Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Genesis - Trespass

Quote Originally Posted by begnagrad View Post
    Can you please let me know some of your musical accomplishments or master works "composed by you" that will put to shame The Musical Box ?

Can you explain in proper music language why is such a mediocre piece?

Or you meant to say that to "your" progressive ears this particular piece of music is not much to your liking ?
    U upset that I don't rate it? Lol
    It doesn't have any decent melody to it. It goes from being really quite to really noisy. Nothing nice or spine tingling about it. Harold the barrel is even weaker. Seven stones and Harlequin are just ok at best

^ we must live on different planets.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    ^ we must live on different planets.
    I like this kind of prog
    http://youtu.be/WIrXFvyBxH8

Second favorite track is Visions Of Angels, third would be Looking For Someone.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    U upset that I don't rate it? Lol
    Nope, not at all, one thing is how you rate a piece of music, i totally respect people's taste and choices, another is to call something mediocre and not being musically able to discuss it on proper terms or to demonstrate why such piece of music is medicare. Simple say you do not like it, and that is acceptable.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by begnagrad View Post
    Nope, not at all, one thing is how you rate a piece of music, i totally respect people's taste and choices, another is to call something mediocre and not being musically able to discuss it on proper terms or to demonstrate why such piece of music is medicare. Simple say you do not like it, and that is acceptable.
    There is nothing mediocre about Medicare.

An interesting discussion on a criminally overlooked album.
    I agree with most in that the Knife jars somewhat with the general pastoral feel of the album,
    and would have preferred a studio version of 'The Light' instead.

Can anyone explain why the band decided to dig up White Mountain for the 76 tours?

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    An interesting discussion on a criminally overlooked album.
    I agree with most in that the Knife jars somewhat with the general pastoral feel of the album,
    and would have preferred a studio version of 'The Light' instead.
    "The Light" did not exist at the time of recording Trespass. It was worked on after Phil joined (beginning with a bit he brought to the band that eventually became "Lilywhite Lilith").

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    Can anyone explain why the band decided to dig up White Mountain for the 76 tours?
    This would absolutely have been Mike Rutherford's choice, as it was a song he and Ant Phillips wrote (Mike also introduced the song onstage). Tony Banks has never been particularly fond of the track, and Phil & Steve didn't play on it in the first place. I guess Mike wanted a little 'blast from the past' at the time... it sounded great live, actually. The rarity factor makes the Trick tour one of the most collectible ("Entangled" was another that was only ever played on that tour).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Love this album, I think I was the most surprised with the big drum sound on this album compared to other earlier Genesis albums. Maybe it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Squonk View Post
    Love this album, I think I was the most surprised with the big drum sound on this album compared to other earlier Genesis albums. Maybe it's just me.
    Or, earlier Genesis album, as they only had one previously

As to 'The Musical Box', compositionally the track is imaginitive and melodically strong. To say it is poor composition I feel is probably a matter of just being ignorant of what entails composition and such. The first few minutes are very beautiful, and I personally rate the first half over the 2nd half, but one thing I've learned, because I have made this mistake too, that just because I don't feel something, and find no real strong melody in something, that doesn't mean the strength isn't there to feel. Just not by me. So, as usual with music, its down to individuality.

I was lucky in that this was one of the first Gabriel-era Genesis albums I was exposed to, via an older college roommate. This was around 1984 and he had been a fan going back to the mid-70s. I heard it along with the first live album and A Trick of the Tail. I thought then -- and still do now -- that it stood up to the others, though I recognized it was produced by a younger, less seasoned group.

Along with the generic 1970 production, it suffers from the usual issues all early albums by young musicians does. But considering their collective ages and lack of experience it's an amazing accomplishment. And it establishes a sonic template for Gabriel-era Genesis that continued right up to The Lamb. The light-shade, heavy-delicate, pastoral-gritty, dualities that are part and parcel with all great progressive rock are in full display (learned no doubt from repeated listening to the first King Crimson album), but they're already putting their signature stamp on everything. What a great way to start a career!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

It goes from being really quite to really noisy. Nothing nice or spine tingling about it.
    Your opinion, and I respect that - it's subjective. Dynamics in music is nothing new - classical music was built on it. In my opinion, the use of dynamics in this track are what makes this, and makes so many progressive songs, masterpieces. File the following under "quiet to noisy" - Suppers Ready, Awaken, Us & Them, Baker Street Muse, Afterglow, Closer to the Heart, Comfortably Numb, Warm Wet Circles & oh, dozens, nay hundreds more.

As for the nice, or spine tingling thing, again you either get it or you don't. Even after listening to this for almost 40 years, the end section still moves me and gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing. Seeing Hackett & Co perform it live had me in tears. The clicking of the drumsticks, the swell of the organ, the urgency of the vocals leading to a musical and emotional climax - gets me every time.

I'm so glad this album exists. A really nice time capsule of Genesis-in-the making.

Looking For Someone 9/10

A terrific album opener with great vocals and fantastic instrumental bits & vocal melodies.

White Mountain 6/10

Interesting but doesn't work.

Visions of Angels 5/10

Nice but forgettable.

Stagnation 10/10

A remarkable composition and sublime dynamics.

Dusk 4/10

Nice but dull and bad lyrics.

The Knife 10/10

I love it, especially the long instrumental section that builds to one of the greatest guitar solos ever.

In the bottom 5 G albums for me..sorry!

It doesn't have any decent melody to it. It goes from being really quite to really noisy.
    Really subjective and it depends on your particular taste, The rite of spring for many is a pain in the ear, for others is pure honey. Plenty here enjoy Univers Zero and Art Zoyd others enjoy Oldfield and Renaissance.

From quiet to noisy? Probably you do not like Stairway to Heaven or Bohemian Rhapsody, both suffer from similar faults, let alone Tchaikovsky's overture 1812.

Some others that have both quiet and noisy sections:

Larks' Tongues in Aspic, part one
    The Gates of Delirium
    Domino
    Thick As A Brick
    Waking Wild
    East Coast Racer

I think it generally works, and REALLY works in the above instances.

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual strange View Post
    Some others that have both quiet and noisy sections:
    You mean 'loud bits then quiet bits'?

Listen to this at 35 mins for more:
    (quite possibly the greatest (and funniest) bootleg recording I have ever heard.)

This album probably sounds more like King Crimson than any other Genesis album.

In my honest opinion! The first or four perfect Genesis albums. Foxtrot, A Trick of A Tail and Duke are the other three.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Listened to the whole album the other night after seeing this thread. This was the first Genesis album I bought (in 1973), and I listened to it a LOT over the years, but I must say that I hear it quite differently now. Compared to the other PG-era albums, this one comes up short in many categories. My main issues have been around for many years: the drumming (and the mixing of the drums), and the wimpy "Ahhhh-ahh-ahh" background vocals. Now I also notice shortcomings in the production, songwriting and lyrics. Still, it's a very good album overall, better than many other prog bands' best albums.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    This album probably sounds more like King Crimson than any other Genesis album.
    More like the Moody Blues!

I always thought of this being a springboard for Nursery Cryme.. It certainly cemented their "format" in terms of songwriting..

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I always thought of this being a springboard for Nursery Cryme.. It certainly cemented their "format" in terms of songwriting..
    Exactly the thesis I put forward in the opening post.

Am I the only one who hears 4 notes from Tony in Looking For Someone that originated from the movie,Bye-Bye Birdie sung by Ann Margret? It is the chorus which starts the song.

Check 3:07.

Last edited by Rand Kelly; 01-30-2015 at 08:27 AM.