Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gavin Harrison: "Cheating The Polygraph"

Suspended
    Perhaps this is Gavin's revenge on Steven for remastering/remixing everyone else's work. "Gah, see how it feels, Steve!"

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Kinda sucks the way everything isn't for everyone all the time, don't it?

Hopefully Harrison will see your posts, realize what a mistake he's made, and rethink his plans.
    Rethink happens all the time and when it comes to music, it's almost an essential ingredient.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Perhaps this is Gavin's revenge on Steven for remastering/remixing everyone else's work. "Gah, see how it feels, Steve!"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Fair enough--it's obviously not for everyone, but there's no reason to think it's lazy or unoriginal or a cheap way to milk the name either.
    This thought certainly must have crossed several peoples minds. Hard not to think otherwise. Doing the PT stuff somewhere down the road is alright if he feels he just has to get it out. But right now, working with some great jazz musicians, this should be the most fertile time for original compositions. It's a waste of time and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Doing the PT stuff somewhere down the road is alright if he feels he just has to get it out. But right now, working with some great jazz musicians, this should be the most fertile time for original compositions. It's a waste of time and resources.
    So, in your opinion, when "down the road" is the right time? And why, at that time, will it not be the waste of time that it is now?

Suspended
    Although I'm not greatly interested in this project, I am curious as to which songs Gavin will choose. Specifically will they all be from the Harrison era, or will there be some from the Maitland era?

If the latter, I hope it does not turn into a "See, I can do that better than Chris did" thing. I have the impression relations are still pretty frosty between Chris and Steven, and I wouldn't like to see matters made worse.

chalkpie
    Well, if he is using some of the worlds best contemporary jazz players, why not write new original material? Lazy? Milking the last drop? Steve Hackett? More three day old pizza? Good grief.
    You could make that argument with every great jazz musician that ever played a standard - which is all of them.

So, in your opinion, when "down the road" is the right time? And why, at that time, will it not be the waste of time that it is now?
    The right time might be when Gavin is bored to death. But right now, I would much rather hear new and original things from him. This would certainly peek my interest and I'm sure his other loyal fans as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    You could make that argument with every great jazz musician that ever played a standard - which is all of them.
    Yes you could. Everyone pays tribute at one time or another but this will be just a reworking of his old songs, if you will. It just seems to me, working with great players, the first time out, you would want to make your own musical statement with original material. I for one would certainly get onboard with this process.

i'm not so sure jazz guys (or musician-musicians at large) look at originals versus covers through such a black and white lens...i'm all for criticism, but really, none of us have heard any of it, nor seen a track listing, nor HAVE an album of jazz rehauled Porcupine Tree songs.

It just seems to me, working with great players, the first time out, you would want to make your own musical statement with original material.
    Maybe that's just what he's doing.

The right time might be when Gavin is bored to death. But right now, I would much rather hear new and original things from him. This would certainly peek my interest and I'm sure his other loyal fans as well.
    So, the fact that I'm eager to hear this project - does that make me a disloyal fan?

chalkpie
    Yes you could. Everyone pays tribute at one time or another but this will be just a reworking of his old songs, if you will.
    Not sure what your argument is here. What's the difference between Miles playing "Autumn Leaves" for the 435th time or GH playing a SW tune?

You obviously think this is a stupid idea, we got that loud and clear. Fripp says move on.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    gavin + kScope + PT + jazz vibes = auto-buy.
    This.

Maybe that's just what he's doing.
    But this is old PT material.

So, the fact that I'm eager to hear this project - does that make me a disloyal fan?
    Not at all. I think that most people would much rather hear new original tracks than old reworked tracks.

Not sure what your argument is here. What's the difference between Miles playing "Autumn Leaves" for the 435th time or GH playing a SW tune?

You obviously think this is a stupid idea, we got that loud and clear. Fripp says move on.
    First off, I never said it was a stupid idea nor do I think it's a stupid idea. Just saying he might be better off doing original material first. And your right, I'm sick of anything by anyone I've heard to much of. How's your tolerance for repetition?

But this is old PT material.
    And in the right hands they can be new & original material at the same time. That's the beauty of it.

And in the right hands they can be new & original material at the same time. That's the beauty of it.
    In any event, I hope he has success with it but on this one, I'll pass.

In any event, I hope he has success with it
    There we agree. Let's wait & see.

The cover design's throwback to Recordings has to be deliberate. I wonder if that's a clue pointing toward the Maitland era?

I'm not super interested in this, but that video was crazy good. Harrison is a beast, and the arrangement for futile left it barley recognizable to me. That's proof enough for me this isn't just rehash because he's lazy. The guy can arrange, apparently.

This thought certainly must have crossed several peoples minds. Hard not to think otherwise. Doing the PT stuff somewhere down the road is alright if he feels he just has to get it out. But right now, working with some great jazz musicians, this should be the most fertile time for original compositions. It's a waste of time and resources.
    Are you funding the project? It's Gavin's time and his resources, so what's the big deal really? I think it sounds cool and will spend my resources on it, while you will choose not to, and that's cool. I don't see where one of his side projects would need Board approval first. Kind of a silly way of saying "I'm not interested in this".
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Are you funding the project? It's Gavin's time and his resources, so what's the big deal really? I think it sounds cool and will spend my resources on it, while you will choose not to, and that's cool. I don't see where one of his side projects would need Board approval first. Kind of a silly way of saying "I'm not interested in this".
    He says its a waste of time, and then I call him on it saying he obviously thinks its a stupid idea, and he denies that its stupid. Really? You know what's a waste of time and resources? Thinking about what this guy thinks or cares.

He says its a waste of time, and then I call him on it saying he obviously thinks its a stupid idea, and he denies that its stupid. Really? You know what's a waste of time and resources? Thinking about what this guy thinks or cares.
    Well Chalkpie, who let the air out of your football? Just trading opinions here, relax. I'm always interested in what you say and think because I'm certain sooner or later you will say something intelligent. I certainly don't want to miss this rare event. If you need the last word, by all means.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    And I suppose you head the bearu of silly ways of saying things. So how is the rest of your life going? People, these are just opinions. Happens all the time here. Tell you what. Go find the latest Yes thread and let off a little steam. You'll feel better.