Thread: The Who - Live at Fillmore East 1968 - upcoming release

The Who - Live at Fillmore East 1968 - upcoming release

Looks like this will be released in the US on April 20. Autobuy for me. I've never heard the boot but I understand this is indeed a mother lode of a show.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NBWT35...VY1CZPBQ&psc=0
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I haven't bought any dvd's for a while, but I'll buy this to see if any crowd shots show the 23 year old me.

They had a week-long residency in '68 at the Fillmore East, and I was there 3 of 7 nights.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Three? Wow, now I need some details. Or at least what you remember of it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It's only a CD, I don't think there's any footage of these shows.

I'm just amazed they will be putting out a live album which doesn't contain Tommy. Whatever next?? A 1968 set will obviously be greatly different to their other live albums because of that alone.

This seems to have more material than the bootleg.

Oops, my incorrect assumption about video vs. audio.

Jer, the thing that I remember most is that besides playing "Tommy" from beginning to end every night, they varied their (45-60 minute) "encore" each night, w/the exception of "My Gen". They did their early career end of set destruction only 1 of the 3 nights I saw them, but it was later reported that they did it the last 2 nights (neither of which I attended).

Still, a shitload of $ in equipment for 1968.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I am very familiar with the single CD boots, which are all mostly the same. Great period for the band and great, sweaty, RAWKING performances.

Two CDs!! Could be very exciting!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

PS

I don’t know how many times they played the Fillmore East in 68, but assuming this is being put out as the 50th anniversary of their April shows there, I don’t think that they were DOING Tommy at the April shows....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    the thing that I remember most is that besides playing "Tommy" from beginning to end every night
    They were playing Tommy in '68? I thought they first played it in the US in '69. (I first saw them play it in May of that year, Led Zeppelin opening. Good times.....)
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I was at the show where The Who first played Tommy in the US. It was at the Grande Ballroom, Detroit. Early May 1969.

Yep! As I said, no Tommy.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I've had the boot for years and will have this as well. A great show. Surprised it's taken this long to see the official light. It's on 3 LP's as well. Vinyl for me!

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

OK, my bad. The week-long thing was in 1969 rather than 1968. (August or Sept. IIRC).

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    OK, my bad. The week-long thing was in 1969 rather than 1968. (August or Sept. IIRC).
    I expected nothing less from you......

Hey! You fucking SAW them! I didn’t..... hugely jealous
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I look forward to this release. Even more so if there are still places to buy CDs.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    PS

I don’t know how many times they played the Fillmore East in 68, but assuming this is being put out as the 50th anniversary of their April shows there, I don’t think that they were DOING Tommy at the April shows....
    IIRC, the first complete performance of Tommy was a pre-release party for the music press at the Marquee Club, London in May 69.

I think Bill Graham did have a large footage archive, but it was greatly depleted by a fire. Bits and pieces survived- as far as The Who are concerned, there is footage of a 1970 Tanglewood show. (I think Jethro Tull's set, as they were the support, also exists.)

I hope this is the catalyst for other releases. In particular, the 1971 San Francisco show (from which a handful of explosive performances have been released) and something from the Quadrophenia tour would be most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I expected nothing less from you......

Hey! You fucking SAW them! I didn’t..... hugely jealous
    Likewise, I too am jealous of anyone who got to see The Who back then. I got to see them much later on, first with Simon Phillips and then a couple times with Son Of Ringo on drums, but I never got to see them with Moon. And I never got to see Townshend smash his guitar, either (which, he actually continued to do on occasion, at least up to 1989).

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think Bill Graham did have a large footage archive, but it was greatly depleted by a fire. Bits and pieces survived- as far as The Who are concerned, there is footage of a 1970 Tanglewood show. (I think Jethro Tull's set, as they were the support, also exists.)
    Yeah, the building that housed Graham's archive was torched in the mid 80's. I remember seeing newsreel footage where he said he believed it was "payback" for his very public criticism of Reagan's visit to Bitburg.

For whatever reason, a lot of shows at the Winterland were shot on b&W video, and at least some of that has survived. There's a Kiss show from Hotter Than Hell tour, which ended up being released on the first Kissology DVD set, and I think I've also seem some Tom Petty footage from later in the decade.

And there's also the video of the Allman Brothers Band, shot at the Fillmore in 1970, the one where Gregg's vocal mic doesn't work for the first couple songs.
    I hope this is the catalyst for other releases. In particular, the 1971 San Francisco show (from which a handful of explosive performances have been released) and something from the Quadrophenia tour would be most welcome.
    Apart from a few bits here and there, I've never heard any of the Quadrophenia shows, but I always heard the had a lot of problems with the tapes they used to accompany themselves for much of performance of the album itself.

