Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Music Traditions

Christmas Music Traditions

It wouldn't feel like Christmas to me without music. I have been playing Bach's Christmas Oratorio every year now for the last 30 years +. It just says Christmas to me. Other's are Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas, Jon Anderson's 3 Ships, Jethro Tull's Christmas Album, (although I have to hear the original Christmas Song that appeared on the Living in the Past album) Steve Lukather's Santa Mental. Greg Lake's song of course.

Mitch Miller always does it for me. My Dad made a tape years ago from his LP. The tape ran out in the middle of "Silver Bells." He put the tape onto a CD for me complete with the tape running out.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Banned
    A Trans-siberian Orchestra concert is a tradition for me these days, cheese and all. This year at least they didn't play the first album for the first time since '99.

Jethro Tull Christmas Album has been a Christmas morning tradition since it was released. My wife and I listen to it while we open our stockings, drink our Bailey's coffees and she makes eggs benedict (on homemade carrot muffins). Yes, we need a nap at some point in the afternoon.

Other favourites include Marillion's beautiful version of "Gabriel's Message", and as of last year and this year, the Neal Morse "Proggy Christmas" albums. Lots of classical music at this time of year too, and the usual carols (I prefer the more somber and serious Christmas carols for some reason - give me "O Holy Night", "What Child Is This" or "The Little Drummer Boy" as opposed to "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree").

As for Trans-Siberian Orchestra, I quite like several of their holiday tunes, including that overplayed "Canon In D" hybrid track.
    www.velvetthunder.co.uk - From the ashes of the Classic Rock Society rises Velvet Thunder!

I'm a Christmas music freak - I love it.

However, I never play it before Black Friday, and by the time New Year's comes around, I'm sick of it. But for that period, I listen to it constantly.

The last few years I've made "Christmas Mix CDs" as gifts for all of my co-workers and family members, etc. It's a great little gift that's fun to create and also encourages others to listen to music that I like.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

i have a few albums that i play every year one of which is a Charlie Brown Xmas (which i just discovered 2 yrs ago thx to this forum). others are Herb Alpert, Frank Sinatra, Winter Solstice IV (new age - Windham Hill), Amy Grant.

my favorite rendition of Let it Snow..

Winter Wonderland..

My Favorite Things..
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Carol of the Bells..

Crystal Palace..

one of the more beautiful winter songs i've ever heard..

Unevensong - Camel

Jingle Bells..

another beautiful tune..

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm a Christmas music freak - I love it.

However, I never play it before Black Friday, and by the time New Year's comes around, I'm sick of it. But for that period, I listen to it constantly.
    same here except i lose interest immediately after Xmas day.

Unevensong - Camel

That Amy Grant song is one of my all-time faves.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

meimjustalawnmower
    For many years I made it a point to buy one or two Christmas albums each year. Of course I have all of the standards, but I enjoy searching out the unusual.
    My favorites, however, remain unchanged...

The Ventures' Christmas Album
    A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector
    Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas
    The Beach Boys Christmas Album
    Mahalia Jackson - Silent Night

These are what we play while trimming the tree.

That Phil Spector record is an absolute classic.

George Winston's December album...this gets a LOT of heavy play. My IPod holiday playlist has a lot of old and new songs on it...everything from Arthur Godfrey, Jim Nabors, and Dean Martin to Jethro Tull and Jon Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    It wouldn't feel like Christmas to me without music. I have been playing Bach's Christmas Oratorio every year now for the last 30 years +. It just says Christmas to me. Other's are Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas, Jon Anderson's 3 Ships, Jethro Tull's Christmas Album, (although I have to hear the original Christmas Song that appeared on the Living in the Past album) Steve Lukather's Santa Mental. Greg Lake's song of course.
    As an atheist, I have no problem with X-mas in itself.... though that pagan/commericial feast is way over-rated, I'll more or less oblige for the people around me.... which are rather grateful for me doing so (since they know what I think of it) and are careful not to overdo it...

However, the most annoying side to it is definitely the music and the movies that come with it ...

I find x-mas mùsic even more annoying the country music... though I'll admit that Bach's piece that you mention is indeed nice
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I hate with a vengeance pop, rock, jazz versions of traditonal christmas carols, psalms and classical pieces.
    I have no problem however with original pop/rock xmas tunes.

One of the most popular christmas songs here in the Netherlands, by a Dutch comedian, is also one of the strangest you're ever likely to hear. It tells about a boy who is looking for his pet rabbit a few days before christmas. He asks his dad where the rabbit is. His dad says he doesn't know, but he mustn't go looking in the shed. Then for dinner on christmas day they're eating... rabbit. The boy's obviously very upset when he realises which rabbit it is. The next day his mum asks the boy where his dad is. He says she mustn't go looking in the shed... So much for peace and love at christmas.

That's.....disturbing.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I have a mix of about 40 "rock" Christmas songs that I made back in 1999. It's my go-to collection for this time of year. I also like to spin the old Ray Conniff Christmas albums, Sarah McLachlan, CGT, Vince Guaraldi ,and even the Muppets with John Denver. I also just got a new Christmas album my Mindy Smith. Gorgeous voice.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    One of the most popular christmas songs here in the Netherlands, by a Dutch comedian, is also one of the strangest you're ever likely to hear. It tells about a boy who is looking for his pet rabbit a few days before christmas. He asks his dad where the rabbit is. His dad says he doesn't know, but he mustn't go looking in the shed. Then for dinner on christmas day they're eating... rabbit. The boy's obviously very upset when he realises which rabbit it is. The next day his mum asks the boy where his dad is. He says she mustn't go looking in the shed... So much for peace and love at christmas.
    You sure that's not a halloween song!

You mean there's anything other than Vince Guaraldi?
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    For many years I made it a point to buy one or two Christmas albums each year. Of course I have all of the standards, but I enjoy searching out the unusual.
    My favorites, however, remain unchanged...

The Ventures' Christmas Album
    A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector
    Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas
    The Beach Boys Christmas Album
    Those are my favorites as well, along with A Rat Pack Christmas comp and an Elvis Christmas comp.

"Santa's In The Slammer"

Plook all the rest, this is the only one I play these days.

Love Christmas music. Once the tree goes up, music is played every night during dinner. My absolute favorites:

Phil Spector's Christmas
    Elvis
    Ray Conniff Singers

Others Christmas music that I like is Perry Como and Frank Sinatra.

Back in the 60's my dad bought a Firestone Christmas album every year.
    A collection of pop singers/crooners doing the favorites.
    Just a fond memory.

One year back in the late 80's/early 90's I took my (soon to be) wife to a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas show.
    Wow, what a load of cheese.

Later, in the 90's we saw a Christmas show with John Denver and the NSO at DAR Constitution Hall.
    I was ready for cheese, but was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a lovely, really nice show.

It's time to break out George Winston's "December" for some background sounds.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“I Try”-Pancake/No Illusions