Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gang of Four album

New Gang of Four album

Here's a sample:

Quite nice.

Amazon lists a release date for the physical product as 24 Feb.

Nothing, however, on the band's official store:
    http://www.gangoffour.co.uk/store/

The last album, Content, was an excellent return to form, so I'll heartily recommend this new one for the two or three GoF fans in here.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I have the Entertainment cd and like it-----didn't know they were still around!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Here's a sample:

Quite nice.

Amazon lists a release date for the physical product as 24 Feb.

Nothing, however, on the band's official store:
    http://www.gangoffour.co.uk/store/

The last album, Content, was an excellent return to form, so I'll heartily recommend this new one for the two or three GoF fans in here.
    Love gang of Four to this day. I have the content box, and just about everything else I could get my hands on. Looking forward to this... I always get heads up from Polmico who seems to like wire and stranglers as well.
    Still alive and well...

Also a Gang of Four fan. Coincidentally I was on a synthy-post-punk-goth-dance-techno binge at the weekend and "Songs of the Free" on vinyl was in the pile I listened to. Great album.

Wow that's pretty sweet news, I will be ordering it for sure.
    Yes I like Yes

Is this just King and Gill now?

Entertainment and the one that came after Solid Gold, along with the EPs were pretty formidable, nothing later unfortunately ever satisfied me
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Content is a little thicker than the old stuff and requires more attention... But lots of subtleties that eventually pull you in pretty hard. My favorite track "do as I say". The lyrics on the album as a whole are both heavy and trite depending on your mood. Its a pretty artsy affair. First play had me confused, but now its one of my favorites. No H Block Long kesh, or man in uniform stuff here.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Love gang of Four to this day. I have the content box
    Missed that. What was on it? (I'm assuming it's OOP now.)

I always get heads up from Polmico who seems to like wire and stranglers as well.
    That I am! Last I heard, Wire were in the studio working on a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Yes. I'm not sure if the new one features the same rhythm section as Content, but they were very good.

I love Gang Of Four but I feel their previous album, Content, left a lot to be desired. This snippet was promising but not necessarily in the auto-buy category. I'd like to hear more before I buy. And if King isn't involved I'm less interested.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I love Gang Of Four but I feel their previous album, Content, left a lot to be desired. This snippet was promising but not necessarily in the auto-buy category. I'd like to hear more before I buy. And if King isn't involved I'm less interested.
    Agreed. It's the only Gang Of Four record I truly dislike.

(Their first album, Entertainment!, is my favorite debut of all time.)
    The Prog Corner

Content really grew on me... The song arrangements are quite complicated to the point of being haphazard but eventually my head organized it all and now I play it regularly... If played very loud notice how great the production is.
    Still alive and well...

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    I will run this for Indie Streaming soon (after the release date, which is end of this month), so at www.indiemusicstreaming.com. Though sometimes struggling this new site is doing pretty good. Need to find some real audience though, for the indie-world isn't as present on the internet as progrock (the listeners itself, I mean, the labels are omnipresent).

Heads up... At least one big stinker on the new album thats for sure.... Bad news.

GOF has had a few crud tracks in the past but none as irritating as this.
    Still alive and well...

Polmico, i'm curious about what you think of "England's in my bones". Does it work for you?
    Still alive and well...

It's a little too slick, ain't it? The drum machine sound (very clipped drums), the a little too polished vox (a little Nashville-like twang to them, too).

The guitar sound is very classic Gang of Four and sounds great, and the end of the song works really well (here the drum machine sound creating an almost Talking Heads feel). But there's not much else to it. I'm a little worried for this album.

I'll grab it, still because I know Gill can still pull off a good album. I guess I hadn't realized that King is gone.

Yes... It almost as if they put her vocals over leftover guitar tracks from content... Oh well.
    Still alive and well...

north america tour happening as well. saw them in 1980, look forward to seeing them again. i like the new song

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    New Shriekback coming up very soon too, featuring Dave Allen.

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/gang-of-four
    March 7th, NYC show will be streamed live.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    http://indiemusicstreaming.com/pages...Happens%20Next complete stream at Indie Streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    http://indiemusicstreaming.com/pages...Happens%20Next complete stream at Indie Streaming.
    Thanks Sunhillow. Nice that we can hear this thing before buying. Always liked Gang of Four.
    Still alive and well...

My copy has shipped, and I should have it by the end of the week I'll wait until then to take a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post

Entertainment and the one that came after Solid Gold, along with the EPs were pretty formidable, nothing later unfortunately ever satisfied me
    Andy Gill is the sole remaining original member. Jon King is gone. So I think it's appropriate to bust out the "No Jon, No Gang Of Four" chant!!!
    The Prog Corner