Thread: Sansui amps

Sansui amps

Just thought I'd throw this out there--I purchased a couple of vintage amps from a guy yesterday made by Sansui. One is the Sansui 4000 from circa 1969 and another is the Sansui 6060 from the late seventies. These things weigh a TON but I was wondering if anyone here has any feedback on either of these based on
    personal experience? I tried both out yesterday and they sound nice but the 6060 is REALLY powerful. Cool looking too with the old "blue light" illumination on the tuner.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

If you're getting feedback they're hooked up wrong

Power Transistors blow in them. But your right they are heavy, they should stop your boat from dragging
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Just thought I'd throw this out there--I purchased a couple of vintage amps from a guy yesterday made by Sansui. One is the Sansui 4000 from circa 1969 and another is the Sansui 6060 from the late seventies. These things weigh a TON but I was wondering if anyone here has any feedback on either of these based on
    personal experience? I tried both out yesterday and they sound nice but the 6060 is REALLY powerful. Cool looking too with the old "blue light" illumination on the tuner.
    It's a name that I remember from back when I was too poor to afford anything but I'd go to hi-fi stores and look anyway. I googled both of those out of curiosity and came up with info about receivers, not amps.

Sansui was a very highly regarded name in the seventies.

The 4000 and 6060 are receivers - receivers having the power amp, preamp and tuner all in one package.

Sansui's integrated amps (preamp and power amp together in one package) from that period are highly regarded, especially the AU-717, which commands high prices on the used market

I might suggest that electrolytic capacitors in an amp that old might need replacement.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain