Thread: Decemberists New Recording

Banned

Decemberists New Recording

What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World

That's the girl from Sparkle Pony!

While I won't say this is an auto buy for me, chances are I'll end up picking it up. I hope their tour brings them back to Montreal.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sounds quite good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ordered it on Amazon today, listened to it from Amazon player immediately, mixed bag first time through. Some songs grabbed me right away, some were more difficult, but all of their stuff grows on me. I love their sound, and Colin's voice, looking forward to more plays...

Banned

Banned

Banned

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    What a Terrible Album-Title.

That said, the album is pretty good, though commercial suicide, I think. It's a step backwards, and it reminds the first 3 album (before Picaresque). Which in itself isn't bad, though it won't do good for the carreer. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the last Decemberists-album, with Colin Meloy (main songwriter) going solo and adding all the Decemberists-members as his backing band. If I were his managers I'd suggest that.

Oh, and never marry your cover-designer (Hackett did that, Matthew Cooper from Eluvium has one, Colin has one too)!

Seriously, commercial suicide? If anything, several of the songs sound more polished than anything before, to me. I think it's mostly another mix of styles they've explored before, so not a huge departure. Now, The Hazards of Love seemed like a more commercially risky direction for them, being a concept album, and I'm guessing they agree, since they've gone back to a more song-oriented approach on next two releases. I like The Crane Wife best, but all of their albums have plenty to like, imo. I haven't seen or heard Colin solo, but I can't imagine he'd abandon the Decemberists moniker, since it seems they've built up a decent following.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    What a Terrible Album-Title.

That said, the album is pretty good, though commercial suicide, I think. It's a step backwards, and it reminds the first 3 album (before Picaresque). Which in itself isn't bad, though it won't do good for the carreer. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the last Decemberists-album, with Colin Meloy (main songwriter) going solo and adding all the Decemberists-members as his backing band. If I were his managers I'd suggest that.

Oh, and never marry your cover-designer (Hackett did that, Matthew Cooper from Eluvium has one, Colin has one too)!
    The Decemberists have a huge fan base and are a brand name recognized. It makes no sense to rename the same band. The previous breakup was driven by personal reasons, and having Colin going solo was not one of them and certainly wasn't as successful as the Decemberists.

I love the new album, wonderful songs throughout. For me it's just as strong as The King is Dead.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

It's better than the last one.
    The Prog Corner

Banned
    Saw them last night in MD. Awesome show and the proggy performance from Hazards of Love, was awesome. Audience participation was excellent. Jennie Conlee's recovery from cancer was great. To see her play Zylophone with her right hand and play keys with her left was extraordinary. New female backup singers were nice. Closing with Mariner's Song was hilarious with the dramatic entrance of a huge paste board whale. Dramatization in the tradition of Decemberists performances going back to their beginnings.

I definitely prefer this to the previous one. The tunes are just much better and there's a little more maturity in Colin's lyrics, it's not all maritime and fantasy (even though I loved that stuff).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I definitely prefer this to the previous one. The tunes are just much better and there's a little more maturity in Colin's lyrics, it's not all maritime and fantasy (even though I loved that stuff).
    I wish they could master/record their music in way to capture the quality I heard live the other night. It was clear to me that the dynamics have been compressed.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Great song.