I know they'd never release it, but I'd like to see the encore they did with the kid they pulled out of the audience at the Cow Palace, after Moon passed out.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Apart from a few bits here and there, I've never heard any of the Quadrophenia shows, but I always heard the had a lot of problems with the tapes they used to accompany themselves for much of performance of the album itself.

I know they'd never release it, but I'd like to see the encore they did with the kid they pulled out of the audience at the Cow Palace, after Moon passed out.
    I have heard a number of ROIOs from the Quad tour, including the first show they did for the press in England - the only show, while Keith Moon was alive, where Quadrophenia was played in its entirety. There are indeed some problems with the tapes here and there, but the main problem wasn't with the tapes themselves so much as with the band's inability to synch well with them; and that inability can, sadly, be traced very much to the drummer's seat. Keith Moon, whatever else he was, was never a great timekeeper; and, as Big Johnny Twinkle once remarked, the idea of having them play an entire show to tapes was duff. "We're the Who, not the Pink Floyd," he said.

This is not to say that those shows were "bad." Far from it! The Who always turned anger and frustration into music, and the Quad shows were some of the fiercest they ever put on.

Particularly interesting are shows at the Cobo Hall, the LA Forum, and, yes, the Cow Palace. Full footage of the Cow Palace show exists: .
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The Cow Palace show is doubtless off-limits (beyond what we've seen in documentaries- 'can anyone play the drums?' etc.) but I'd imagine anything else would be fair game. If they can put out that jaw-droppingly sloppy Kilburn 1977 show, they can put out anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I have heard a number of ROIOs from the Quad tour, including the first show they did for the press in England - the only show, while Keith Moon was alive, where Quadrophenia was played in its entirety. There are indeed some problems with the tapes here and there, but the main problem wasn't with the tapes themselves so much as with the band's inability to synch well with them; and that inability can, sadly, be traced very much to the drummer's seat. Keith Moon, whatever else he was, was never a great timekeeper; and, as Big Johnny Twinkle once remarked, the idea of having them play an entire show to tapes was duff. "We're the Who, not the Pink Floyd," he said.
    Yeah, I've always reckoned the issue would have to be something to that effect. Of course, they always played to a tape when they did Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again, so maybe Townshend (or whomever) thought if they could do it for a couple songs, maybe they could do it for more. I do like the clip of them doing Bell Boy on the 30 Years Of Maximum R&B DVD. I love how Daltrey hands his mic to Keith for his vocal bits, and Keith looks like he's trying to yank the headphones off as he's doing his bit.

Apart from the issues of Keith (and thus, the whole band) staying in sync to the tapes, they were a very spontaneous band onstage. They didn't jam and improvise in quite the same way a band like the Grateful Dead did, but the idea of these guys having to count bars, or make sure a given guitar solo ended at exactly the right spot, seems like something they would have found stifling.

This is not to say that those shows were "bad." Far from it! The Who always turned anger and frustration into music, and the Quad shows were some of the fiercest they ever put on.
    Full footage of the Cow Palace show exists: .
    [/QUOTE]

Ah, good! I'll have to download that and watch it later. I just want to hear what they sounded like with that kid they pulled out of the audience.

BTW,t alking about the Cow Palace show, somethign that always drove me crazy was what was shown on the 30 Years Of Maximum R&B video. Townshend talks about how Keith passed out "just as we were about to give the US premiere of Quadrophenia" (or words to that effect). Then they cut to Daltrey talking about I Can't Explain and Substitute (which were the songs they usually opened their shows with) led me to believe they played nearly an entire show with this kid they pulled from the audience.

I later found out that Keith actually passed out twice, once during Magic Bus, then they revived him and he came back out and passed again during Wont' Get Fooled Again (which reminds, I did see some of the Cow Palace footage, because I remember seeing them play a sizeable chunk of Won't Get Fooled Again with no drums). That suggests Keith actually passed out toward the end of the show, and the teenage volunteer deputy really only played the encore. I don't think Daltrey was talking about the Cow Palace, but rather Boston Garden show in 76 where Keith passed out at the beginning of the concert.

Tommy was released on May 23, 1969. I saw The Who at Tanglewood twice, in 69 with Jefferson Airplane and BB King opening,
    then in 70 with Jethro Tull and It's A Beautiful Day opening (all sets are on YouTube). $3 on the lawn with my summer camp.
    I'm really looking forward to this two CD set, pre Tommy.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The Cow Palace show is doubtless off-limits (beyond what we've seen in documentaries- 'can anyone play the drums?' etc.) but I'd imagine anything else would be fair game. If they can put out that jaw-droppingly sloppy Kilburn 1977 show, they can put out anything!
    Much as it's undoubtedly sloppy, I love that Kilburn show, even though it eventually collapses into total anarchy. For all that the band (and not just Moon) are undoubtedly rusty and untogether there's a sheer ferocity about that show that The Who seldom achieved again in their later years. A fitting testament that they often played at their best when angry.