Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Surviving Grateful Dead Members Reuniting for One Last Trip

If they were to give a free one-off as their very final gig (in a park, for instance), I suspect it might have become one of the rock concerts with highest attendance ever. GD were and are an institution in basically all they represent (musically, historically, culturally etc.) - something which arguably couldn't even be said of The Rolling Stones anymore.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Re: Mickey Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    And he's been a core member and vital part of the group ever since, just like Martin.
    Except for 1971-1974, when he wasn't in the band.

The reason the Dead's large fanbase didn't quite translate to big record sales is because a lot of fans buy into the "the Dead's studio albums stink" logic. That's not completely true, if you ask me, there's lots of good things on most of their studio albums. The first album and Go To Heaven one could do without, but all the others have their moments.

And while they don't have the kind of record sales that say Pink Floyd have, several of their albums have gone platinum over the years. In The Dark is the only one that did so quickly (the result of Clive Davis finally getting out of the band's way and also MTV putting Touch Of Grey into heavy rotation). Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, and Skullfuck all eventually went platinum, but it took more than a decade for each of them to achieve that goal. So there were definitely buying the records, even if it was a relatively smaller number compared to other arena and stadium bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Lesh had a liver transplant a number of years ago, but seems to be in good health now.
    That was more than 10 years ago. I remember when I saw The Other Ones in 2003, I gave a short speech during the show (I heard he did it every night) encouraging everyone to fill out their organ donor cards.

As far as the "hanging out and partying" thing being a major part of the Dead concert experience, I would say that's absolutely on the money. That's why they were able to put on some many mediocre concerts circa 1980-1995 and get away it. I remember David Gans saying one time that he noticed at some point in the 80's that the audiences seemed to be into it, no matter how bad the band played. I think he said it was as if the gesture of simply coming onstage was enough for a lot of fans.

Suspended
    Isn't "Surviving Dead" members an oxymoron?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That was more than 10 years ago. I remember when I saw The Other Ones in 2003, I gave a short speech during the show (I heard he did it every night) encouraging everyone to fill out their organ donor cards.
    "Donor Rap"- Lesh still does it every show just prior to the encore.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Once Pigpen died, that was it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    3 nights at Soldier Field? I doubt they can fill a 61,000 seat stadium once let alone 3x. But who knows, power to 'em. I'm hoping there will be a webcast.
    Already 350,000 ticket requests in pre-orders via snail mail alone.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...128-story.html

^ Yes, I made note of this a few days ago.
    Well the fans showed me- http://www.jambase.com/Articles/1238...r-60000-Orders
    **Organizers have changed the on sale date to February 28 at 10 a.m. CT and will now forego an online presale. The note on Dead50.net reads, "Wow! We’re excited (and humbled) to discover that your enthusiasm for Fare Thee Well matches our own! We have received an overwhelming number of mail order ticket requests. In an effort to honor the history and spirit of the Grateful Dead, we are going to try to fill as many of these orders as possible. This means there will be no other pre-sales. In order to give the good folks at GDTS TOO time to sort through the 60,000+ (!) envelopes received so far the new public on sale is Feb 28th @ 10 a.m. CST via Ticketmaster." Fare Thee Well co-promoter Peter Shapiro's Relix Magazine reveals that the 60,000+ envelopes are "requesting an estimated 350,000+ tickets for the three nights." We knew these shows would be popular with fans, but not to that level.**
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

It would be nice if they brought out Tom Constanten to play keys on a song or two.

^ Yes, I made note of this a few days ago.
    My bad. Missed your update.

The first album and Go To Heaven one could do without, but all the others have their moments.
    I could NOT be without "Cream Puff Wars" or "Viola Lee Blues" (from the s/t) myself, but I could live without Steal Your Face, which I find to be their weakest official live album by far. If anything, they made a handful of truly uneven studio albums - still even here there were goodies to be had, enough to warrant owning the record.

