Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moog is re-ussuing classic modulars

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Funny you mention TD, because as far as I can tell, they only ever used the Moog modular for sequences, and even then, after a couple years, they augmented that with a lot of other stuff, such as the custom built Projekt Electronik gear. Most of what you hear on any given 70's Tangerine Dream recording is mostly stuff other than the big Moog.

But yeah, the price point and the size is such that I probably wouldn't want a big 5U modular (eg Moog or .com). That's why I'm looking into getting a Eurorack set up, because it'll be a bit smaller, and a lot of the individual modules are less expensive than the 5U stuff seems to be. I'm thinking of getting an Intellijel Atlantis "synth voice" module, and between that, a case and power supply, that's a little less than 1200 bucks, and then one can add onto it as money becomes available.
    I think TD currently works with soft-synths. At least I've seen them on television working this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I think TD currently works with soft-synths. At least I've seen them on television working this way.
    OH yeah, they haven't used real modular synths in decades, probably not since the early 80's. Judging from a coupel videos I've seen on Youtube, it looks like lately they have had giant flat screen monitors onstage, the soft synth "front panel" showing. Sort of an EM version of the heavy metal bands and their walls of amplifiers (most of which aren't even plugged in, much less switched on or being used). I've also heard it suggested that even in the early 80's, the modular synths they were using onstage were "just for show" (proof apparently being that in a lot of photos, you can see most of the modules aren't even plugged into anything, though one could argue that maybe they had them hardwired together).

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    If you're handy this is the way to go- make your own Arp 2600 for about a grand:
    http://www.bboytechreport.com/2013/0...clone-diy-kit/
    http://shop.thehumancomparator.net
    Yeah, I was reading about someone who built his own EMS VCS-3. He tracked down the schematics and wired it together himself.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Still...the ugly reality (at least for me) is that having a modular synth is closer to "fun for experimenting" than for "practical" regular musical use. I can rationalize $99 for the Modular-V, but $8-$35k for the real deal, either from Synths.com or Moog? That's one hell of a toy right there...
    OTOH, for under $2500, you can get, basically, the same module complement (excluding cabinet, keyboard, and ribbon controller) that Emerson used for the first three ELP albums.

The caveat is that Emerson's Moog came with the custom-built preset modules.

When I saw Bigelf live, Damon Fox had this insane rig topped with a Moog 15 modular. I can’t remember what else he had, possibly two models of Hammond, a Mellotron, a Minimoog and a bunch of things I couldn’t identify (Chamberlins, maybe?).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

That's crazy. My GAS has subsumed this:
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Yeah, I just heard about the Prophet-6 a few days ago. There's also the new Eurorack version of the Oberheim SEM, as well as Korg's reissue of the ARP Odyssey, and all the other toys that were introduced at NAMM last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    That's crazy. My GAS has subsumed this:
    Too f---ing cool!!!

Who wants to bet that the Memorymoog will be re-issued?

I am still holding out hope for a rack version of the Sub 37...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I am still holding out hope for a rack version of the Sub 37...
    With no keys, wouldn't it be a Sub Zero?

Too bad Roland isn't getting on board the new analog bandwagon. Their new "Jupiter" synths are an insult--it takes a lot more than pretty colors to be a real Jupiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    With no keys, wouldn't it be a Sub Zero?

Too bad Roland isn't getting on board the new analog bandwagon. Their new "Jupiter" synths are an insult--it takes a lot more than pretty colors to be a real Jupiter.
    I though I heard Roland was putting a new Juno synth, something to the effect that it was two Juno-106's wired up to a single keyboard...or was that just another NAMM "joke" that went over my head?

They have been abusing the Juno name, just like the Jupiter name.

But...it looks like they have a new analog/digital hybrid:
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/jd-xi/

I'm not impressed. I want the analog section to have a ton of controls, just like the Jupiter 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    They have been abusing the Juno name, just like the Jupiter name.

But...it looks like they have a new analog/digital hybrid:
    http://www.rolandus.com/products/jd-xi/

I'm not impressed. I want the analog section to have a ton of controls, just like the Jupiter 8.
    The more knobs, buttons and switches, the better.