Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camel - Dust and Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I think this is a typical case of someone who spend way too much time alone in the studio.
    I think this is pretty close to the truth, actually. The production extended over 5 years. It began, I think, pretty soon after the "Pressure Points" tour, 1985 or so, with the same basic line-up (Scherpenzeel, Bass, Burgess), but then was halted because of the legal action against the band's former managers. Then in 1988 or so Latimer and Hoover moved to California. It seems some of the album, the ending 20 minutes in particular, were largely done by Latimer alone in his studio, thus the evident use of a drum machine in that whole section. The credits are very vague on who did what, especially in the keyboards department.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post

Very much looking forward to new Camel material. Any Latimer probably has the most beautiful guitar sound in prog.
    New material would be lovely. Some live dates have been seen on a few sites for July too. Some listed on ents24 but not CP yet.

Re-enjoying Mirage today. I too have all the Camel output and my favourite is the one that is on the turntable at the time!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^^ What is this, from a bootleg copy?

Welcome to PE, generic Member!

Thank you, you are the first to welcome me.

^^ What is this, from a bootleg copy?

Welcome to PE, generic Member!
    No,not a bootleg but a limited edition Vostok/Roxbrough treated recording; using dual-mono choke regulated equipment, with ADDAD link legato second per second masters. The difference is startling, it's as if a veil has been lifted from the monitors. The sound stage is deeper and wider and the space around the instruments is greater. Vocals and lead instruments are startlingly clear and the entire reproduction is more dramatic. If you have audio gear that's half decent, the recording is demonstratably superior. Only 1,000 of each title is made and I own the 79th.
    If you are intrigued ask me to get one for you and I will see what I can do.

Dust and Dreams may be Andy Latimer's finest hour..yet. Certainly their finest in my book! And all of their albums have lots of timeless pearls on them, love 'em all. Inspired by The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, but also of course by Andy & Susan's own move from England to California and their, then, unsure future as an independent band. Andy took the money from the sale of their house in England and invested them in the production of this album, which of course was huge gambling. Seven years had passed since the last album.I read somewhere that it was Andy's own favourite. I still play this one regurlarly and it still moves me greatly.

It seems that Camel will play quite a few Prog Festivals around Europe this summer! Me happy

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Dust and Dreams may be Andy Latimer's finest hour..yet. Certainly their finest in my book! And all of their albums have lots of timeless pearls on them, love 'em all. Inspired by The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, but also of course by Andy & Susan's own move from England to California and their, then, unsure future as an independent band. Andy took the money from the sale of their house in England and invested them in the production of this album, which of course was huge gambling. Seven years had passed since the last album.I read somewhere that it was Andy's own favourite. I still play this one regurlarly and it still moves me greatly.
    I read 'Harbour of Tears' was Andy's favourite. They're both brilliant albums anyway!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by member View Post
    No,not a bootleg but a limited edition Vostok/Roxbrough treated recording; using dual-mono choke regulated equipment, with ADDAD link legato second per second masters. The difference is startling, it's as if a veil has been lifted from the monitors. The sound stage is deeper and wider and the space around the instruments is greater. Vocals and lead instruments are startlingly clear and the entire reproduction is more dramatic. If you have audio gear that's half decent, the recording is demonstratably superior. Only 1,000 of each title is made and I own the 79th.
    If you are intrigued ask me to get one for you and I will see what I can do.
    What label released them?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-21-2015 at 05:56 PM.

It WAS Andy's favourite before 1996, Squigs I DO have the very interview somewhere in my vaults (a German interview, I believe). Andy mentioned that the Dust and Dreams album would be ideal for a theater piece.. That was a dream of his. But..Yet again..The money wasn't really there..

What label released them?
    darktoweRecords

Camel - I Can See Your House From Here
    On the Apollo today, sublime

darktoweRecords
    Weird - I can only find a Gmail address for that label.

I seriously doubt that these are legit.

My first Camel album was The Snow Goose, then I got Mirage.
    so, I'm spoiled but I definitely like Dust and Dreams
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I seriously doubt that these are legit.
    They are not legit, they are link legato, I do not know what the legit system is sir.

That's right the email address as you say is the source.
    I think others are thinking that there is some sort of financial aspect to this project, there is none!
    Were you to email the duo, they would be happy to help you.
    Last edited by member; 01-23-2015 at 11:18 AM. Reason: addendum

I did think payment was involved, because you said each release was limited to 1000 copies.

But anyway, they shouldn't be giving away 1000 free copies of Dust and Dreams.

I did think payment was involved, because you said each release was limited to 1000 copies.

But anyway, they shouldn't be giving away 1000 free copies of Dust and Dreams.
    Exactly! It's not theirs to give away is it? Not a good way to help Camel.

Love the first four albums (and Nude) but could never get into a lot of the newer records. What am I missing?
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Squigelyfox View Post
    Exactly! It's not theirs to give away is it? Not a good way to help Camel.
    Anything that increases the interest in the group cannot be bad and the recording are only available to anyone that 'already' owns the original. If you are not happy with the arrangement simply ignore it; your choice of course.

Anything that increases the interest in the group cannot be bad and the recording are only available to anyone that 'already' owns the original. If you are not happy with the arrangement simply ignore it; your choice of course.
    If it is without the permission of the group, one still could consider it wrong.

How do you know they already own the original? Anyone could say that. Of course this can harm the band!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    If it is without the permission of the group, one still could consider it wrong.
    Definitely wrong. They are bootlegs. Hard to ignore too on my favourite band's topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Squigelyfox View Post
    Definitely wrong. They are bootlegs. Hard to ignore too on my favourite band's topic.
    I would consider it wrong as well.