Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Snarky Puppy

I've just discovered Bill Laurance After Sun which I think is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    No, I've seen the light. They are prog gods!
    Symph Weenies Untie!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Symph Weenies Untie!
    Unite!
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    I've just discovered Bill Laurance After Sun which I think is incredible.
    Interesting perspective. Do you know his first two releases: "Flint" and "Swift". Many (I included) will hold those in higher esteem. I also wholeheartedly recommend his live album "Live at Union Chapel". His best tracks in an incredible performance. Head over to YT - there are a few clips from it that you can watch/listen to.
    Last edited by Zalmoxe; 10-22-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Interesting perspective. Do you know his first two releases: "Flint" and "Swift". Many (I included) will hold those in higher esteem. I also wholeheartedly recommend his live album "Live at Union Chapel". His best tracks in an incredible performance. Head over to YT - there are a few clips from it that you can watch/listen to.
    Agreed on all counts.

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    I find them to be decently interesting, but as was said before they're pretty slick, and I like a little dirt with my music, especially when it comes to jazz and funk. That being said, in my town they're pretty big among the university music student crowd along with that Jacob Collier, of whom I share the same opinion. That being said, they're getting a lot of the students into jazz and funk as opposed to twee piano pop or po-faced major-seventh-chord-indie, which I'm definitely okay with.
    I've seen both Jacob and Snarky live, and greatly enjoyed both shows. Kudos to both acts for finding some sort of "populist" appeal with Very Advanced musical talent and content, frankly. Both of these acts also improvise within structures--actually, they also improvise the structures themselves. Anyone bringing improvisation and advanced harmonic and rhythmic presentations to crowds these days has to be admired--plenty of "old prog bands" play the same old tired arrangments of their hits, etc., and have been doing so for years. Plus, both Snarky and Jacob involve their audiences. They're fun!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    What an example of human deference in this thread. It's Snarky Puppy, they certainly don't need the PE progsnobs in their corner, they are accomplished, educated and talented musicians, and they found a niche. Apparently one that was missing in modern music. I love them for what they are, not what they aren't.

We are fortunate to able to select from thousands of musical artists to satisfy our personal earcandy. Snarky Puppy provides yet another flavor in the buffet of beats and notes. Like 'em or not, they are skilled musicians, and they are a "thing" now, so we will just have to get use to it, or go on ignoring them.

Sometimes warm and fuzzy sounds great with funk and snarl, and with them you get that, don't overlook the fact that the band is diverse in both music and personel, it's music they all like to create, and with that has come a fan base.
    Agreed! The up and coming players are Valeriy Stepanov from Russia & Domi Degalle from France. Domi was sponsored to come to the USA by someone from Snarky Puppy.

bump.

New album "Immigrance" coming on March 15th.

Preorders:
    http://radi.al/Immigrance

1st 9+min single "Xavi" streaming

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    bump.

New album "Immigrance" coming on March 15th.

Preorders:
    http://radi.al/Immigrance

1st 9+min single "Xavi" streaming

Thanks for the heads up!
    The new track is fine but it seems to me there's something missing in their studio albums as opposed to their "live in the studio" records. The music somehow sounds colder, with less energy. I thought the songs from Culcha Vulcha really came to life in a live setting.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!
    The new track is fine but it seems to me there's something missing in their studio albums as opposed to their "live in the studio" records. The music somehow sounds colder, with less energy. I thought the songs from Culcha Vulcha really came to life in a live setting.
    The new track sounds good to me, with all the by-now-trademark SP traits: great sounds, quality soloing, and interesting writing/arranging. I totally agree with you, though: those early live in the studio recordings were magical, especially with the video evidence of them actually pulling the stuff off. The energy of either doing new material on short rehearsal or recording things that were seriously road-tested and therefore super-tight was part of their appeal, to me. When I saw them last summer, the Culcha Vulcha material was much improved from the studio versions, and I would expect the same to be true of this new recording's compositions.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

40 minutes of interview and new music from NPR

https://www.npr.org/sections/world-c...ord-immigrance
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They're playing near me (Tarrytown) in April 2023 - tickets go on sale Friday, need to decide if I'll want to go ten months from now! I've just recently started listening to them - NP: Live at GroundUP Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They're playing near me (Tarrytown) in April 2023 - tickets go on sale Friday, need to decide if I'll want to go ten months from now! I've just recently started listening to them - NP: Live at GroundUP Music Festival
    Do it. They are amazing live.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Do it. They are amazing live.

Neil
    I concur. Their baseline performances are excellent. When the combination of musicians and vibe from the audience line up they can be transcendent.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Latest video. New album 'Empire Central' coming in Sept.

One from back in June also off the upcoming album.

Looks like they canceled this show!? It was scheduled for April 7th, now there’s no show listed on their tour for that night. Bummer!!

Trailer for the new album

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post

Trailer for the new album
    I'll get the CD - $50 for the vinyl?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ How many LPs is it?

^ How many LPs is it?
    https://store.groundupmusic.net/prod...e-central-3-lp

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'll get the CD - $50 for the vinyl?
    Well, it’s a triple LP set. Those tend to be more expensive.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

The Enemy God
    It seems an increasing Trent for these jazz/ fusion gigs to be played in front of a blue toothed headphone crowd . I m old but can’t imagine wanting that experience. I noticed some of the Simon Phillips recording sessions/ gigs have this set up .

Quote Originally Posted by gallen1964 View Post
    It seems an increasing Trent for these jazz/ fusion gigs to be played in front of a blue toothed headphone crowd . I m old but can’t imagine wanting that experience. I noticed some of the Simon Phillips recording sessions/ gigs have this set up .
    I'd be totally in on that.

I remember years ago Geddy Lee saying this would be a dream scenario in many ways, though also acknowledging that they draw energy from the crowd.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Its certainly an interesting idea anyway.