Thread: Saw Fleetwood Mac Last Night

Saw Fleetwood Mac Last Night

Saw Fleetwood Mac for the 2nd time in less than a year last night in Grand Rapids MI. I was not originally planning to go, but after taking my 83 year old father to Trans Siberian Orchestra back in December he saw an ad for Fleetwood Mac, decided he was interested in going, so I got him tickets for his Christmas present this year. The show was basically the same as they did last time I saw them in Detroit, and once again they really seem to be firing on all cylinders this tour and put on a fantastic show. McVie, Nicks, and Buckingham were all very strong vocally and as usual Buckingham had several guitar highlights throughout the show. All in all they did close to 3 hours with no intermission.

As for my father, as will happen at rock shows like this, some people like to stand and some like to sit. He is from a generation where people sit in their seats and listen to music, so standing is pretty much totally alien to him. In the section we were in people remained seated through most of it, but we were in the corner and pretty much directly in our line of sight was a guy who stood through about 75% of the show (people in front of him were standing too). Being a concert veteran I am used to it, but for my dad I think it certainly lessened his enjoyment of the show. For about the last 3rd of the show (from “So Afraid onwards) the entire arena was standing, but my dad remained in his seat. I still think he enjoyed it though for the most part, and he really seemed to enjoy Fleetwood with his drum solo (during “World Turning”) and various antics.

As I posted on Facebook it is really cool to be able to share some of the same music with my father at both of our advanced ages. As mentioned, he really dug Fleetwood and on the way home was talking about seeing drummers like Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich back when he was younger, some of which I did not know about.

Here is the Set list:

THE CHAIN
    YOU MAKE LOVING FUN
    DREAMS
    SECOND HAND NEWS
    RHIANNON
    EVERYWHERE
    I KNOW I’M NOT WRONG
    TUSK
    SISTERS OF THE MOON
    SAY YOU LOVE ME
    SEVEN WONDERS
    BIG LOVE (Lindsey played snipped of “Bleed To Love Her” when someone yelled a request)
    LANDSLIDE
    NEVER GOING BACK AGAIN
    OVER MY HEAD
    GYPSY
    LITTLE LIES
    GOLD DUST WOMAN
    I’M SO AFRAID
    GO YOUR OWN WAY

ENCORE #1

WORLD TURING (WITH FLEETWOOD DRUM SOLO)
    DON’T STOP
    SILVER SPRINGS

ENCORE #2

SONGBIRD

I think it's so cool that you go to these shows with your Dad, Steve. Thanks for the review.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Thank you for the review. Glad to see Christine back in the mix

Thanks for the review, Steve. I will be seeing Fleetwood Mac at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City on this Saturday night (1/24/15). The weather forecast looks a little iffy, but I am hopeful for a nice night of music lined up. I guess that they really are not doing any new material from the EP that they released digitally in 2013?

Library Jon

Stevesly....do you mind me asking what the ticket price range was for Fleetwood mac? Lately these shows have been getting pretty pricey. And the standing through the whole show thing bugs me too.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 01-22-2015 at 01:00 AM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think it's so cool that you go to these shows with your Dad, Steve. Thanks for the review.
    We have really had very few musical similar tastes until the last few years. He grew up on big bands and was also into bluegrass when I was younger, but he was born a little too early for rock n roll, and never really understood it. In recent years though, he has come to appreciate some of the bands that I grew up with, so it is kind of cool. He absolutely loved TSO back in December (a bit mellower crowd for sure), and assuming he is still able I will take him to see them again next year. Anyway, it is a cool thing. Next up I am taking him to see Gordon Lightfoot in March. I have never seen him, but been a casual fan over the years. Living in Michigan “The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald” is practically the official State song.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Thanks for the review, Steve. I will be seeing Fleetwood Mac at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City on this Saturday night (1/24/15). The weather forecast looks a little iffy, but I am hopeful for a nice night of music lined up. I guess that they really are not doing any new material from the EP that they released digitally in 2013?

Library Jon
    No they did not do anything from the EP which was a little surprising to me, but with the addition of the Christine songs into the set, it is pretty jam packed. I keep reading that they are working on a full new album, but there was no mention of that last night. I think you will really enjoy it; they are as good as I have ever seen them right now. As for weather…….. I had a 45 minute drive home in freezing rain last night which was a bit of an adventure. Had a few white knuckle moments for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Jon. do you mind me asking what the ticket price range was for Fleetwood mac? Lately these shows have been getting pretty pricey. And the standing through the whole show thing bugs me too.
    Regarding the standing thing. Last night it all depended on where you were at. The floor stood the whole show. The lower bowl of the arena (where we were) was about 50 / 50 standing to sitting. The upper bowl seemed to be mostly sitting. As mentioned above the entire arena stood for the last 45 minutes or so.

