Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hall & Oates- any fans?

Hall & Oates- any fans?

New York, NY (January 15, 2015)'Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inductees Daryl Hall and John Oates are the Number 1 selling duo in music history, with 7 platinum albums, several gold albums, and a string of hit singles, including six US #1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100.

Their Philadelphia-bred blend of rock and soul captured the city's signature sound and brought it to the masses, inspiring a wealth of modern artists, while solidifying their stature as musical icons.

On March 31, Eagle Rock Entertainment will release their first new concert video in seven years: Daryl Hall And John Oates: Live In Dublin on DVD+2CD, Blu-ray and Digital Formats [Pre-book Order Date March 6, MSRP TBA]

The film kicks off with a direct quote about the heart and soul of this group: 'It's not about stadiums and smoke bombs'it's about real playing.' And that's exactly what's delivered on Live In Dublin.

Filmed at the Olympia Theatre on July 15, 2014, this set features the duo's first ever concert performance in Dublin. Daryl Hall and John Oates dipped into their 40+ year rich repertoire to deliver a setlist steeped in hits: 'Sara Smile,' 'I Can't Go For That (No Can Do),' 'Out Of Touch,' 'Kiss On My List,' 'Private Eyes,' 'Rich Girl,' 'Maneater,' and many more. It's fitting that this high-energy 15-song concert film traverses songs from across their career, as Hall promises the audience that their 'making up for lost time' in a city they've never performed in before.

As a bonus, the DVD also features an interview with Daryl Hall and John Oates.

Philly-style soul served up with stellar musicianship ' that's exactly what's in store with Live In Dublin.

Eagle Rock Entertainment is the largest producer and distributor of music programming for DVD, Blu-Ray, TV and Digital Media in the world. Eagle works directly alongside talent to produce top quality, High Definition programs, both concerts and documentaries, including The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Queen, The Doors, Jeff Beck, Peter Gabriel, Paul McCartney, Ozzy Osbourne, Genesis, Alice Cooper, Eric Clapton and Aerosmith. Eagle is a Grammy Award winning company and has received over 40 multi-platinum, over 80 platinum and over 144 gold discs, worldwide. Eagle Rock Entertainment has offices in London, New York, Paris and Hamburg.

Follow Eagle Rock Entertainment at:
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/EagleRockEnt
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/EagleRockNews
    YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/eaglerocktv

TRACK LISTING
    1) Maneater
    2) Out Of Touch
    3) Say It Isn't So
    4) Family Man
    5) It's Uncanny
    6) Back Together Again
    7) Las Vegas Turnaround
    8) She's Gone
    9) Sara Smile
    10) Do What You Want, Be What You Are
    11) I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
    12) Rich Girl
    13) You Make My Dreams
    14) Kiss On My List
    15) Private Eyes

Suspended
    I like them without needing to own any of their music. I certainly don't switch stations shen their songs come on the radio.

Too bad "One on One" isn't on that setlist; that's the best song of theirs that I know.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I like them without needing to own any of their music. I certainly don't switch stations shen their songs come on the radio.

Too bad "One on One" isn't on that setlist; that's the best song of theirs that I know.
    I confess to liking this blue eyed soul duo. Interesting book about them by author Nick Tosches quite a few years back. Daryll Hall a pretty forward thinking artist worked with Fripp before. "Shes gone" is my favorite song by them.
    Still alive and well...

Love 'em. This looks like a nice set. Too many great songs to fit them all into one setlist, but this one should be enjoyable.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

No.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No.
    That's some valuable input right there. Kudos.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well written songs, a great live backing band with exemplary musicianship, and incredible vocals - sometimes including up to 7-part harmonies

I mean, seriously: Whats not to like?

Sure. They were great. Best duo of the 80s.

Great stuff, AM radio!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I have some of their stuff. They made great records. 'She's Gone' is probably my favourite though they had a run of strong singles in the 80s. Some of those have been covered or sampled on other people's hits, decades later- 'I Can't Go For That' and 'Out Of Touch' spring to mind.

Suspended
    It's also worth mentioning the trivium that John Oates co-wrote "Electric Blue", the biggest hit for Australian band Icehouse.

I don't have any of their albums, but I always liked their hits. Darryl Hall sings his ass off! He has a cable tv show called "Live From Darryl's House," or something like that, where he has different musical artists play with him and his band. I watched it for the first time about 2 weeks ago when Joe Walsh was the guest; it was great!

Yeah, "Live from Daryl's House" is a revelation, and it's surprising that a younger artist/label/agent-type of person didn't come up with the idea first.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I don't own any deep albums from their catalog or anything, but I've always liked them. I still love "I Can't Go For That". It was probably my first favorite song.
    Chad

I only have a couple of compilations from them. I'm probably the odd man out as a fringe fan in that I prefer their cheesy 80s output over a majority of their r&b stuff.

My playlist looks like this:

I only ever owned War Babies and I think I don't have it on vinyl any more,but not real sure. Def. their best album for me and I suspect most fans have never heard of it.

Rundgren produced that one.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I like them without needing to own any of their music. I certainly don't switch stations when their songs come on the radio.
    Pretty much my take as well. Like other hit-makers I don't have much use for (e.g., Steely Dan, Billy Joel, Elton John) these guys are fucking good at what they do.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I really loved Hall & Oats up until Maneater. After that, I have trouble stomaching their songs.

Abandoned Luncheonette is a masterpiece, and I find it funny that 3 of my children (21 - 27) also love it and I believe own copies of it. I really enjoyed their early 80's hits such as Wait for Me, Kiss on my List, You've Lost that Loving Feeling, Everytime you Go Away, Private Eyes, Did it in a Minute, Family Man

HATE - Method of Moderl Love, Adult Education, Say it Isn't So, One on One, Maneater (the woman is wild whoooo), I Can't go for that.

But anytime I listen to them, its Abandoned Luncheonette. Every time.

Ill take them over phil collins....
    Still alive and well...

I liked them as a kid but haven't paid much attention to them in several years(apart from seeing them live on tv during a rainy fourth of July concert several years ago(2007 maybe). I even had one or two of their cassettes(H20 and maybe one other one as well as some of their singles).

I think they might be the first band to have a "product placement" in one of their album covers(bigger than the both of us).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Was that the pontiac fiero?
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rangershockey7 View Post
    I really enjoyed their early 80's hits such as Wait for Me
    One my absolute faves. Such an underrated song.

I liked their Atlantic period the best. Well, Whole Oats wasn’t much more than a Simon & Garfunkel rehash but they improved big time on Abandoned Luncheonette and War Babies. Their RCA stuff had its moments up to Big Bam Boom, where the cheesy 80s took over.

And you’ll definitely hear no cheap potshots directed at John Oates from me!

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I have never been a fan, but have gained new found respect since Hall started his “Live From Darrell’s House” TV show. Some of those are really fun and Hall is obviously a very talented guy. I don’t think I will ever buy a Hall and Oats album, but I can appreciate what they have done.