Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Rush R40 - US tour dates announced

Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post
    From the final show, last night in Los Angeles.

The very end of that is quite special if you're a Rush fan.

I'm waiting for the LA and Irvine videos to surface myself.

Wow, a few bars of "garden road." I wonder how many people in the audience picked up on that. That would even trump YES doing a little bit "dear father" or "Abilene."

RUSH more than most bands are very, very appreciative of their fans. They showed images of their fans on the screen at the Philly show and I know in the past they have even let fans help pick their set list.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Wow, a few bars of "garden road." I wonder how many people in the audience picked up on that. That would even trump YES doing a little bit "dear father" or "Abilene."

RUSH more than most bands are very, very appreciative of their fans. They showed images of their fans on the screen at the Philly show and I know in the past they have even let fans help pick their set list.
    Garden Road is an OK song. I think one of the attractions is that it has never seen a commercial release. The acknowledgment was cool and the song served it's purpose for the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I hear ya, and I've been to enough shows to know it's true. But I just don't understand it. If I buy a ticket to see a band, I want to enjoy the band. I don't understand the concept of paying for a concert and then NOT watching the concert. Whether I paid $100 for a stadium show or $25 for a small club...it's the same. Why buy a ticket if you don't care about the music?

As for the DVD. It's not the same for me. I get off on the energy of a live show. I lived on a Rush high for days after that show. I'll enjoy the DVD when it comes out, but I won't get the same thrill from it. Live music is my drug.
    It's some sort of epidemic that seems to get worse every year. I got lucky when I saw Rush at MSG this year because the crowd around me was quiet... boring, but at least they weren't obnoxious. I've had too many concert experiences ruined or partially ruined by people who for some reason aren't there to enjoy the concert experience. I'm happy Rush wasn't ruined for me not only because I paid almost $200 to be there but mainly because they're a top 5 band for me and it was my only show of the tour.

Quick review: I thought they sounded much better that night than they did in the shows I saw in the two previous tours. I too was on a Rush high for days. Really enjoyed Losing It as well as Jacob's Ladder and both parts of Cygnus X-1. I also really got into the groove of What You're Doing and danced like no one was watching... I caught a few other people getting into it too

Back to people talking and not paying attention at shows... I was lucky enough to see Roger Waters at Newport Folk Festival this summer, and though I couldn't hear them, I couldn't help but notice how many people were chatting pretty constantly throughout the show. Even if you can't hear them, it's a bit distracting to see their faces... plus, it's Roger fucking Waters... at a very unique setting! It wasn't like I was far from the stage... anyone as close as I was should've been intently watching the fucking legend that was right in front of them, with the excellent new-ish band My Morning Jacket backing him up. I just don't get it. There's too many concert-goers that are excited by things that aren't part of the show, and there's also too many zombies who look bored... here in the USA anyway.
    Last edited by SpaceyTheWhale; 08-26-2015 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceyTheWhale View Post
    ...with the excellent new-ish band My Morning Jacket backing him up.
    "New-ish" made me LOL. Their first album was released in 1999. They've been around for more than 15 years and have 10 albums.

That Roger Waters experience sounds fantastic!

So another of my concert pet peeves are people who watch concerts through their phone because they are filming the show. Except in the following scenario...

We went to see Cheap Trick and Peter Frampton (co-headlining) a few weeks ago. Right behind us was a raised platform for wheelchair seating, that also had a few regular chairs on it. Since the platform wasn't being used, a group of guys came to sit there during the Frampton part of the show. They were really drunk, and really loud. I was getting pissed off and was about to suggest to my husband that we move away from them (not a sold out show and lots of empty seats in our section to move to) when one of the guys turned to the others and said, "Shut up guys! Your voices are in my video." Every time his friends got too loud, he yelled at them to shut up because they were ruining his video. In that situation, I fully supported him filming the show. Whatever keeps your drunk and obnoxious friends quiet.

Just got this in the mail. YAY!

So, just started watching, I find out it's MILTON Banana, NOT Militant Banana. Missed that little tidbit in the opening segment. Always wondered what the hell Alex was going on about in Rush In Rio. Seriously, what the hell is a militant banana? I should have known better.

Still not getting the ostriches and flamingos. The raccoon I get, but not the others. I'm missing something there.

Bloody hell, that's what my next band will be called. The Militant Bananas. It's genius.

Chicks singing along with How It Is. Are you fucking kidding me? Watching this is joy and extreme hurt. "They" always say there's someone in the world for everyone. Yeah, so why in the hell couldn't I have found a Rush chick?

And, it's the last time I will ever get to see them. That's where it hurts, and it hurts bad. I guess I can say I lived long enough to see this yet I lived long enough for it to hurt for living long enough.

Huh. Go figure that.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 12-03-2015 at 11:07 PM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Chicks singing along with How It Is. Are you fucking kidding me? Watching this is joy and extreme hurt. "They" always say there's someone in the world for everyone. Yeah, so why in the hell couldn't I have found a Rush chick?

