Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Frank Zappa: Number of titles you own and three favorites?

I am a big Zappa fan and have most records in one format or the other (BTW I was a bit astonished when I read the good reviews about the recent 2012 remasters and their superior quality in comparison to the Ryko ones, but finally I re-bought some Cd's.)

My favorite three:
    One Size Fits All (one of my first vinyls and still one of my favorites)
    We're only in it...( my second Zappa record)
    Hot Rats (belonged to a friend, but I heard it so often...)
    +
    Zappa In New York ( Hardly understandable nowadays: I recorded this one on a broken MC tape that I found on the street. I fixed it with gaffer tape and draw a small record sleeve and it became kind of one of my favorite tapes and I heard it a zillion times mainly on a cheap mono tape recorder.
    ( I recorded a lot of concerts with this small tape recorder and one day in the 70's I recorded a Zappa concert and the tape ( CC 120 were very good for concerts but get easily jammed) got stuck and I spent a better part of the concert fixing the tape and didn't really enjoyed the show.

BTW like for a lot of music it's the emotional added value for a lot of records I discovered when I was young.

I read recently an interesting interview with Etienne Conod from the famous Suisse Sunrise studios and I like this part :

"Sound? We do not know how sound really sounds. Our nervous system picks up vibrations and creates the illusion of hearing sound. Furthermore sound is perceived by each individual according to his/her biology, history and provenience. And our values by which we appraise what our sensory receptors feed us with are dependent on our cultural context and on the momentary location in the trajectory of our individual biography."
    Last edited by alucard; 01-20-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

A lot of those new 2012s are unchanged - same masters. New York being one of those that wasnt different. BUT - the ones without reverb are all amazing and so much better for me. Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Waka/Jawaka and Chunga's Revenge being some of the best new ones in my opinion.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    A lot of those new 2012s are unchanged - same masters. New York being one of those that wasnt different. BUT - the ones without reverb are all amazing and so much better for me. Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Waka/Jawaka and Chunga's Revenge being some of the best new ones in my opinion.
    http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/pati...12hotpoop.html

^Yes, that website is excellent...and shows just how much chaos Zappa inflicted on his own work!

I think not restoring all the original mixes on the 2012 remasters was a big mistake, so I didn't get any. At least most of the Rykodisc ones I do have, were fairly cheap.

Somewhere around 80 are currently on the shelf...some of his compositions including 20 Small Cigars, Holiday In Berlin, Peaches en Regalia, King Kong and The Little House I Used To Live In are IMO on par w/Monk or Mingus and will be covered by good musicians for as long as humans are playing musical instruments. He made a big crater... NO HYPE ABOUT IT.

Could go w/ Uncle Meat, Hot Rats and Grand Wazoo for a few days...or Bongo Fury, Waka Jawaka, Sleep Dirt. There's just tooo much great stuff in his catalog to get near 3 or even 6.

I bought all the 2012 remasters - btw, I'm not rich, I just extra-worked in order to buy them! - and I think that some really sound better, Sheik Yerbouty is really another album just like Zoot Allures - you really can appreciate them more, like Heaven Born and Ever Bright (by Cardiacs) original master...

I must add that my father used to play me Zappa since I was maybe 7 or 8, so I grew up listening and having fun to those sounds (Waka/Jawaka!) and, being italian, completely ignoring the meaning of the lyrics that seems like a major problem for a lot of people trying to understand zappa... So young singing "Crew slut"

Chunga's always been one of the funniest albums for me, because of Rudy wants to buy you a drink and Would you go all the way (and that trumpet - by George Duke - quoting the USA anthem) that may seem like very simple pop songs, but actually change every bar and never repeat... Loved the drum and bass sound of Tell me you love me, The jazziness of Twenty small cigars and the nice percussions of The Clap, Road Ladies is a perfect blues with perfect hammond and perfect guitar solo and perfect drums by Aynsley Dunbar (he refused to play with Jimi Hendrix, if I'm not wrong) .... I used to love a lot Them or Us and Man from Utopia too (the italian cover ) and all the 88 albums... yes, since I did'nt have a girlfriend then I used to listen to all the bootlegs available when I was in my twenties !!!

The adventures of Greggary Peccary maybe my fave song, together with Cleetus-Awreetus-Awrightus and Andy !

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    Aynsley Dunbar (he refused to play with Jimi Hendrix, if I'm not wrong)
    I believe he auditioned and lost out to Mitchell.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I believe he auditioned and lost out to Mitchell.
    "Dunbar then auditioned for The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Hendrix had difficulty deciding between Dunbar and Mitch Mitchell - the latter won Hendrix's coin flip."

Oops, sorry...

OK, here’s what I currently own:

1. Freak Out!
    2. Absolutely Free
    3. We’re Only in It for the Money
    4. Uncle Meat
    5. Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    6. Hot Rats
    7. Waka/Jawaka
    8. The Grand Wazoo
    9. Roxy & Elsewhere
    10. One Size Fits All
    11. London Symphony Orchestra Vol. 1 & 2
    12. Them or Us
    13. Jazz From Hell
    14. YCDTOSA Vol. 2 (The Helsinki Concert)
    15. Make a Jazz Noise Here
    16. Yellow Shark
    17. Läther

I have also owned 200 Motels and Studio Tan (rid myself of the latter when I got Läther) and have heard many more via friends’ copies.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

It's interesting that you don't have three more song based releases like Sheik Yerbouty, Joe's Garage and You are what you is....