy Scheider movie from the 70s that didn't have an intermission, but it featured a musical opening that lasted about 20 minutes and its music was by Tangerine Dream. He recalled that it was jazzy.

Steve Jolliffe's new album Magical is out. His words, verbatim:

http://www.stevejolliffe.net/store/magical/
    So, I got this late last week along with one of Steve's other recent works. They arrived in lovely packages featuring his own artwork and hand-written/signed discs. The music is quite nice; very laid back but with nice flourishes that definitely remind me of Froese's work. There's also a nice little quote (sample) from Madrigal Meridian about midway through.

I'd lost track of Steve's solo work after Space (Omni remains my personal fave of his), and these were quite nice to hear. I'll be exploring some of his other recent work soon.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

^What was the other title, and what were the damage$ on these?

The other one was Hadron from a few years ago (2009 I believe). Both of them were heavily atmospheric with some sequencer-ish bits tossed in.

I believe each one was Ł15, including shipping to the US. Not the cheapest albums ever, but then again these are pretty close to handmade.

It's all PayPal and if you want to order > 1 title, just email him and he'll sort you out himself (gotta love the personal touch!).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Hey, what did you think of that Spacious CD?

It isn't bad...definitely very of its time

The first track sounded mostly like a medley of Canyon Dreams, which was interesting. The original tracks were a bit more interesting to my ears though.

The long track's the best one. Definitely worth the three clams I paid for it!

Jerome posted a track he and Edgar worked on a while back.

https://jeromefroese.bandcamp.com/track/final-movement

This track marks the last official cooperation of Jerome & Edgar Froese in September 2013. Now, almost eight months after the death of Edgar Froese, Jerome has decided to make this piece of music available to the public for free (or donation). The tune itself combines all musical trademarks by the Froeses embedded in their own universe. Don't miss this unique final statement by a family band lineup which got seven Grammy nominations in a row.

credits

released 20 September 2015
    Edgar Froese: Sequencing & Keys

Jerome Froese: Guitar Sequencing, Guitar FX,
    Rhythm & Lead Guitars, Programming

Cover photo taken from the Monique Froese archive
    (Meanwhile in personal property of Jerome Froese)

Thanks for the link dropforge. I really like the track.

Scott
    http://stillstream.fm/ All Ambient/Electronic Internet Radio Your Place of Solace on the net

Seven years today.

Listened to After the Storm today to mark the anniversary.

I feel like EastGate needs to re-release his obituary/eulogy, but with new digital textures applied on top of the whole thing.

I feel like EastGate needs to re-release his obituary/eulogy, but with new digital textures applied on top of the whole thing.
    If you think about it, the same thing is happening, just with people. ;-)

Time is zipping by. Played Oedipus Tyrannus earlier today. Great album, just wish it came out about 45 years earlier. Going to play Edgar's Beyond The Storm later. Its been a while since heard it.
    Last edited by Tangram; 01-20-2022 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Going to play Edgar's Beyond The Storm later. Its been a while since heard it.
    "Magic Lantern" and "Shores of Guam" =

"Magic Lantern" and "Shores of Guam" =
    Magic Lantern is my fav short track of Edgar's. Big fan of his guitar playing.

Saw Edgar with Tangerine Dream live just a couple of months before he died. They played a lot of classic Tangerine Dream stuff. Great night.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.