Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Gilbert - THUD 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

I hung out with Russ Parrish this past Friday -- which happened to be his birthday. If you haven't seen the band he is in, Steel Panther, then get out to a show. Russ performs as the character 'Satchel' and is very funny and extremely raunchy!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is the band a parody of metal bands?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is the band a parody of metal bands?
    Yes. A very raunchy parody. Hilarious! Check video on YouTube

I've got to check them out. Our guitarist Eric played their stuff on the way back from Quebec to NJ and I was laughing my ass off.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I've got to check them out. Our guitarist Eric played their stuff on the way back from Quebec to NJ and I was laughing my ass off.
    If you liked the music, the show is 10x better. They bring some of the female audience on stage at every show to dance during some songs. Some of those women should not be up there... and Steel Panther make the audience aware of that! I can post some pics from last Friday of the women on stage, but some might be NSFW as one gal wore a mini skirt that she then hiked up to her waist while on stage....

OMG! I'll try getting the boys out to see them. We need a break to just laugh!

I was familiar with the name of KG, but none of the music when I was gifted the cd of TSOTT last summer and subsequently played the living crap out of it. Found Thud on Amazon Music and devoured that as well. I just purchased the 3-disc Thud box and have been listening to all of it for the last week or so. What an enormous talent this guy was. While it's very cool to hear all of the alternate versions of the material, the ones that really turned my head were the alternate versions of 'Song for a Dead Friend' on discs two and three (the latter listed as 'Song for Michael"). The version on the original release is so amazingly stark and powerful, and the guitar version has a similar feel, but with more intimacy. The 'Song For Michael' version, though, with its completely different set of harmonies and corresponding melodic choices is like a completely different song. Still heartfelt and powerfully melancholy, but at the same time uplifting in a way that never occurred to me with the other versions. And Gilbert's voice on the "Michael" version in combination with the new harmonies is evocative of James Taylor - and I mean that in the most complimentary way. At any rate, I wanted to chime in here and say thanks for all the work that went into this set, and getting it out there to those of us who needed to hear it.

Gruno, are there any further plans for TSOTT? The cd I was gifted was exactly that: the naked disc from the most recent release, with no case, notes or book of any kind. I'd love to support the estate by buying it legit, but it appears to be unavailable.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

^thanks for chiming in proggy_jazzer. I don't think you're alone in trying to find copies of Shaming, as the only ones I've seen of late have been on places like ebay, discogs and Amazon marketplace for incredibly expensive rates.
    But I know many other fans are seeking them out like yourself.

edit: looks like there's 1 for sale for $30 https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1046751391

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    ^thanks for chiming in proggy_jazzer. I don't think you're alone in trying to find copies of Shaming, as the only ones I've seen of late have been on places like ebay, discogs and Amazon marketplace for incredibly expensive rates.
    But I know many other fans are seeking them out like yourself.

edit: looks like there's 1 for sale for $30 https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1046751391
    I saw that one too, but when you look more closely it's the one without the insert/case: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/9774489?ev=rb (this information is on the right side of the page from your link).

https://www.facebook.com/kevingilber...type=3&theater

The Estate of Kevin Gilbert is pleased to announce that The Shaming Of The True, and Giraffe’s two albums (The Power of Suggestion/The View From Here) will be re-released very soon. We have also been working to bring you never-before heard/viewed content that will be available for purchase later this year at KevinGilbert.com

We thank you for your continued patience and ongoing support while we were away working on these very special treats.

Be safe & stay tuned!

KevinGilbert.com
    facebook.com/kevingilbertofficial

^ Great news. I'm in for a copy of TSOTT.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

I've been taking a FaceBreak for the past few weeks, so thanks for the heads-up! My only copy of TSOTT is the cd from the last release, minus any of the packaging, so I'll be glad to have the book and all. Glad to see the Giraffe material available as well.
    David

That's some good news, especially about the "never heard/seen content". And for the Giraffe-rerelease I hope they do a bit better job on the artwork; the last re-issue in that single cartbord sleeve was so unattractive, especially compared with the wonderful work they did with Thud and the deluxe TSOTT.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    That's some good news, especially about the "never heard/seen content". And for the Giraffe-rerelease I hope they do a bit better job on the artwork; the last re-issue in that single cartbord sleeve was so unattractive, especially compared with the wonderful work they did with Thud and the deluxe TSOTT.
    This is an interesting topic. First off, thanks for the compliments on the packaging for Thud.

