Thread: Stanley Whitaker/Frank Wyatt-Pedal Giant Animals

Stanley Whitaker/Frank Wyatt-Pedal Giant Animals

I wonder how many HTM fans got this one?

I have it, but haven't played it in ages. IMHO, Stan and Frank really benefit from a third writer/arranger like Kit or our very own BP. As an example, compare Chapter 7 from PGA to Chapter 7.1 on the OS debut. The latter is much better to my ears. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    I have it, but haven't played it in ages. IMHO, Stan and Frank really benefit from a third writer/arranger like Kit or our very own BP. As an example, compare Chapter 7 from PGA to Chapter 7.1 on the OS debut. The latter is much better to my ears. YMMV.
    I noticed they have a version of Everything here too.

I got it. Don't remember where, either from Stanley Whitaker himself, or at one of the HtM live shows.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

I played this a lot when it was first released and really enjoyed it, getting anything from the HTM guys is always a good thing. There is some really strong material on this one, and I think I will play it today.

Here's a review from 2007:

STAN WHITAKER ~ FRANK WYATT
    Pedal Giant Animals
    (CRAFTY HANDS MUSIC 83710127816)
    The reunited Happy The Man turns out to be a logistic nightmare full of conflicting agenda’s. The reunion isn’t a failure thought; after all, it brought us the strong The Muse Awakens and a couple of enthusiastic received concerts. It also stimulated Frank Wyatt and Stan Whitaker to write more together, with Pedal Giant Animals as the first concrete result. Although there can be no misunderstanding about the origin of these musicians, it is absolutely not a HTM-album. Pink Sky, Love, Whole and Everything are more examples of the singer/songwriter-genre, by which Whitaker’s voice has that same little burr as Peter Gabriel, while the quietly floating piano-accompaniment falls into the category of Genesis’ The Lamia. These titles though really contain stately symphonic moments, which also can be said for the instrumental Turning My Head. This cinematic piece of work in the style of Alan Hawksaw offers beautiful modest Moog- and fretless bass-solo’s, the latter being played by However-bassist Peter Princiotto, together with Chris Mack from Ilúvatar the guest-musicians on this album. More up-tempo are Chapter Seven, written around a dark guitar-theme, and the Eastern-like Mists Of Babylon, which has a fierce, jazzy saxophone-solo. Stumpy Shuffle leans more on blues and reggae and is more or less a funny sequel to HTM’s Stumpy Meets The Firecracker In Stencil Forest. PGA experiences its intriguing climax in the closing title-piece, in which spirituality and metaphysics go together in a attractive progressive rock-song, which leads to a beautiful symphonic guitar-solo. Meanwhile Wyatt and Whitaker, together with Mack, Bill Plummer and Dave DeMarco have formed Oblivion Sun, with which besides new work, new arrangements of a couple of HTM- and PGA-songs is being played as well. So, the HTM-reunion keeps on bearing fruit.

Yup...a fine CD!
    I like the different feel it has when compared to the HTM and OS releases (yet it still retains much of their musical DNA)

Listening now for the first time in a while, it was a nice surprise to hear that these two were collaborating again, having those guys together has an infectious style that is unique to their respective talents, so it's equally an extension of HTM and OS, just by another name. Perhaps a more laid back version of their other collaborations, yet still has the familar vibe throughout the songs. Perhaps a more contemplative style with a hint more focus on vocals, and instrumentation to a lesser degree. There are songs I love on this, and some I could just as soon forget. Perhaps that is why this became a tweener release from HTM's last cd, to the first Oblivion Sun.

I have it. Love it.

Does anyone know a resource for the lyrics? I cannot quite make out all of them and would really like to be sure.