Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Psychology of online YES fans

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar

It seems pretty redundant to me, to have a site about one group!
    No wonder users don't post in it very often!

Hey, I love Steve Howe's playing (or did) but the only thing innovative about him was to play old country licks in a rock band instead of old blues licks.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Obviously you are more of a chops guy who doesn't care about innovation.
    No way is Trevor Rabin an innovative guitarist anywhere near what Howe did or even rock guys like Michael Schenker, Van Halen. Howe is completely in another league. He's innovative on acoustic as well.
    Obviously you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Hey, I love Steve Howe's playing (or did) but the only thing innovative about him was to play old country licks in a rock band instead of old blues licks.
    Exactly. Rabin did (and is doing) some very innovative things as well. They're both very talented. Very different, but equally "qualified" to play in a band of such immortal, mind-blowing, staggering talent as Yes.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

During the 'In the Round' tour in 1981, I experienced something new that I'd never heard at a concert before - over half of the audience singing along with the songs. Ruining it for me, I wanted to hear Yes, not an out of tune rabble croaking out the lyrics.

And during the tour with Porcupine Tree opening, instead of applause after each song, chanting 'YES, YES, YES, YES' not interested in anything other than their seeing their hero's. Encouraging PTree to get off the stage.

Anywave, two things I've not seen at any other concerts, and I've been to a bunch. Wonder if this thread will hit 99 pages?
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Who knew this thread would be contentious?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post
    During the 'In the Round' tour in 1981, I experienced something new that I'd never heard at a concert before....

And during the tour with Porcupine Tree opening, instead of applause after each song, chanting 'YES, YES, YES, YES' not interested in anything other than their seeing their hero's. Encouraging PTree to get off the stage.
    and I thought the audience I saw Rush with were pricks when they booed Mr. Big after every song when opening for Rush. I wanted to get a megaphone and say " I don't like them either , but they are a band."

I'm sure the 20,000 would have seen the light...

I experienced this at a G3 concert where the audience booed Fripp. They were waiting for Satriani and Vai. Mobs...

I blame Steven Sullivan.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I don't agree.

On many classic Yes albums, Steve's leads had an asymmetric style; abstract, disjointed and angular...very distinctive. This style was far from the blues, far from country or other traditional influences, save the psychedelic but usually used against a melodic backdrop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Why do you suppose a great deal of online Yes fans are such nitpicky shit talkers?
    Yes seems to inspire an elevated level of passion in it's fans, not always pretty, but no press is bad press.

[QUOTE=dnieper;359268][QUOTE=JJ88;359256]^There are Rush fans who don't like the direction they took at some point in their career but I've noticed with Rush, there's not one album really universally singled out as being lousy a la 'Union' or (particularly) 'Open Your Eyes'.

That's true, but with Rush, any new direction seems more legitimate because you can't blame a new member for the change. But with Yes circa 1987, for example, you could passionately believe "If only Steve Howe or Rick Wakeman were in Yes! They would have never put an album out like Big Generator! I hate Trevor Rabin!," and then the bickering would start...

Of course, ironically, TFTO is eons better than any Wakeman solo album, ABWH was worse than Big Generator, and Heaven and Earth sounds like a JA solo album.... (IMO!)
    Rush has often said that the biggest reason they did not add a keyboard player was because it is easier to be fair with three guys, because two against one is unfair.
    The Path is Clear

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post
    During the 'In the Round' tour in 1981, I experienced something new that I'd never heard at a concert before - over half of the audience singing along with the songs. Ruining it for me, I wanted to hear Yes, not an out of tune rabble croaking out the lyrics.

Anywave, two things I've not seen at any other concerts, and I've been to a bunch. Wonder if this thread will hit 99 pages?
    Late 70's Jethro Tull concert had a opening act of one guy and his guitar. He was "encouraged " to exit with loud booing during his songs and finally stuff being thrown at him. It was bad to the point Ian Anderson commented directly to the audience his displeasure and disappointment in their behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Late 70's Jethro Tull concert had a opening act of one guy and his guitar. He was "encouraged " to exit with loud booing during his songs and finally stuff being thrown at him. It was bad to the point Ian Anderson commented directly to the audience his displeasure and disappointment in their behavior.
    Oh, I gotta funnier story although Rod Steward isn't quite prog. Well, maybe if Yes does a Symphony of Rod Stewrt (ducks )

He was in Japan and the audience was so unenthusiastic that he threatened to walk off if they didn't clap.

True story.

Quote Originally Posted by rojon View Post
    I don't agree.

On many classic Yes albums, Steve's leads had an asymmetric style; abstract, disjointed and angular...very distinctive. This style was far from the blues, far from country or other traditional influences, save the psychedelic but usually used against a melodic backdrop.
    Country, sure was an influence, but anyone saying Howe was limited to that only is being extremely dismissive of his talent, innovation throughout his body of work. Where would one start? The classical solo during "The Ancient" to stuff he did on Relayer?

Howe is one of the great genius players that is still alive. Comparing him to Rabin.. I don't get that in any way shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Oh, I gotta funnier story although Rod Steward isn't quite prog. Well, maybe if Yes does a Symphony of Rod Stewrt (ducks )

He was in Japan and the audience was so unenthusiastic that he threatened to walk off if they didn't clap.

True story.
    The audience was unenthusiastic about Rod Stewart or about his opening act?
    <sig out of order>

Howe is one of the great genius players that is still alive. Comparing him to Rabin.. I don't get that in any way shape or form.
    Have you heard Jacaranda?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"Help him out tomorrow...."

Country, sure was an influence, but anyone saying Howe was limited to that only is being extremely dismissive of his talent, innovation throughout his body of work. Where would one start? The classical solo during "The Ancient" to stuff he did on Relayer?

I get it in a shape, but not in a way or form.

Fanboy alert.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Have you heard Jacaranda?

Yes, it sounds like Trevor exploring Jazz Fusion.

Thanks everyone for chiming in on the inner workings of online Yesfans.

At this point this thread is starting to get sidetracked into a "who's legit Yes and who isn't" so I think I will put a fork in it now.

Ever notice that most threads here get to their point by the 5th page and then past it by the 7th page or so?