To understand the 2012 re-releases of Giraffe CDs we must first venture backwards in time...

In the late 90s, with email lists/groups in full swing, there were various Kevin Gilbert fan groups. The Estate eventually gave their official nod towards one particular Yahoo Group: "Lawnmower & Garden Supplies Group" -- named after Kevin's recording studio. Within that group, fans would opine with their wish lists of official releases. Giraffe would always come up. Their first CD, The Power Of Suggestion, was the first ever independent CD released, and was also initialed and numbered with black Sharpie by Kevin. Originals had averaged $250-$500 on eBay with high end sales reaching close to $1000 at one point. Fans asked, pleaded, begged... demanded... Just release the damned thing!... Yes, that was one of the tame requests.

In 2012, Nick D'Virgilio was set to perform The Shaming of The True, in Whittier, California. Jon Rubin (Executor of Kevin Estate) and I were discussing possibilities of new merchandise exclusive at this performance. He wanted to add a special Shaming pin, which came out very nice. He also offered to make available about 10 of the original Limited Book Editions, which have been sold out since 2000. Also, 10 sealed original Giraffe Power Of Suggestion CDs! If I recall correctly, the Giraffe CDs sold for $50 each and the TSOTT Books sold for $75. The point wasn't to fleece the fans. It was to make available an option to get something that was already sold out that you could possibly obtain, and at a below market price. We had those interested sign up at the march table and we had the theater staff randomly choose names on those lists. At the end of the night, those patrons could come by the merch table and purchase their CD.

The other items for sale included both Giraffe CDs and also Kevin's first band, NRG -- for the first time on CD. Kevin wasn't too fond of having Giraffe repressed for whatever reason. He went back and forth with it. The decision was made to re-release the CDs with cardboard covers. This packaging was chosen for a number of reasons. One reason was because, at the time, there wasn't any great amount of information to construct any type of deluxe packaging. The decision was made to NOT release them in single jewel case form as to respect the original releases. Since fans clamored to simply have the tracks to listen to, releasing these discs in cardboard slip covers also meant that production cost would be lower and the selling price would align with that.

I have to say we kicked ass on those! John Cuniberti went to work on the audio transfers. We had zero artwork to begin. Everything was meticulously reconstructed between myself and Hugh Brown, longtime KG art director. NRG was the most challenging, but we were able to deconstruct my original LP and the results turned out very pleasing. We honored the tradition of the originals by all opting out of having our production credits listed. With all that said, (forgive my memory on this) I believe they went on sale at the merch table for $12 each, and there was some bundle deal if you purchased all three. Again, the idea was to provide the music and keep the cost low for all involved.

After this event, the CDs went on sale at Kevin's website the following week. Through the years, they have sold consistently with multiple repressings. Shortly, they will be available once again.

That's the history of the Giraffe re-issues. Hope that clears it up.

On a side note, I love box sets and enlarged music packaging, such as LP-sized coffee table style or book-format. The way we did Thud was, I thought, perfect. I would love for that format to have been a series of 'books' that are on your shelf for every KG release. That would be cost-prohibitive, unfortunately. So, we come up with alternatives...

Stay Tuned.

Thanks for the background on all that! Prompted by the recent Guy Pratt ‘Last Plane Out’ post, I sought out a used copy of Toy Matinee that will be arriving soon. That plus the forthcoming releases you mention will get me closer to completion of the KG catalog.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Thanks for the background on all that! Prompted by the recent Guy Pratt ‘Last Plane Out’ post, I sought out a used copy of Toy Matinee that will be arriving soon. That plus the forthcoming releases you mention will get me closer to completion of the KG catalog.
    I hope you got one of the later editions, which has some fine bonus-tracks. The DVD-A with the 5.1 mix is also very good.

