Thread: RIP Dallas Taylor

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

RIP Dallas Taylor

Dallas Taylor, drummer for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Stephen Stills, Manassas, and Van Morrison, has died of unknown causes at age 66.

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

RIP Dallas!

Before any of his future notoriety, he was one of two drummers in the 60s LA Psych band Clear Light. I had a cig with him outside of the Cafe A Go Go in early '67 when I went to see them. Funny guy iirc.

Clear Light also had other members that went on to bigger (& better?) things. Bassist Doug Lubahn was the bass player on all the Doors albums & also the bassist in Dreams, an early fusion band w/Cobham on drums and the Brecker Bros., and singer Cliff DeYoung switched to acting and still plays character roles in film & tv. He was the primary villain (rogue CIA agent) in the movie "FX" with Aussie Bryan Brown.

So, again, RIP Dallas.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Wow, he wasn't much older than me. He must have started playing in known bands as a teenager. Sad to see him go.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

RIP

Deja Vu - great album! For my money the best hippy/west coast/folk rock/Laurel Canyon album EVER!

Closely followed by Neil's Everybody Knows...

Which is closely followed by Joni's Blue

And Buffalo Springfields debut.

Love Deja Vu----great album cover and thought it was cool that CSN&Y put Dallas on the cover. RIP.

Very decent drummer. Clear Light had two at a time, didn't they?

Taylor is good on Four-Way Street. Like Gene Parsons, he had much more in him that what often appeared.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

SS - re-read my post.

The other drummer's name was Michael Ney.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Video of Dallas Taylor can be found on the DVD "Van Morrison Live At Montreux 1980/1974." The 1974 concert features Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor
    Taylor is good on Four-Way Street.
    John Barbata played drums on 4 Way Street.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    RIP Dallas!

Before any of his future notoriety, he was one of two drummers in the 60s LA Psych band Clear Light. I had a cig with him outside of the Cafe A Go Go in early '67 when I went to see them. Funny guy iirc.

Clear Light also had other members that went on to bigger (& better?) things. Bassist Doug Lubahn was the bass player on all the Doors albums & also the bassist in Dreams, an early fusion band w/Cobham on drums and the Brecker Bros., and singer Cliff DeYoung switched to acting and still plays character roles in film & tv. He was the primary villain (rogue CIA agent) in the movie "FX" with Aussie Bryan Brown.

So, again, RIP Dallas.
    Good history! I did not know these things.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    John Barbata played drums on 4 Way Street.
    Yes, I remember now. He played on the Tollbooth album by Kantner/Slick//Freiberg, right?
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The other drummer's name was Michael Ney.

I watched Cliff De Young in The Hunger only last week. Apparently he had a short thing with Susan Sarandon (co-actor) during the process. He wasn't a bad character actor, really. His voice is quite strange on that Clear Light album, though - almost like those more bizarre Chocolate Watch Band recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

I watched Cliff De Young in The Hunger only last week. Apparently he had a short thing with Susan Sarandon (co-actor) during the process. He wasn't a bad character actor, really. His voice is quite strange on that Clear Light album, though - almost like those more bizarre Chocolate Watch Band recordings.
    Cliff's voice was riddled with what I would call "acid affectation".

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor
    Yes, I remember now. He played on the Tollbooth album by Kantner/Slick//Freiberg, right?
    Yes. Barbata's resume includes stints with (surf band) The Sentinals, The Turtles, Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, Paul Kantner's Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra (Tollbooth, et al.), CSNY, L.A. Getaway (with Joel Scott Hill and the late Chris Ethridge), and assorted session work.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Love Deja Vu----great album cover and thought it was cool that CSN&Y put Dallas on the cover. RIP.
    He was also on the back cover of Crosby Stills & Nash, peeking out the window from the house. However, there was some sort of dispute, I believe, and he was airbrushed out of the most recent CD reissue. Hopefully, his passing will cause all involved to reevaluate this.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Yes, I thought the same. His name and his image. CSN&Y didn't have to do that. Most acts would have simply listed them in the session musician credits.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    He was also on the back cover of Crosby Stills & Nash, peeking out the window from the house. However, there was some sort of dispute, I believe, and he was airbrushed out of the most recent CD reissue. Hopefully, his passing will cause all involved to reevaluate this.
    On my CD copy, the back of the insert shows a face peering out through the glass panel of the door. Is that him?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116
    On my CD copy, the back of the insert shows a face peering out through the glass panel of the door. Is that him?
    That's him. My CD reissue doesn't have his photo, but my ancient LP sure does.

Banned
    Geezer, sometimes I wish I was as old as you. However as. 12 year old in 67, I did appreciate that culture from the shores of Hawaii. RIP Dallas Taylor, a drummer whose style is on some of the greatest music.