As for the general quality of their studio output, I think Anthem..., Workingman's and Allah were among the greatest US rock albums of their time.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    As for the general quality of their studio output, I think Anthem..., Workingman's and Allah were among the greatest US rock albums of their time.
    Funny, I was disappointed with Blues for Allah. I'd been spoiled by at least one live version of each of the songs before ever hearing the studio album, so it always sounded a bit anemic.

I could NOT be without "Cream Puff Wars" or "Viola Lee Blues" (from the s/t) myself, but I could live without Steal Your Face, which I find to be their weakest official live album by far. If anything, they made a handful of truly uneven studio albums - still even here there were goodies to be had, enough to warrant owning the record.
    Steal Your Face was indeed a terrible record, marred by a variety of bad decisions. It's bizarre to me to think that album and The Grateful Dead Movie (and it's associated soundtrack release) were derived from the same five night Winterland run in October 1974. The Grateful Dead Movie to me is one of the essential documents of the Dead, but Steal Your Face is the exact opposite.

Truthfully, as far as the live albums that were released at the time they were recorded (ie not counting the archival things that have come out in the last 25 or so years), Live/Dead and Europe '72 are the only ones I'd keep. I think the various archival releases and the bootlegs better represent the eras during which the other live albums came from.

But my comment about the first album and Go To Heaven being the only albums I could do without was referring to the studio albums, so Steal Your Face wasn't even being considered as part of that thought process. To be truthful, the first album has Cream Puff War and Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion) and that's about it. But beyond that, there's not much there. The studio version of Viola Lee Blues is ok, but it was much better onstage. In general, though, the first Dead album sounds to me like a band not really sure what it's going to be. You've got a hodgepodge of blues and folk music covers, a couple rock n roll numbers, and one big jam number. They obviously hadn't developed their songwriting abilities yet (note the number of cover tunes present) and I'm not sure if they had made up their minds whether they wanted to be a more blues oriented band, or a folk oriented band, or if they figured out the psychedelic thing, or what.

I think by Anthem Of The Sun, they had their dren much more together, or at least it sounds that way to my ears. According to David Hassinger, the producer Warners assigned to work on the first two Dead albums, says they were too self indulgent in the studio and spent too much time experimenting with no clear idea of what they wanted. But I think the results are much better than the first album,and it seems like they had figured out they were going to have come up with their own songs and that they were definitely going to be a psychedelic band rather than the...whatever you want to call what they were doing on the first record.

I would toss Aoxomoxoa (well, except What Becomes Of The Baby), American Beauty (which I've always liked better than Workingman's Dead), Live/Dead (except for side four), and Europe '72 in there as well.

I would toss Aoxomoxoa (well, except What Becomes Of The Baby), American Beauty (which I've always liked better than Workingman's Dead), Live/Dead (except for side four), and Europe '72 in there as well.
    Well, yes - although I actually enjoy "What Becomes..." and absolutely the Live/Dead side 4 (although I'd easily live without half of "Lovelight"). But I was thinking of studio albums exclusively. Europe '72 has some great stuff, but also a bit too much of the 'Skullfuck upcomings' (i.e. the roots covers bonanza thing they'd do). I love the Glastonbury "Dark Star" (from the same tour), though.

FROM THE GRATEFUL DEAD TICKET OFFICE

IMPORTANT ALERT CONCERNING JULY 3,4 & 5 CHICAGO CONCERTS

Dear Deadhead,

As in days of the past, we have had an overwhelming demand for tickets, and, regrettably, have not been able to fill your order.

We have, though, cashed your money order and used the money to buy pizza and running shoes. It's what Garcia would have wanted.

This isn't the end for you, though. A large assortment of VIP packages is available. Or, you could just blow Parish. That always got you in th show in the old days.

There is also the chance that more seats may become available: we are turning the entire floor into GA, and, as doing that can only lead to every jackass in the stands leaping down onto the field, we are thinking about selling each lower deck seat twice, maybe three times.