And Grunno: thanks for the information. I remember the arguments for the "budget"-covers of those Giraffe and NRG-re-releases, the reason I brought it up was that this is the time to give them some more body. The title and bandname on the side (spine) so you can find it back in your collection is welcome ;-)

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    "Toy Matinee" in 5.1 is indeed excellent.
    Chad

I received the used copy of TM in the mail yesterday, and as I suspected it was simply the original CD issue, with no bonus tracks or other extras. Fine with me, as the price was right (under $6). It sounds very good to me, and, while I haven't given it the listenings yet that I will over the next week or so, I already find the writing and performances to be excellent. I don't have the equipment for surround (beyond a soundbar and a sub with my TV), but if this is a part of the upcoming releases and has bonus tracks I'll probably bite anyway. For now, it's just another bit of concrete evidence of KG's enormous talent.
    David

For clarification, refer to post #76 in this thread to understand why there will not be any unreleased Toy Matinee studio tracks/demos/excerpts released by the Estate of Kevin Gilbert:

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Except for the 'notes', you just described Nuts & Bolts. Those contain material dating back to the 80s and also includes acoustic versions of Toy Matinee & THUD songs.

You have a good idea; it's actually one that keeps coming up behind the scenes for the past few years. Unfortunately, the Estate does not own Toy Matinee or THUD, which means any tracks wanting to get used from those must first be licensed by their respective owners. I highly doubt that process will happen. There's simply too many hoops to jump through. It was difficult enough obtaining the rights for a limited run of THUD. Getting that license took so much time and negotiating. For any possible future releases, I think it is best to stay with what is owned by the Estate of Kevin Gilbert. It would be a huge holy grail to release the Tuesday Music Club sessions & jams -- yeah, but the sign-offs & publishing would be ridiculous to obtain. The demos Kevin did with just he and Sheryl Crow and an acoustic guitar would sell like crazy, but, ya know...

I do have some ideas and thoughts on a package that is based off of an idea similar to yours.

Understood, and thanks.
    David

That plus the forthcoming releases you mention will get me closer to completion of the KG catalog.
    As a collector of Kevin's work I'm curious what you've already got.
    My KG catalogue has albums from Keith Emerson, Kevin Gilbert (& Thud), Marc Bonilla, Various artists (Supper’s Ready) / (Giant Tracks) / (Progfest '94), David Baerwald, Giraffe, Kaviar, Keedy, Mike Keneally, NDV, No Two, NRG, Linda Perry, Tim Pierce, The Rubinoos, J. Scott Smith, Spock’s Beard and Toy Matinee.
    I can do without the Michael Jackson-stuff though

My KG catalogue has albums from Keith Emerson, Kevin Gilbert (& Thud), Marc Bonilla, Various artists (Supper’s Ready) / (Giant Tracks) / (Progfest '94), David Baerwald, Giraffe, Kaviar, Keedy, Mike Keneally, NDV, No Two, NRG, Linda Perry, Tim Pierce, The Rubinoos, J. Scott Smith, Spock’s Beard and Toy Matinee.
    You're missing some. Riverdogs? Sheryl Crow? Roxette? Dream Academy? Wire Train?

I'll give you a lead on one that I have not seen any Kevin Gilbert collector obtain:

Kevin Gilbert-Musician
    Co-composed the title song "NEVER END" on ASKA solo album NEVER END

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I'll give you a lead on one that I have not seen any Kevin Gilbert collector obtain:

Kevin Gilbert-Musician
    This? https://www.amazon.com/Never-End-Aska/dp/B00005J4RB
    Chad

That's an impressive list! I'm a latecomer to all things KG, and I don't have anything currently other than Thud (3 disc edition), TSotT, and TM. The only thing I can think of that you don't mention is the 'Tales From Yesterday' tribute album, but I'll bet that was just an oversight on your part
    David

That's an impressive list! I'm a latecomer to all things KG, and I don't have anything currently other than Thud (3 disc edition), TSotT, and TM. The only thing I can think of that you don't mention is the 'Tales From Yesterday' tribute album, but I'll bet that was just an oversight on your part
    No not really an oversight; I'm not such a big Yes-fan, that's all.

You're missing some. Riverdogs? Sheryl Crow? Roxette? Dream Academy? Wire Train?

Kevin Gilbert-Musician
    I believe my wife has the Sheryl Crow. I know of his participation on Wire Train. The others I've indeed missed, like a couple of others from https://www.discogs.com/artist/90185...0&type=Credits (Eddie Money ect.) I check out this list once in a while and get the feeling there are "new" collaborations every time.