Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NUCLEUS (and Ian Carr) First 4 albums

Only have the twofer of the first two. Actually I've played 'Elastic Rock' a lot, it's not a straight jazz album by any means- the rhythms are definitely rock influenced IMHO.

mmmmhhh!!!... I also have some of these twofer (except that they're not 2on1 but 2on2)

I'm kind of pissed off that they coupled Alleycats with Direct Hits (a kind of ompilation) instead of In Flagrante Delicto (which was reissued on a "onefer")... and of course those bloody stickers claming "fully restored artworks" with those mini images
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    mmmmhhh!!!... I also have some of these twofer (except that they're not 2on1 but 2on2)

I'm kind of pissed off that they coupled Alleycats with Direct Hits (a kind of ompilation) instead of In Flagrante Delicto (which was reissued on a "onefer")... and of course those bloody stickers claming "fully restored artworks" with those mini images
    two on two discs? I figured they had to... I was trying to fit the first two on one disc and I had to cut Marshall's Drum solos to do it. I dont feel much of a loss. While I love Marshall's style of drumming, he's not a very interesting soloist, and yet he has a solo on every Nucleus album!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Even more annoying: In Flagrante Delicto went out of print, but Direct Hits is redundant if you have the albums that precede it.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Even more annoying: In Flagrante Delicto went out of print, but Direct Hits is redundant if you have the albums that precede it.
    (...but I'm not going to suggest reissuing it again because the last time I did, a certain record company guy in here reacted like I was nuts )

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    two on two discs? I figured they had to... I was trying to fit the first two on one disc and I had to cut Marshall's Drum solos to do it. I dont feel much of a loss. While I love Marshall's style of drumming, he's not a very interesting soloist, and yet he has a solo on every Nucleus album!
    Drums solo are boring in essence, already live on stage (a few exceptions, live Tull's Bunker at Isle Of Wight, but how many times can one view it) and live albums.... but in studio albums, if they don't exceed 20 seconds they're OK, but in general I skip the rest of the track (difficult to do in Nucleus or Soft machine, though)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That's what I meant .... but hasn't IFD been reissued by Esoteric in recent years??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

'Twofer' I take as a kind of a generic term for one package that contains two albums, even though these are on two discs.

If anyone has ALCATRAZ' "Vampire State Building" they should compare the intro of "Simple Headphone Mind" to NUCLEUS' "Torrid Zone" from the debut, that can't be a coincidence can it?
    We'll Talk About It Later is my favourite followed by Elastic Rock then Belladonna. Cool to hear Ian Carr on that one NO-MAN album(I forget which one).
    I enjoy all of the Nucleus albums though and of the live ones Hemispheres and Live in Bremen are my favs.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I would think Chris Spedding's "Songs Without Words" from 1970 would be of interest for anyone that's into Nucleus. It's a completely jazzy album -lots of trombone and piano- and unlike what Spedding would be doing for the rest of his career excepting his collaborations with Jack Bruce, as he went straight into rock (Sharks, etc.), pop and old time rock and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    I would think Chris Spedding's "Songs Without Words" from 1970 would be of interest for anyone that's into Nucleus. It's a completely jazzy album -lots of trombone and piano- and unlike what Spedding would be doing for the rest of his career excepting his collaborations with Jack Bruce, as he went straight into rock (Sharks, etc.), pop and old time rock and roll.
    Songs without words is indeed a terrific album, IMHO (though Spedding totally disown it... but then again he renegs his jazz era from 68 until 72), but I wouldn't say it's a straight jazz album... it's certainly more of a JR/F album than a "simple jazz" one - love the artwork too.

It's only related to Nucleus through him and Marshall, because all of the others intervening on it are not Nucleus alumni , but in terms of sonics, it's not too far from Nucleus sounds