Thread: Daryl Stuermer tours

Daryl Stuermer tours

Anybody seen this.

He's appearing at 2 local venues tonight and tomorrow.

Was wondering if anybody here had caught the show.

He is doing Genesis material.

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Anybody seen this.

He's appearing at 2 local venues tonight and tomorrow.

Was wondering if anybody here had caught the show.

He is doing Genesis material.

DtB

looks like he's opening a whole slew of dates on the Mike and the Mechanics tour

I saw him with his band here in NJ, maybe 2 years ago, and I have to say, it was a much better show than I expected it to be. He pulls out some non-obvious choices of Genesis material to play, which I wasn't thinking would happen.

Overall, I think it's a good show to see, if it's in the similar vein to what I saw in the past.

Mike

Neat! I saw him and his band in MKE around the time his Another Side of Genesis came out. It was a good show. The set was pretty smooth jazzy, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. He's a great player. If the Milwaukee show wasn't a weeknight (I live in Madison now an hour and a half away), I might try to make it. But ... I dunno. We'll see.
    flute juice

Daryl is a really great player. Both he and Chester Thompson came to Genesis from very jazzy origins. His style is so different to Steve Hackett and people will no doubt compare them, but no one plays Steve's parts like Steve, in my opinion..

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    Neat! I saw him and his band in MKE around the time his Another Side of Genesis came out. It was a good show. The set was pretty smooth jazzy, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. He's a great player. If the Milwaukee show wasn't a weeknight (I live in Madison now an hour and a half away), I might try to make it. But ... I dunno. We'll see.
    We saw him maybe a few years ago as well. I enjoy him live significantly more than on his CDs.

He was great in concert two years ago. Yoshi's Oakland. Did Genesis material and his solo material. Played guitar like the amazing player he is.
    I'd see him again in a heartbeat.

I mentioned seeing his show a few years ago. I went into it thinking, "Eh, Daryl... I'm sure this will be okay, but really, a glorified cover band???"

The first couple songs start in, and it's fine. I'm not enraptured, but it's an enjoyable show.

Then, for perhaps the 4th or 5th songs, the drums start a pulsing pattern, like the start of In the Cage or Back in NYC. I'm going, "Hmmm, do I need to hear In the Cage again?"

Then, "Deep in the Motherlode" kicks in! Literally, I sat up straighter in my chair, and was captured... From that point onwards, I was sold on the show, and in the band's hands.

So, I'd go see Daryl again in a heartbeat.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    I mentioned seeing his show a few years ago. I went into it thinking, "Eh, Daryl... I'm sure this will be okay, but really, a glorified cover band???"

The first couple songs start in, and it's fine. I'm not enraptured, but it's an enjoyable show.

Then, for perhaps the 4th or 5th songs, the drums start a pulsing pattern, like the start of In the Cage or Back in NYC. I'm going, "Hmmm, do I need to hear In the Cage again?"

Then, "Deep in the Motherlode" kicks in! Literally, I sat up straighter in my chair, and was captured... From that point onwards, I was sold on the show, and in the band's hands.

So, I'd go see Daryl again in a heartbeat.

Mike

That is very cool. I'd see a show based on some of that slightly oddball stuff for sure