Ticket prices were pretty ridiculous. When I saw them in Detroit last year it was cheaper, although we had better seats this time around in a much smaller arena.

Steve not jon... Changed it.... Thanks, yes the ticket prices are crazy.... I remember seeing ELP for 8.50 in the mid 70s.
    Would have loved to have seen fleetwood mac. Thanks. I think the hi end tix for King Crimson were 350.00
    Still alive and well...

Well I sure can relate to your post, Steve.

My PE ghost (son Peter, age 35) and I have been to many, many concerts over the years. He was into rock heavily from age 3 on. At 7, I took him to see Heart (Michael Bolton opening???) and The Bangles (Hoodoo Gurus opening).

Since he had his prog epiphany several years ago, we've gone to many shows together. Way too numerous to remember them all. Ghost might.

Great story, Steve!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    BIG LOVE (Lindsey played snipped of “Bleed To Love Her” when someone yelled a request)
    Was "Big Love" with the full band?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Was "Big Love" with the full band?
    No, Buckingham did it solo. He was out there by himself with his acoustic when someone in the audience requested "Bleed To Love Her". Lindsey say "I have been thinking about putting that back in the set" then proceeded to play the intro to it. It got a cheer from the crowd, but after about a minute he stopped and said "that is all I am allowed to play without someone getting mad at me". It was kind of a strange comment to make. He then told a little story and then went into "Big Love".
    Last edited by SteveSly; 01-22-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Steve not jon... Changed it.... Thanks, yes the ticket prices are crazy.... I remember seeing ELP for 8.50 in the mid 70s.
    Would have loved to have seen fleetwood mac. Thanks. I think the hi end tix for King Crimson were 350.00
    FM had 3 different prices in Grand Rapids depending on where the seats were I think top price was around $170 and the lowest were $80 if I remember right. They do carry a big production with them (impressive lights, big video / digital images screen, several back up musicians). I counted about a dozen or more trucks at the back of the arena, so it has to be an expensive show to carry around, but the prices are still insane.

I could not take my dad; he's deaf. But I plan on taking my 29yo son to see Magma in April. It is getting back at him for the all the concerts I took him to when he was young- Green Day, Dashboard Confessional, etc.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

No, Buckingham did it solo.
    Bummer. I don't think they ever have performed "Big Love" live with the full band.

Bummer. I don't think they ever have performed "Big Love" live with the full band.
    I have never seen them do it with the full band. On the other hand Buckingham does a killer solo version with outstanding guitar work. It was one of the highlights of the concert.

I have never seen them do it with the full band. On the other hand Buckingham does a killer solo version with outstanding guitar work. It was one of the highlights of the concert.
    I do enjoy it. For me, I have seen him solo so many times and he has done this version every time. Lindsey wasn't on the Tango In The Night tour, so it was not performed back then.

The Atlantic City show went well on Saturday night. Basically, the same experience that Steve had. Same set list, too. Apparently, they are working on a new album. The weather turned out to be a non-issue.

Library Jon

I don't get the standing thing if everyone has a chair. I just don't get it. Lack of intelligence? Disrespecting of those behind you? I don't know. Maybe it's must me, but standing in one place for two hours is really irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    I don't get the standing thing if everyone has a chair. I just don't get it. Lack of intelligence? Disrespecting of those behind you? I don't know. Maybe it's must me, but standing in one place for two hours is really irritating.
    I actually prefer standing at concerts, but I understand those who don’t, so I try to be courteous and go with the flow of people around me. Sometimes it depends on the show too. At my advanced age sometimes my knees hurt like hell the next day, but I still like to stand when it is rock n roll or blues.

Suspended
    Do Fleetwood Mac still turn up the volume really loud? They used to be famous for it. It used to be said that you didn't have to pay to hear Fleetwood Mac perform; you just had to live in the same city where they were performing.

Could not agree more!

Yes, I believe you're correct; you don't know.

Some love to stand at concerts and also have above average intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Do Fleetwood Mac still turn up the volume really loud? They used to be famous for it. It used to be said that you didn't have to pay to hear Fleetwood Mac perform; you just had to live in the same city where they were performing.
    I would not say they were overly loud in fact I thought they were just about right for the size arena it was.

Jon Neudorf
    Yes, I believe you're correct; you don't know.

Some love to stand at concerts and also have above average intelligence.
    True, but they do it with no regard for the people behind them. Very disrespectful. IMO.

Also, some people have disabilities that prevent them from standing. A good buddy of mine being a prime example.

Regards,
    Jon