Thread: Billy Sherwood is mixing the new Yes DVD filmed in Mesa,Az.

Billy Sherwood is mixing the new Yes DVD filmed in Mesa,Az.

Don't know if this has already been shared but I just saw it at facebook. He started mixing what we all presume will be Close To The Edge and Fragile in concert.

Hopefully in 5:1 this time????

I never saw any Billy Mix in 5.1. I think that he don't have experience with that format. I don't like the stereo mixes that he did, sounds very weird, tiny, burocratic and outdated. Man, why isolate the Howe's guitar in one side of the stereo image? Sounds like the weird firsts stereo mixes from the 60's! Squared, confined. The Maor Appelbaum Mastering don't help also, very quiet for an live album. I'm totally disappointed with the sound of the last DVD (and I expected it because it was Billy on the board)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    I don't like the stereo mixes that he did, sounds very weird, tiny, burocratic and outdated.
    I've never heard someone say a mix sounds bureaucratic. Does Billy Sherwood or Yes have their own government agency somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    I've never heard someone say a mix sounds bureaucratic. Does Billy Sherwood or Yes have their own government agency somewhere?
    English is not my first Language. Some words or expressions are untranslatable, sorry. I mean "bureaucratic": due to its administrative rigidity, inadequate standards and lots of regulations. These aspects produce results contrary to the expected.

Cool!

I was at the show so would love to have a live recording.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yoso horny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    English is not my first Language. Some words or expressions are untranslatable, sorry. I mean "bureaucratic": due to its administrative rigidity, inadequate standards and lots of regulations. These aspects produce results contrary to the expected.
    That's a fine way to describe something. I may borrow that in the future.

It makes to pan Steve in a live recording when it matches where he's standing on the stage. Personally, I like that separation in a mix anyway, but in Yes studio recordings Steve is usually center with the bass and drums so it is different.

I think Sherwood's got a tin ear.

Billy does these mixes with Yes on Skype monitoring everything. He's not just going for it willy nilly folks.