Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Happy The Man

Thanks a lot for posting the Mike Beck-video. Wow, that was as you're looking into the kitchen and see how those heavenly things were made.

On the Happy The Fan-forum we sometimes had discussions about who's the best drummer in HTM, Mike, Ron Riddle or Coco Roussel. First I was more from the Ron Riddle-camp, because of his more jazz-rocking drumming (somewhat in the Bill Bruford-vein), later I learned to appreciate Mike's percussion-based style a lot more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Thanks a lot for posting the Mike Beck-video. Wow, that was as you're looking into the kitchen and see how those heavenly things were made.

On the Happy The Fan-forum we sometimes had discussions about who's the best drummer in HTM, Mike, Ron Riddle or Coco Roussel. First I was more from the Ron Riddle-camp, because of his more jazz-rocking drumming (somewhat in the Bill Bruford-vein), later I learned to appreciate Mike's percussion-based style a lot more.
    I saw HTM in 77 or 78 at the Warner in DC. The percussionist had a gigantic array of shiny metallic things which when brushed across made a beautiful noise. Which percussionist was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I saw HTM in 77 or 78 at the Warner in DC. The percussionist had a gigantic array of shiny metallic things which when brushed across made a beautiful noise. Which percussionist was that?
    Mike Beck
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Mike Beck
    Do you remember what the 2nd bill was. I thought it was Hot Tuna, but that was questioned.

Do you remember what the 2nd bill was. I thought it was Hot Tuna, but that was questioned.
    I wasn’t there. I answered who was the drummer based on the dates and your description of the set up.

Ron Riddle never played a gig with them until the reformation, and Coco’s kit was nothing like what you described.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Are you talking about the Warner show? Renaissance is who I saw them with.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Yeh, that’s what Stan Whitaker told me. Maybe I transposed memories. My Student Union at NC State had Renaissance and Hot Tuna shows. I need to check my tickets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The answer is no, or at least according to this concert history. This lists that show in February 77 and I didn’t move to MD until May 77. However no Warner date is listed here in 77 or 78 after May 77.

http://everythinghappytheman.com/concerts.html

Banned
    The answer is no, or at least according to this concert history. This lists that show in February 77 and I didn’t move to MD until May 77. However no Warner date is listed here in 77 or 78 after May 77.

http://everythinghappytheman.com/concerts.html
    Here is my theory: Hot Tuna did play shows with HTM. And HTM did play show dates at the Cellar Door. I’m sure Jack Boyle a big promoter for shows in the Mid Atlantic, could have moved a show of HTM and Hot Tuna to Warner because of the size of the crowd.

November 11, 1977: Long Island Arena - Commack, New York, with Hot Tuna

November 23, 1977: Hofstra University - Uniondale, New York with Hot Tuna

July 1, 1978: Two nights at The Cellar Door - Washington, DC

Recently published: live-recordings from Happy The Man, available as downloads on:
    https://happythemanconcerts.bandcamp.com/
    and
    https://happythemandigitalarchive.bandcamp.com/

Recently published: live-recordings from Happy The Man, available as downloads on:
    https://happythemanconcerts.bandcamp.com/
    and
    https://happythemandigitalarchive.bandcamp.com/
    One of those shows on the first site is listed with a price of 6,000 NOK (whatever NOK are, I'm not sure), which translates to US$701.53. Is that right? The other shows are listed as free downloads. What gives?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    NOK is Norwegian Kroner. Good question, not sure who actually posted those. Frank Wyatt has a bunch of downloads on his archives site, but you have to subscribe to get access. It's probably the same material. Well, if you can stream that one via Bandcamp, just do that!

I Posted all of these with the approval of Stanley !
    The problem with FREE DOWNLOADS ON Bandcamp
    Is there is only 200 PER MONTH

The first page will have 200 new free downloads 2nd January 2022
    The second page have still near 100 free downloads left (updated too!)
    Please enjoy streaming from the first page until january 2022

The funny price (6000 NOK) is there so people may stream the music !

He leads a simple life.

