Thread: Kickstarter for bringing "the Brits" for a mini fest

Kickstarter for bringing "the Brits" for a mini fest

Hi guys

I am looking into this possbility for Esoteric. I would like peoples input. I note the one for Canada didnt work and would like peoples input on why this was so, do you think it was because it was Canada? the artists concerned or other reasons!

The reason this appeals is that it is possible at least to know in advance if something is going to fly or sink! as it takes a lot of work/effort.

My personal feelings are to bring several of our "bigger named bands" plus several of the younger bands/artists. A straight one dayer on a Saturday from 3.00pm through to close.

My choice of venue would probably be somewhere around an 800-1200 seater venue (maybe the Keswick, other suggestions welcome)

I myself am very aware you cannot just "market" to this community both at Kickstarter stage or post that stage.

Would probably go for late September/early October.

Comments and thoughts appreciated.

I don't know about the Canadian fest, but I have heard a recurring theme from Brits and Europeans as to why they don't tour over here (besides the obvious -- the inability to know ahead of time whether or not it will be worth the expense) is "visa problems".
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Vicky, I'm out of the loop; which Brits are these, precisely? Hadn't heard about the Canadian tour kick start..

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'd be up for it. Details, we need details!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

[QUOTE=Dusty Chalk;359039]I don't know about the Canadian fest, but I have heard a recurring theme from Brits and Europeans as to why they don't tour over here (besides the obvious -- the inability to know ahead of time whether or not it will be worth the expense) is "visa problems".[/QUOTE

The main issue is needing a sponsor which I can do. Cost is the other factor visa wise and hence I would factor in, I am not 100% sure yet who I would bring, hence why I haven't just Gone ahead! I was more interested if people had thoughts on venues, time of year etc , the Canadian event I mentioned was a line up that looked good to me on paper and they used Kickstarter too but didn't raise sufficient to go ahead, as Kickstarter is all or nothing.

Have you thought of possibly teaming up with one of the established prog festivals or promoters in the U.S.? I guess I am thinking people the NJ Proghouse guys, NEWears, Orion, Progtoberfest, ProgDay, Calprog or others that are escaping my mind at the moment. Bringing over a package deal of overseas bands might be appealing to some of these folks.

I would probably link up with one of these for some organisational aspects that are hard to arrange from far away , don't want to do an outdoor event by the way.

So in my incomplete understanding of this would kick starter backers be at different levels with a variety of payoffs. At a base level a donation, then a ticket, then a patron ticket and so on. You have a potential roster of bands. The goal of the kick start would be determined by costs of that roster plus a venue to be determined and a production budget. I have only day dreamed about a show like that, but it usually involved having won the lottery first.
    Not trying to be snarky. Just trying to get a better handle on the concept.
    There are a couple of your bands that would be very nice to see here.

What kind on money is needed from a benefactor

What genra is of interest to the organizers

One option could be a package tour where the bands and label all share in the costs. Maybe try a short run in the northeast to see how things go (Montreal, Albany, Boston, NYC, New Jersey, Philly, Baltimore/DC). My line-up would be Headliner: Van der Graaf Generator(90min), Special guest: Bill Nelson(I know this is a long shot. I would support any effort to get him over here for a few shows)(60min), Anthony Phillips(50min), then maybe one or two newer bands at about 30min each.

If a festival is the way you will go then I would keep the same line-up but add a few more bands and adjust the timings as necessary. Also I would see if you could get a band to reunite to perform a classic album that Esoteric have reissued. I had Swaddling Songs by Mellow Candle in mind here but I am sure there are others you could try to do. Here in New Jersey there are a few theaters that fit the bill, Bergen PAC, South Orange (SOPAC), the MAYO in Morristown...these are all easily accessible and close to NYC. In southern New Jersey there is the Scottish Rite Auditorium in Collingswood which is not far from Philadelphia.

Good luck with the endeavor, I look forward to hearing of any progress and any way I can help support the plan.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    My choice of venue would probably be somewhere around an 800-1200 seater venue (maybe the Keswick, other suggestions welcome)
    That number seems actually extremely optimistic, unless you are bringing larger bands than what you post makes me think of.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    East coast, smaller venue, between April and September.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    That number seems actually extremely optimistic, unless you are bringing larger bands than what you post makes me think of.
    I possibly would bring a band "not" on Esoteric but would I think make that venue size possible

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    I possibly would bring a band "not" on Esoteric but would I think make that venue size possible
    CAMEL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    CAMEL!!!
    Is on Esoteric !!

Big Big Train
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Is on Esoteric !!
    Oops, I forgot. I have the earlier remasters.