Thread: Pirate versions on several titles

Pirate versions on several titles

Hi guys

Thanks to a vigilant fan of the label, it has come to my attention that there are unauthorised copies out there of both Quintessence titles we have done plus Wigwams Lucky Golden Stripes.

None of these titles had bar codes on the backs of discs and sticker text was "printed" onto the booklet. These were bought off ebay and we "never" print sticker text on to the booklet and always have UPC codes on mirrorbands. As the guy said the Cds theselves didnt look like factory replicated CDs either.

If I can just mention if something looks suspiciously cheap, unless its from an individual just getting rid of a few Cds and its second hand, if its a "trader" be very aware it may well be pirate copies. They are marketing them as Esoteric versions.

Personally I would rather everyone bought from a reputable trader they know well (Wayside, Lasers Edge, Kinesis Greg Walker, Burning Shed etc) Amazon in the UK (and not marketplace -- yes they have their faults but do give labels the luxury of stocking everything you do) or buy direct from the label itself .

Please be aware that these pirate traders (and Im talking about those manufacturing these versions, not necssarily the "traders" ) , pay no licensing, no royalties, no publishing, and are ripping off both artists and customers and clearly dont just go after the "big boys" . they are also stopping the reputable traders mentioned above selling you legit copies. We also have no control over what quality you might be getting.

Thanks for your time

Vicky

Jesus. Sorry to hear this Vicky. Bad enough it being done at all, but to the small indies who are having to work extra hard these days to remain viable? Unconscionable.

Yes, you really have to be diligent as a buyer. It wasn't too long ago I picked up an Alquin The Mountain Queen CD on Esoteric from ebay that was clearly a pirate (no markings on the CD itself). I told the dealer it was not legit, and he gave me my money back, no questions asked. And told me to keep the CD (I suspect he knew it...). I gave it away to a friend who hadn't heard it before, and I think he ended up buying the CD from Greg after hearing the music. I already had it on LP and CD (Polydor).

"If I can just mention if something looks suspiciously cheap, unless its from an individual just getting rid of a few Cds and its second hand, if its a "trader" be very aware it may well be pirate copies."

Agreed. I think distinguishing between collectors and dealers (on ebay at least) is key on this topic.

Sucks that happened and is happening. I've worked with quite a few bands who have had dirty pirates dupe their material.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Personally I would rather everyone bought from a reputable trader they know well (Wayside, Lasers Edge, Kinesis Greg Walker, Burning Shed etc)
    I know one from your list that I would be cautious with. I wouldn't trust a seller who knowingly sells unauthorized material such as this:

It's not fair to fans who think they are getting an authorized item. Also, it could cause damage and affect any future official release. It's unfortunate.

Yes I am aware , if I can mention though that in our case I know that legit copies are purchased.

The fact is eBay doesn't have interest stopping the counterfeit sellers. They are making money because of their sales.
    What I'm told years ago by Vicky and someone at Seventh records, it's nearly impossible for the licence holder to stop these sellers.

It' a weird world!

Yes That is the case and some ebay traders to be frank don't always care a jot.

The most frustrating part is that eBay doesn't give a damn selling counterfeit cd's. EBay is a criminal organisation imho.