Just listened to the Williamsburg and Washington shows. Wow, it reminds me what a great keyboardist Kit Watkins is! Anyone familiar with his more recent work? He doesn't even seem to have a web presence anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Just listened to the Williamsburg and Washington shows. Wow, it reminds me what a great keyboardist Kit Watkins is! Anyone familiar with his more recent work? He doesn't even seem to have a web presence anymore.
    I used to visit Kit's website now and then, but it's indeed gone. Even his Bandcamp-pages can't be found anymore, except those with Bill Smith: https://billsmith.bandcamp.com/
    That being said, the CD Field Of View was (at least from my experience) one of the few albums Kit produced the last 20 years that would be in the progressive rock-vein, together with Flying Petals. Other stuff is more ambient-based.

Unfortunately, the sound on all of these is crap
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Unfortunately, the sound on all of these is crap
    Define "sounds like crap". Are they poor quality audience tapes, or what?

Sounds like someone was holding a microphone in the audience
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

The old Mike Beck vs Ron Riddle debate.

Producer Ken Scott was pissed off that Mike wasn't in the band anymore when they showed up to record Crafty Hands. He almost walked - from what I've been told. Glad he stuck around because he made Riddle sound like Bruford on that record...

I love Happy The Man!!!
    The Prog Corner

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post

Producer Ken Scott was pissed off that Mike wasn't in the band anymore when they showed up to record Crafty Hands. He almost walked - from what I've been told. Glad he stuck around because he made Riddle sound like Bruford on that record...

I love Happy The Man!!!
    Sweet! Ken Scott is a genius. Few understand his accomplishments. He was George Harrison’s favorite, ignoring George Martin who George said had a dull sound, when engineering Abbey Road. AR has Something and Here Comes the Sun, written by Harrison and the most inspirational songs in the history of rock. And then there was Supertramp, absolute phenomenal sound on Crime of the Century and Crisis What Crisis.

Sweet! Ken Scott is a genius. Few understand his accomplishments. He was George Harrison’s favorite, ignoring George Martin who George said had a dull sound, when engineering Abbey Road. AR has Something and Here Comes the Sun, written by Harrison and the most inspirational songs in the history of rock. And then there was Supertramp, absolute phenomenal sound on Crime of the Century and Crisis What Crisis.
    He also practically invented modern drum miking with Billy Cobham.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post

I love Happy The Man!!!
    In his book Abbey Road To Ziggy Stardust Ken Scott writes a bit about his work with Happy The Man. It's true he admired Mike Beck, especially because of his original view on what he hears and what he uses for creating sounds. The reason Scott wanted to walk out of the studio wasn't because of Ron Riddle's technique but because he had to travel a lot and used some "powder" to stay awake, which didn't make his drumming any better. But I agree: Riddle did a great job on Crafty Hands with his Bruford-like style. I was glad he was the man behind the kit during NearFest 2000!
    B.t.w. Scott thought it would have been fun to have Mike Beck working on Crime Of The Century!

In his book Abbey Road To Ziggy Stardust Ken Scott writes a bit about his work with Happy The Man. It's true he admired Mike Beck, especially because of his original view on what he hears and what he uses for creating sounds. The reason Scott wanted to walk out of the studio wasn't because of Ron Riddle's technique but because he had to travel a lot and used some "powder" to stay awake, which didn't make his drumming any better. But I agree: Riddle did a great job on Crafty Hands with his Bruford-like style. I was glad he was the man behind the kit during NearFest 2000!
    B.t.w. Scott thought it would have been fun to have Mike Beck working on Crime Of The Century!
    Yes, that section in the book where Ken speaks in riddles (pun intended) about the “issues” with the band were a bit frustrating to this reader. He was vague enough to not really say anything clear, but of course implied it was bad—nearly a deal breaker—so the mind races on to other possibilities (‘cause I didn’t think he used the word “powder”, but perhaps he did).

I used some "powder" to stay awake,
    As they say in police reports, "a suspicious white, powdery substance", I assume? As if Ron was the first (or only) rock musician to rely such things to make it recording sessions. I remember Steve Lukather kvetching about all the tabloids noting that they found cocaine in Jeff Porcaro's system during the autopsy. Lukather maintained that "everybody did that stuff back int he 70's", and nobody in Toto had touched any of that stuff since the early 80's.