The seats behind the stage may also be made available, but only if everyone promises not to look at Bobby's bald spot.

Sincerely,

GDSTOO
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Turns out that arena was way too small, idn't it?

CID (VIP) packages start at over $500 per day.

I'll watch the inevitable webcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    CID (VIP) packages start at over $500 per day.

I'll watch the inevitable webcasts.
    Seriously fuck that shit. I'll hang out in the parking lot and stream the show.

Well, yes - although I actually enjoy "What Becomes..." and absolutely the Live/Dead side 4 (although I'd easily live without half of "Lovelight"). But I was thinking of studio albums exclusively. Europe '72 has some great stuff, but also a bit too much of the 'Skullfuck upcomings' (i.e. the roots covers bonanza thing they'd do). I love the Glastonbury "Dark Star" (from the same tour), though.
    Just for the record, teh "Glastonbury Dark Star" wasn't played at Glastonbury. In fact, the Dead didn't play Glastonbury. That particular track came from a show at the Empire Pool, either the first or second show of the Europe '72 tour (one night they did Dark Star, the other they did The Other One, but I can't remember which is which, without checking the setlists). The full Empire Pool Dark Star can be heard on Stepping Out With The Grateful Dead, which is a four comp of the highlights from the UK shows on that tour. And of course it's on the complete Europe '72 tour boxset, if you've got the cash to buy it.

Just for the record, teh "Glastonbury Dark Star" wasn't played at Glastonbury. In fact, the Dead didn't play Glastonbury. That particular track came from a show at the Empire Pool.
    I know. That's why I wrote "from the same tour" [as E '72].

Just for the record, teh "Glastonbury Dark Star" wasn't played at Glastonbury. In fact, the Dead didn't play Glastonbury. That particular track came from a show at the Empire Pool, either the first or second show of the Europe '72 tour (one night they did Dark Star, the other they did The Other One, but I can't remember which is which, without checking the setlists). The full Empire Pool Dark Star can be heard on Stepping Out With The Grateful Dead, which is a four comp of the highlights from the UK shows on that tour. And of course it's on the complete Europe '72 tour boxset, if you've got the cash to buy it.
    That would be 4/8/72 which is IMNSHO the best Dark Star ever. Rivaled by the excellent 8/27/72 version (officially released a year or two ago) but one is the ying to the other's yang...4/8/72 is exploratory yet remains pretty melodic throughout while 8/27/72 veers into more atonal territory and is a more jarring listen. Both are essential Dark Stars in a live Dead library but if I had only one to take with me to a desert island it would be the Steppin' Out 4/8/72 version. Philadelphia 9/21/72 (released on Dick's Pick's #36 IIRC) rounds out my top 3.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

**SOLD OUT**
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...ially-sold-out
    3 day passes on Ebay going for 10 Grand (so far, another day of bidding on this pair.)-
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-GA-tickets...item25a12d97df
    Wow.

www.dead50.com :
    Thank you to all of the Deadheads for the amazing support that you have shown for the Fare Thee Well shows in Chicago! This morning you broke Ticketmaster’s on-sale record when nearly half a million of you queued up to buy tickets online. If you do not have tickets, please know that we are working on various ways to help everyone experience these shows in a way that will help you share this special moment with us. Stay tuned, and thank you for showing your love, we feel it!

**SOLD OUT**
    3 day passes on Ebay going for 10 Grand (so far, another day of bidding on this pair.)-
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-GA-tickets...item25a12d97df
    Wow.

Winning bid:
    US $11,300

C'mon you Deadheads, charge your credit cards.
    Time to buy 3-days worth of hippy nostalgia...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

If they were to give a free one-off as their very final gig (in a park, for instance),
    I remember when Diana Ross presented NYC with her "gift" of a free show in the 80's in Central Park

The results were not pretty!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."