Thread: Old Americana

Old Americana

The old music starts to die....

1933 Jimmie Rodgers dies
    1953 Bob Wills releases an album called "Old Time Favorites" The title says it all.
    1953 - Hank Williams dies
    1962 - Woody Guthrie releases an album called "Woody Guthrie sings Folk Songs" Now, the fact that it says "sings Folk Songs" was a sure indicator that WG had hitched his waggon to the folk revival with the new folk styles of Joan, Tom and Bob and the others screaming up the charts and that the old music was gone forever!

The End...Pop is born.

But seriously, what are some of your favourite old songs?

Suspended
    Was there more than one Jimmie Rodgers? Obviously this is a different guy from the Jimmie Rodgers who sang "The World I Used to Know" in about 1964.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 01-14-2015 at 05:39 AM.

Actually, there were three that I know of, but maybe more.

Jimmie Rodgers "The Singing Brakeman" "The Mississippi Blue Yodeler" "The grandpappy of country music" - 1897-1933
    Jimmy Rogers - the great Black blues guitarist who worked lots with Muddy Waters - 1924-1997

AND the dude you are thinking of Jimmie (F.) Rodgers - "Windmills of Your Mind" the smooth "pop" singer who started out in the
    50s - born 1933 and still alive as far as I know.

That said, the F never appeared on his albums, it was just Jimmie Rodgers, exactly the same as the original old country and blues singer!

Too many old ones to consider a fave and post videos of. I love the old Americana.

This is actually quite interesting, because I was going to start a thread about the very same topic.

Here's a stream I listen to quite often:

http://www.venerableradio.com/

It has everything old. Jazz, blues, folk, country, international, etc. You'll even hear sermons, home-made records and more. It's like someone went to every flea market they could find and digitized any disc they came across. Much of this is hard to listen to for the average person. I love it, though. I was going to post about looking for similar streams, but I thought I might create some bizarre reactions.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Thanks, I've noted the station name to listen to this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Thanks, I've noted the station name to listen to this evening.
    Just keep in mind that, by international, I mean anything you could imagine. You might hearing long, whining Indian music, then some home-made hawaiian folk number, or even someone's grandmother from 1942 reciting some old family poem. It's about as eclectic as you can get pre-1940.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You might hearing long, whining Indian music, then some home-made hawaiian folk number or even someone's grandmother from 1942 reciting some old family poem. It's about as eclectic as you can get pre-1940.
    Perfect!