Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Snarky Puppy

Snarky Puppy

Have you prog-jazz heads found these guys yet? I picked up their recent album "We Like It Here" recently and I can't get enough of it. I definitely need to hear more. It seems like they like to record in a live setting, so all their albums ought to have a great amount of energy coming through.

What think you, fans? Who else have you heard like this?
    Last edited by BobM; 01-23-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Saw them a while back....love everything they've done. See them live, man. I am a huge fan. They are a positive force!

Yep! Killer group of musicians and composers. We Like It Here was my first real introduction to them, and I've since bought Ground Up, which is also excellent.

Their keyboardist, Bill Laurance, also has a solo album called Flint. That one is quite excellent, and if you like Snarky Puppy I would highly recommend checking it out as well (it is on Bandcamp too).

They have a new album coming out (with the Metropole Orchestra!) this spring, called Sylva. Looking forward to that one too.

The closest comparison I can think of might be Jaga Jazzist, but that may be a bit of a stretch. I'm admittedly not very well-versed in these "nu-jazz" bands.

Happy listening!

I've been grabbing shows off Dime, but haven't had time to listen yet.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Open post....insert foot. mpoll's Avatar
    Snarky Puppy.....
    "Be Well... Prog On!"

"The Progressive Tracks Show" on KPTZ 91.9 FM / KPTZ.org - Sundays at 5:00 AM and Mondays at 9:00 PM (Pacific Times)
    also on Progzilla Radio / Progzilla.com in the UK - Saturdays at 6:30 PM and Mondays at 2:30 PM (Pacific Times)

check out the Funky Knuckles on Snarky's label, too.....another great band.

Big fan here! Real music, played by real musicians, that grooves like crazy. No shortage of proggishness, either, especially with all the great keyboard and guitar sounds.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

This track, We Like It Here, was posted here early last year and it totally sold me on them:

Will be seeing them in a few months time with the Metropole Orchestra at the release show for the Sylva album they recorded with them last year. Going to be released on Impulse Records.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

They are an outstanding band, both live and recorded. I would highly recommend going on YouTube and watching them perform their "live in the studio" cuts from We Like It Here." The keyboard solo on Lingus is just plain ridiculous! (Be sure to watch the response by his fellow bandmates hole he's playing it!)

Excellent band. They'll release a new cd/dvd in april 2015, called 'Sylva'. I'm going to see them perform on 1st May with the Metropole Orchestra. Should be a great experience.

Fine music. Good for your ears, no doubt.

Suspended
    Is this a spin-off from Skinny Puppy, or a different outfit altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Is this a spin-off from Skinny Puppy, or a different outfit altogether?
    Completely different. The name is a joke, and kind of a dumb one (I think). But I guess they're stuck with it.

They're originally from the Dallas - Fort Worth area: a combination of mostly white jazz students from North Texas State (at Denton) with slightly older, mostly black gospel/R&B guys from Dallas proper. The beginnings of the band came from Michael League - the bassist, bandleader, and composer of about half their material - getting gigs playing gospel in Dallas, and eventually starting to bring his friends from school along. Then he began recruiting the younger and hipper gospel players for his own projects as well. Some forty people are considered band members, but only six or eight of them are usually there for the tours, and I wouldn't be surprised if Michael is the only one who has played every gig. They're now based out of New York.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 01-25-2015 at 01:09 PM.

My daughter turned me onto them, I was an instant fan. They kick ass.

We Like It Here is excellent. Great band, skilled players, kick-ass compositions.

neil

I really want to see them live!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Trailer about the upcoming release with Metropole Orkest:

David

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Trailer about the upcoming release with Metropole Orkest:
    Good to see that Robert Searight (The black guy who says "They can adapt to anything.") is back. He was evidently unable to make the European tour that produced their previous album, We Like it Here. And while the substitute drummer they got was fantastic, Robert's the heart of the band and without him there's something intangible missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Good to see that Robert Searight (The black guy who says "They can adapt to anything.") is back. He was evidently unable to make the European tour that produced their previous album, We Like it Here. And while the substitute drummer they got was fantastic, Robert's the heart of the band and without him there's something intangible missing.
    I agree with you. Having said that, though, I find little fault with WLIH, and it's hard to imagine it without the contribution of Larnell Lewis. The fact that he was a sub actually adds to my enjoyment of the recording. The pool of musicians that Michael League has to choose from is so deep, that even losing their regular drummer at the last minute can't derail the band from not only sounding great, but making a live recording and DVD documenting the event. Pretty cool.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    check out the Funky Knuckles on Snarky's label, too.....another great band.
    Just downloaded and gave a listen. Very similar sounding group and also excellent.

Finally picked up We Like It Here in anticipation of their gig at my neighborhood theater, The Neighborhood Theatre, in June. Hooray! Not missing them this time!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Weirdly, someone mentioned these guys to me just yesterday. Pretty good but not really to my taste, judging by a couple of tracks.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Pretty good but not really to my taste, judging by a couple of tracks.
    As I listen to the album more, I get the impression that they're a tad too smooth and jammy for my usual tastes, but there's more than enough good here to overcome those slight reservations. I'd rather have Jaga Jazzist coming to the local theater, but that doesn't seem too likely.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I have been listening to this band for a little while now and I found I like them. Would love to see them live. Interesting what Baribrotzer said about the revolving line up of musicians. Makes me wonder about cohesiveness and such, but I am sure that they make it work somehow. I think a lot of modern day bands/musicians have that capability and adaptability and are able to adjust. Maybe it is the evolution of music or just the younger generation's mindset and openness, IDK??