And, it's the last time I will ever get to see them. That's where it hurts, and it hurts bad. I guess I can say I lived long enough to see this yet I lived long enough for it to hurt for living long enough.

Huh. Go figure that.
    Ah, I think you (and I) will see them again, Don't believe them - they'll need a cash infusion at some point. Perhaps more for their team of roadies, crew, etc. Neal has written about it - how they have this extended family that relies on their touring for their livelihood. I know it can't go on forever, but I think they'll actually turn out to have at least one more big tour in them while they're still able. We might have to wait a few years, but I feel sure it will happen.

I have a friend whose wife sings Roll the Bones in Spanish! Spanish!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ah, I think you (and I) will see them again, Don't believe them - they'll need a cash infusion at some point. Perhaps more for their team of roadies, crew, etc. Neal has written about it - how they have this extended family that relies on their touring for their livelihood. I know it can't go on forever, but I think they'll actually turn out to have at least one more big tour in them while they're still able. We might have to wait a few years, but I feel sure it will happen.

I have a friend whose wife sings Roll the Bones in Spanish! Spanish!
    I totally agree. They'll be back after an extended break. I think the R40 tour was an example of what type of future tour we will see... short, broken up into segments with breaks & non-worldly. I really believe that Neil losing his family is one of the main reasons for this. With his new family he's trying to "be there" & not miss out on the little things, like he did the first time.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ah, I think you (and I) will see them again, Don't believe them - they'll need a cash infusion at some point.
    They're not the cash-grab kind of band. I've seen a lot of recent interviews with Geddy and Alex and there seems to be quite the gap between them and Neil when it comes to touring. I get the sense that Neil, for the time being at least, is saying "no way" while Geddy and Alex are very vocal about their love of playing live and how good they each felt on the R40 tour. If Neil can get some quality time with his family and rehab a bit, maybe he'll come around. At the very least, they all seem to agree that the band isn't done and that they will write new material, maybe as early as next spring.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    They're not the cash-grab kind of band. I've seen a lot of recent interviews with Geddy and Alex and there seems to be quite the gap between them and Neil when it comes to touring. I get the sense that Neil, for the time being at least, is saying "no way" while Geddy and Alex are very vocal about their love of playing live and how good they each felt on the R40 tour. If Neil can get some quality time with his family and rehab a bit, maybe he'll come around. At the very least, they all seem to agree that the band isn't done and that they will write new material, maybe as early as next spring.
    Yup... Neil is the key. He is probably not going to improve physically though. We all know its possible he could get into a better place and play again - he still does now but it just hurts the man. I dont see them "cashing" in on anything. They certainly dont need the money but I understand the extended family being important... but if I had a nickel for every caring company I worked for where I was told I was "family" - only to get laid off - I'd be retired. No offense to Geddy and Alex - but it just doesnt seem to work out sometimes and you forget about those declarations.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    while Geddy and Alex are very vocal about their love of playing live and how good they each felt on the R40 tour.
    I'm not so sure about Alex. Geddy is in good shape physically and jumps and moves around on stage. Alex supposedly was dealing with arthritis in his hands and from the many clips I watched of this tour on Youtube, I saw a lot less smiling, laughing and joking around from Alex than usual. I think he was in pain for a good deal of the tour.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I know what you mean. They've been a huge part of my life.

I ordered this for my husband for Christmas, but I'm dying to see it so I might have to give it to him early!

Did Ben Mink and Losing It make it onto the DVD?

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I'm not so sure about Alex. Geddy is in good shape physically and jumps and moves around on stage. Alex supposedly was dealing with arthritis in his hands and from the many clips I watched of this tour on Youtube, I saw a lot less smiling, laughing and joking around from Alex than usual. I think he was in pain for a good deal of the tour.
    Alex has since said that he has the pain under control and that those reports were a bit blown out of proportion. He's very itchy to start writing new material.
    Chad

Rod Serling High School. Never noticed that little joke. Also love the "Fuck you, puppet" at the after show party. I'd probably say the same thing.

My recollection of the show here is that Geddy's voice was pretty much shot. I haven't watched more than the first couple of songs from that show on Youtube but I think once I do I fear I may be right. Alex also seemed to have a bad night but again I'll have to watch the tape.

I'd rather them go out this way than try and do another tour and potentially make fools of themselves. It's still a bitter pill to swallow but at least tonight when I watched R40 I didn't cry like a baby. I'll get over it. There is still a Iron Maiden in this world(one of many good bands still going strong) and damned if I'm going to miss that show in February.

Keep on keeping on, right?

Another neat tidbit I just noticed, the Ampeg logo was replaced and it said Dirk on one of Geddy's fake amps. The attention to stupid details like that are far too much fun for geeks like myself. Now I have to try and figure out what Alex's shirt says.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 12-08-2015 at 02:01 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I'm in a happy place with this, but I'm not Geddy, Alex or Neil so I haven't a clue to what they are experiencing.

Pretty obvious to me that the massive touring chapter has ended and I've probably seen my last two Rush shows ever this year.

This band is just the gift that keeps on giving for me. (Especially since 1997 when I made peace with it then.)